PDA

View Full Version : tcab box or sledgehammer?

97cav
12-03-2005, 01:30 AM
Im gonna be running 2 12in. mtx 9500's. I was just wondering if you guys think I should go with a tcab or stay with the sledgehammer box? Thanks

JimJ
12-03-2005, 01:31 AM
Build your own to suit your musical tastes...

PhatTonyDeMarco
12-03-2005, 01:34 AM
TCAB can make a hell of a box, but for the amount of money they charge you could build yourself an enclosure and get some extra equipment...

So, I choose choice three, make your own.

skmfkr
12-03-2005, 01:36 AM
or if your like me and hate makin boxes, pm moe lester or inhumanacura or powernaudio

req
12-03-2005, 01:44 AM
i hate that guy.

build your own da*n box.

iceteebone
12-03-2005, 01:48 AM
only tcab has the "formula"

97cav
12-03-2005, 01:53 AM
or if your like me and hate makin boxes, pm moe lester or inhumanacura or powernaudio

These guys can build one that is comparable to the tcabs?

iceteebone
12-03-2005, 02:07 AM

These guys can build one that is comparable to the tcabs?

i know first hand inhumanacura makes good boxes and would put his box up against any other one. of course you are gonna get the 3 tcab stooges who are gonna say tcab> any box made by any person.

SBLAZER
12-03-2005, 02:27 AM
lol shutup ice. i mean if u dont feel like makin your own box and want a good quality box, thats loud and have the magic wang, get a TCAB

skmfkr
12-03-2005, 02:30 AM
or if you dont wanna have a box that costs more than your sub, go with the other three guys i named

flakko
12-03-2005, 02:34 AM
of course you are gonna get the 3 tcab stooges who are gonna say tcab> any box made by any person.

lol shutup ice. i mean if u dont feel like makin your own box and want a good quality box, thats loud and have the magic wang, get a TCAB
^^^
Moe:D

iceteebone
12-03-2005, 02:37 AM
^^^
Moe:D

i think he is curly because he doesn't come off as being the smartest one in the group or the leader. ;)

SAG3
12-03-2005, 02:40 AM
Im gonna be running 2 12in. mtx 9500's. I was just wondering if you guys think I should go with a tcab or stay with the sledgehammer box? Thanks

you didnt know that the name changed? it's now tcabR and it stands for "the car audio box ripoff"

req
12-03-2005, 02:55 AM

thats if you want to spend an assload of money for a ported box :laugh:

SBLAZER
12-03-2005, 02:55 AM
???? how original, 2pts for sag:(

tommyk90
12-03-2005, 03:01 AM
thats if you want to spend an assload of money for a ported box :laugh:

Laugh all you want, mark has more box requests than what he knows to do with. The man is building boxes left and right. ;)

JimJ
12-03-2005, 03:03 AM
Laugh all you want, mark has more box requests than what he knows to do with. The man is building boxes left and right. ;)

Bose makes a lot of money as well :)

req
12-03-2005, 03:10 AM
pw-OWNED!

tommyk90
12-03-2005, 03:11 AM
Bose makes a lot of money as well :)

While very true, we know that mark's boxes perform. ;)

97cav
12-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Well I want a really loud box. I want to do spl comps. and I dont know how to make a box, so should I go with inhuman or tcab? Are boxes pretty much the same? I just want it to be loud as it can

DBfan187
12-03-2005, 10:40 AM
you didnt know that the name changed? it's now tcabR and it stands for "the car audio box ripoff":laugh:

even I got a laugh out of that!:laugh:

Raisedin305
12-03-2005, 10:52 AM
I just want it to be loud as it canWon't be able to do that unless you decide to make it strictly for SPL competitions and tune your box really high around 45hz. Not to mention it will sound like ****. I say buy some plans from some one like Moe Lester (makes very good boxes, I know from experience) tell him you want a ported box tuned around 30hz (to keep the SQ),go to Home Depot buy one or two logs of 3/4 MDF (depending how big your box will be) ask to see if they will cut the wood for you if they will great let them do it. If not find some one that knows how to cut good. And then just make your own box. You will also feel better knowing in the end that your system is loud because of a box YOU made.

iceteebone
12-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Well I want a really loud box. I want to do spl comps. and I dont know how to make a box, so should I go with inhuman or tcab? Are boxes pretty much the same? I just want it to be loud as it can

only tcab can make the best spl box without actually having your vehicle because they have the "formula" and spkrman knows everything about every vehicle and has tested the type r against every sub and it has been the hands down winner every time. i noticed you don't have type r's. does tcab make boxes that don't involve a type r? then again they are car audio gods and are probably experts with your woofer.

swimfreak26
12-03-2005, 11:52 AM
With 2 9500's, if you've powering them correctly I don't think you're going to have to worry about them being loud at all.

