View Full Version : 50 watts enough?

ChrisC
12-05-2005, 11:18 AM
im getting the Alpine spr-17ls component speakers and they run at 70 watts rms

i dont know what amp to get, i work at best buy and i can choose from:

the rockford p2002 which provides 50 rms, for about $100

or rockford p3002 which provides 75 rms, for about $140

i can also get that the alpine MRP-T220 which is 50 rms for about $75

exactly how loud is 50 watts anyway, i dont plan on going to competitions anyway, i just want loud, louder than what my 50x4 headunit provides right now

gHOstFaCe
12-05-2005, 11:29 AM
either one of teh Rockford amps you listed will get louder then your 50w HU power

squeak9798
12-05-2005, 11:32 AM
exactly how loud is 50 watts anyway,

That's not really a valid question.

The question is, "how loud could these speakers get off of 50w power input.

And the answer to that, is louder than you would probably ever need. People underestimate sometimes how loud 50w to a set of decent components really can get.

Sure, there are people who use a "300w per channel" amp on their components....but the reality is that they aren't actually sending their components anywhere even remotely close to that power figure.

louder than what my 50x4 headunit provides right now

FYI, headunits only provide around 10-15w RMS. That "50x4" figure is max power...which is meaningless.

Anyways....you'll be fine with a 50w per channel amp.

ChrisC
12-05-2005, 09:11 PM
i c...

Chriscivic
12-07-2005, 10:38 AM
a underated 85x4 amp was not loud enough for me on my type r components. i even bridged it once to give each speaker and tweeter 220rms and it still wasn't that loud and they started to smell. i don't see how people say all you need is 30-50 watts,etc. if you want loud get more power and something besides type r's. if you just want louder than what you got than the 50 watts would work i guess

squeak9798
12-07-2005, 10:43 AM
a underated 85x4 amp was not loud enough for me on my type r components. i even bridged it once to give each speaker and tweeter 220rms and it still wasn't that loud and they started to smell. i don't see how people say all you need is 30-50 watts,etc. if you want loud get more power and something besides type r's. if you just want louder than what you got than the 50 watts would work i guess

Install = everything. ;)

There are certain speakers I wouldn't suggest running lower power levels on (like BA Pro's)....but in general, 50w will get almost any component set louder than you'd ever need if installed properly.

Chevyaudio
12-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Im running 50watts on my Typr R comps...But I have a feeling I will be upgrading soon hmmmm DLS

Tempe
12-07-2005, 12:18 PM
FYI, headunits only provide around 10-15w RMS. That "50x4" figure is max power...which is meaningless.

Anyways....you'll be fine with a 50w per channel amp.

1. I never get that. Why do people think that their head units put out so much power? Look at a 50 x 4 amp. Look how freakin big it is compared to your head unit. Speaking of size of head unit does the amplifier take up most of the room inside? Actually it uses a little chip. Yes, a chip. I remember when Pioneer came out with the Mosfet 45 chip and making a huge deal about how much bigger it was compared to a conventional chip. There is no way in hell that you are going to get 50x4 clean watts out of any head unit. I would go for a component amplifier on my fronts in every install I do.

2. Anyways is not a word :p: I am running about 50x2 on my RE comp set. I cannot see using more power. The amp is a 4 channel amp, I bridged it to 2 channels, and it just was a waste of extra power; it had to be turned down anyway. 50 watts per side is plenty for your your conventional 2-way component set.

Tempe

Cris
12-07-2005, 03:43 PM

weren't you arguing earlier this week that you never "overpowered" your speakers (claiming no clipping or distortion) and yet your type-R components "inexpicably" blew? That alpine blows? So much for the hype?

Now you're saying you ran 220rms and they started smelling? Well, there's your answer.

-cris

nissanrider06
12-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Pwnd!!!!!!!

