PDA

View Full Version : Is there really any technique to building a sealed box?

Vadude
12-05-2005, 09:06 AM
Aside from making sure the box is 3/4 mdf, the inside is sealed, and the box is the appropriate size the manufacturer reccomendeds for the woofer going inside of it, Is there really any technique to building a sealed box?

In terms of good sq and maybe spl.

skadude016
12-05-2005, 09:08 AM
More rectangle. Dont go perfect sqaure

Vadude
12-05-2005, 09:21 AM
More rectangle. Dont go perfect sqaure

Other than that of course, should have added that to my original post.

It seems like the requirements for building a good sealed box is pretty simple. Meaning any novice can make a box that performs the same as an expert box makerif they follow what Ive stated and you added.

is it really that simple?

surely there is something else that factors into a good sealed box, based on a technique.

vosschs
12-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Other than that of course, should have added that to my original post.

It seems like the requirements for building a good sealed box is pretty simple. Meaning any novice can make a box that performs the same as an expert box makerif they follow what Ive stated and you added.

is it really that simple?

surely there is something else that factors into a good sealed box, based on a technique.
if flakko can do it any one can

slim j
12-05-2005, 09:28 AM
There is a size to power relationship. Something like a larger box can "make" the sub accept more power or something along those lines...free bump for someone to chime in on what I am trying to say.

Vadude
12-05-2005, 09:30 AM
There is a size to power relationship. Something like a larger box can "make" the sub accept more power or something along those lines...free bump for someone to chime in on what I am trying to say.

I think I understand, but wouldnt that mean making the box larger than what the manufacturer recomends?

djman37
12-05-2005, 09:39 AM
I think I understand, but wouldnt that mean making the box larger than what the manufacturer recomends?

opposite.

bikejunkie223
12-05-2005, 09:41 AM
stuff the thing with polly-fill (batting you put in pillows) and if you can make the inside shape less square, you will get better sq (part of the reason fiberglass boxes sound better- the irregular shape helps cancel interior box reflections) But that's probably a pain in the *** to do.

Vadude
12-05-2005, 09:48 AM
Ive heard, that a circular enclosure would be perfect for a sealed sq oriented box. Is that true and has it ever been tried (fiber glassing)???

skeptikal
12-05-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm sure it has been tried. Dude really i dont think there will be too much of an audible difference between a properly built rectanglur box and a fiberglassed box. If you seal the box completely so no air will leak out you will have constructed a perfectly sealed box.

azbass
12-05-2005, 10:17 AM
build the box keeping in mind of How your gona cover it.

squeak9798
12-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Shape doesn't matter. Bass waves are far too long for standing waves inside of the enclosure to be a problem. Even a 1/4 wave won't fit inside most enclosures, unless you are running your sub up above 200hz.

And the smaller the box, the less efficient the system (increased mechanical power handling). Larger box = increased efficiency (decreased mechanical power handling).

And then, ofcourse, you have the whole issue of Qtc. Incase you haven't considered that yet.

squeak9798
12-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Ive heard, that a circular enclosure would be perfect for a sealed sq oriented box. Is that true and has it ever been tried (fiber glassing)???

See above statement regarding standing waves.

CntInjaDisNinja
12-05-2005, 11:06 AM
I moved my two Diamond D3's from sealed rectangle to sealed fiberglass and I did notice a slight increase in SQ by running a couple of bass sweeps and they responed to larger band of frequences better/

squeak9798
12-05-2005, 11:09 AM
I moved my two Diamond D3's from sealed rectangle to sealed fiberglass

Of the exact same volume?

406er
12-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Of the exact same volume?

EXACTLU
the only way to acuratly compair the too, is if thery where in the EXACT same size box. and in the same firning position. also if the regualar box has a slight air leak that too would degrade the perofrmace.

flakko
12-05-2005, 10:55 PM
if flakko can do it any one can

har har.

kuijo
12-05-2005, 11:00 PM
X2 on QTC

bdawson72
12-05-2005, 11:37 PM
all this box buildin stuff is confusing........at least i know how to build a simple sealed box.........wait until u tackle a ported box tuned to some crazy #<------------not 4 me

squeak9798
12-06-2005, 11:39 AM
EXACTLU
the only way to acuratly compair the too, is if thery where in the EXACT same size box. and in the same firning position. also if the regualar box has a slight air leak that too would degrade the perofrmace.

Yeah....forgot to mention that the position in the vehicle, position it was aimed to, and all other settings would have to be exactly the same aswell.

Raven
12-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Bracing can have a big effect on a sealed box.