I've heard countless good things about moe and inhuman's boxes so I wouldn't hesitate to go with them and save a few hundred dollars. Another option is to have one of those two, or jmac, design a box for you (like $10) and then build it yourself.

Your choice, but I say no to a box that costs as much as a high end driver.

tommyk90
12-03-2005, 03:11 PM
only tcab can make the best spl box without actually having your vehicle because they have the "formula" and spkrman knows everything about every vehicle and has tested the type r against every sub and it has been the hands down winner every time. i noticed you don't have type r's. does tcab make boxes that don't involve a type r? then again they are car audio gods and are probably experts with your woofer.

You are a real *******.

His "formula" is not some mathematical equation, its a box design/layout. You douche.

If you haven't noticed, he only posts in threads that are talking about stuff he has tested before/cars he's built for before.

God d*mn, i'm sick of all the bullshit around here. If you don't think his boxes are worth the money, build something yourself and put it up head-to-head against his.

And don't come back at me with some bullshit response like "i don't care about SPL" or "its still not worth the money". Just face it, people buy his boxes because they do what they claim. Would i spend the money on one of his boxes? No. You wanna know why? Because i have the time and knowledge to test out boxes for myself. Some people don't have that luxury/skill to test out multiple boxes/drivers to find out what works best. R&D costs money, that money doesn't appear out of thin air. Mark is not just some person who posts online and makes boxes on the side, this is his JOB. He does this for a living, so i don't want to hear any more about why his boxes cost so much. They do what they are supposed to (sometimes more) and costs less than any custom box from a shop around here.

So until you can get your head out of your *** and realize not everyone is as cool as you, STFU.

Silver
12-03-2005, 03:15 PM
Cost me 28$ to build to the same box specs as a sledgehammer.

MTX gives you the dimensions. Go on their site.

Its highly tuned though.

Abel
12-03-2005, 03:22 PM

I dont have a Type R and Mark built me a great box for my MT! so yes he builds boxes for all woofers not just Type R's

singlesubsetup
12-03-2005, 03:41 PM
These comments are reminicent (sp) of the whole power4sound enclosures. Since I'm realizing that the organization has a ALOT to do with the numbers being put up, (db drag > mecca or vise versa if your mecca) Who is using these tcab in other organizations outside of mecca?

Can anyone answer that? Also I've done a search at termpro and have not found anyone running type R's.. Can someone link me to anyone using them? (they seem like solid woofers so I'm just curious)

tommyk90
12-03-2005, 04:56 PM
These comments are reminicent (sp) of the whole power4sound enclosures. Since I'm realizing that the organization has a ALOT to do with the numbers being put up, (db drag > mecca or vise versa if your mecca) Who is using these tcab in other organizations outside of mecca?

Can anyone answer that? Also I've done a search at termpro and have not found anyone running type R's.. Can someone link me to anyone using them? (they seem like solid woofers so I'm just curious)

Me, mark, and josh (custel) were the only people running type-rs at MECA finals. Nobody runs them in dB drag because they are NOT fart woofers. :)

On a side note, we three all placed in at least the top three in all the classes we competed in (as3, s1, sr1, m1, mr1, db1).

bimma85
12-03-2005, 05:02 PM
first its type r>all subs
now its tcab> all boxes

**** when I got on here I heard there was no BEST. But according to a few people I guess that was just flat out wrong :crazy:

flakko
12-03-2005, 05:05 PM
now its tcab> all boxes
next orion> all amps

**** when I got on here I heard there was no BEST. But according to a few people I guess that was just flat out wrong :crazy:

there thats fixed

bimma85
12-03-2005, 05:07 PM
there thats fixed
DOH, my bad... thx for fixing that :laugh:

Seriously though, I believe peeps can charge what they please. But I have seen that guy going around he can build the best enclosure for every sub/vehicle there is. I find that DAM hard to believe.

swimfreak26
12-03-2005, 05:08 PM
**** when I got on here I heard there was no BEST. But according to a few people I guess that was just flat out wrong
You are deffinately wrong, didn't you know that. The type R is the best sounding, loudest driver on the planet.

Then, the challenge becomes to get another sub to be CLOSE to as spectacular...for that you have the tcab box, guaranteed to hit 150dB in any application.

j/k, but serisously, the hype has gotten a bit out of hand.

Meka
12-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Pfft, he should only make $5/hour, obviously, because someone else could do it for free ... :rolleyes:

People are retarded ...

If you don't like the price, don't pay it and STFU ...

That is probably the best post i have ever read dealing with tcab....