Justinw303
12-07-2005, 04:29 PM

Ok, so even if my Kenwood HU says 22 x 4 watts RMS, it's really only 10-15 watts?

squeak9798
12-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Ok, so even if my Kenwood HU says 22 x 4 watts RMS, it's really only 10-15 watts?

It was an average. But I wouldn't be surprised if it only does ~15wpc RMS at a reasonable distortion figure. Another good trick HU companies do is provide those "RMS" power ratings at 10% THD.

Panasonic was hailed as producing one of the highest powered headunits ever.....and it produced 26w per channel. Putting this much power into a headunit was a miraculous thing.

ismelllikepoop
12-07-2005, 06:15 PM
if 50w is fine, then why do so many ppl use much stronger amps for components?

Cris
12-07-2005, 06:16 PM
if 50w is fine, then why do so many ppl use much stronger amps for components?

Because nobody is here because they want a system that's just "fine." Everyone wants a great sounding, loud, powerful system.

Don't confuse "fine" with good, excellent, or incredible. 50 watts will play your music and get louder than your head-unit, but it won't be amazingly great either. It'll be just that.. fine, by which we mean... good enough.

-cris

squeak9798
12-07-2005, 08:10 PM
I'd disagree. 50w is more than ample in most situations for great sound.

I had "just" 50w on my midbass back when I was running horns.....and you would have thought I had a subwoofer in my car. The mids sounded fantastic. Not "for the power"....but flat out fantastic. And they are of average efficiency.

Honestly, people underestimate just how much power 50w really is, or what 50w per side can really do.

M@nJo
12-08-2005, 02:07 AM
im running polk components (91db sensitivity) and some 6x9 jbl gto 639 (3-ways)

their amped with 40wrms each channel (alpine F240) and its plently enough for me. i could turn up the volume 95% and i can still hear the lyrics off hip-hop music. im sure with rock, it'd be even clearer.

i honestly think 50w per channel will do good. unless your some sort of audiophile

///M5
12-08-2005, 02:14 AM
Umm, yeah 50w is enough to run some tweets..

CobraGT
12-16-2005, 11:26 PM
I'm glad to see this thread. I've got the Type R comps also and the Alpine HU can't push them beyond the 20 setting. I've been contemplating what to get to push them for the longest time. Almost got the Alpine T220, but I've got to power the deck speakers also. Say what you will, I definitely like sound in the back. And they need the power too.

The perfect amp might be the MRV-F345 (75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms @ 14V) which goes for $ 260 on Ebay. However, it's hard not to go with the MRV-F545 (125 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms @ 14V)which goes for $ 330. Even though it might be overkill I still I want it :yumyum: Just hate to have 20 RMS W out of reach.

I agree though. My current level is fine, but if there is ever a time I want someone to hear clarity outside the car...I'm out of luck. Or there is a killer song on that I've just got to turn up. I'm reminded it would be nice to be a little louder than the HU will allow!

Also I've been contemplating potentially the need for a bigger power wire with the 545. I'm still leaning toward the 345. Maybe once it's time to roll down the windows this summer...I'll be ready to make a selection! In the winter ~22 to 24 Watts isn't that bad.

JoseMCeee
12-16-2005, 11:39 PM
I was fine with a 65x4 sony amp and I doubt that was even close to what it was putting out. I should have just upgraded my wiring and installed my setup better before wandering into the vast world of car audio... *sigh*

qwerty778
12-19-2005, 08:25 PM
I have 80 wrms going to my components (boston sl60) and it is plenty enough power. My gain is about halfway and volume 30 on my alpine headunit is pretty loud. My Infinity Kappa 10" is only getting 200 wrms in a small sealed box and it keeps up with my fronts perfectly.

I heard somewhere that doubling your wattage will only give you roughly a 3-5 db gain. Therefore spending the extra cash to get an amp that will play your speakers a little bit louder is unecessary if the lower powered amp is already enough power.

Unless you are trying to go deaf, 50 wrms (that is accurately rated) should suffice for most sets of components.