Abel
12-03-2005, 05:12 PM
now its tcab> all boxes

There still is no BEST! nobody is saying that Type R's or TCAB boxes are the best, they are simply giving there opinion. And everyone is entitled to there opinion.Why do people need to B*tch so **** much? why dont people just back off and admit the TypeR is a good sub, and that the boxes Mark build are good. Lets face it Mark,Tommy, and Custel pulled some good numbers, that many people on this forum cant beat.

bimma85
12-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Then, the challenge becomes to get another sub to be CLOSE to as spectacular...for that you have the tcab box, guaranteed to hit 150deebeez in any application.

I think this is why all these threads draw so much attention/hate. Honestly making statements that pretty much say, "I'm better than e1 else", will tend to make me go away from the product instead of maybe trying it.

Also I could have swore I saw a tcab owner doing less than a 142(dont know why you would need a tl when you're not even gonna build your own boxes though), not a poor number at all.... but no where near 150 :uhoh:

bimma85
12-03-2005, 05:16 PM
There still is no BEST! nobody is saying that Type R's or TCAB boxes are the best, they are simply giving there opinion. And everyone is entitled to there opinion.Why do people need to B*tch so **** much? why dont people just back off and admit the TypeR is a good sub, and that the boxes Mark build are good. Lets face it Mark,Tommy, and Custel pulled some good numbers, that many people on this forum cant beat.
E1 has said that the TCAB and type r are great performers no doubt. WE ARE SICK OF HEARING THAT THEY ARE THE FOKIN BEST. Like you said there is no best, but a certain few make it sound like they are.
I hate the snow its cold as fok out side(yea I know I'm a sissy, haha).......I'm not going anywhere tonight and have nothing to do. Do I need to go searching for posts to back what I just said up ;). Actually I'm sure others have seen the same thing ;).

twoohfour
12-03-2005, 05:19 PM
for a good long time people have been saying how much they're sick of all the TCAB/Type R bull **** .... but i'm not one to get annoyed.

well, finally i'm annoyed.

all of you are idiots.

the ones repeating "just admit it the Type R is good and the TCAB boxes are good too and he can charge what he wants STFU" are all retarded, because you're literally repeating hundreds of other people, with less and less well-worded exclamations of your "findings".

and for that matter, the ones eternally mocking Potts and his boxes and Type Rs and their hype are idiots too. leave it alone and let the threads die. your sarcasm is old news.

this is the first post i've bothered with in this and it will be the last..

but seriously, can't this all just be let to die out?

swimfreak26
12-03-2005, 06:19 PM
I think this is why all these threads draw so much attention/hate. Honestly making statements that pretty much say, "I'm better than e1 else", will tend to make me go away from the product instead of maybe trying it.

Also I could have swore I saw a tcab owner doing less than a 142(dont know why you would need a tl when you're not even gonna build your own boxes though), not a poor number at all.... but no where near 150

It is quite apparent to me that you neither:

a) sensed any of the sarcasm in my statement
nor
b) looked to see my sig

bimma85
12-03-2005, 06:22 PM
It is quite apparent to me that you neither:

a) sensed any of the sarcasm in my statement
nor
b) looked to see my sig
eh, caught the sarcasm and saw the sig ;)
Just kinda added to it :)

skeptikal
12-03-2005, 06:29 PM
TCAB is no different from any other business. He can do what he wants, charge what he wants, and even make peoples boxes do like low 120's if he wants.

It's like the hate everyone used to direct at Audiobahn now has their aim set at Mark/TCAB.

As Jmac said, "you dont wanna pay for it, don't and stfu."

I'm not pro-TCAB or pro-R or anything but everyone b*tchin about how much his boxes cost are stupid. It's like going to any retail store and b*tching about the price of something, all it does is make you look like a jackass and still doesnt change anything...

bimma85
12-03-2005, 06:35 PM
TCAB is no different from any other business. He can do what he wants, charge what he wants, and even make peoples boxes do like low 120's if he wants.

It's like the hate everyone used to direct at Audiobahn now has their aim set at Mark/TCAB.

I'm not pro-TCAB or pro-R or anything but everyone b*tchin about how much his boxes cost are stupid. It's like going to any retail store and b*tching about the price of something, all it does is make you look like a jackass and still doesnt change anything...
I can't speak for e1, but like I have said a millions times he can charge whatever the hell he wants.
You dont see jl on here advertising their crazy priced stuff, if they did I be *****ing too. But they dont so I could care less what they do ;)

swimfreak26
12-03-2005, 07:07 PM

Tcab, essentially, is like any other business, and I can respect that. I don't care what they charge for boxes, local shops charge the same price, meh?

The problem that I have, and I think the basis for a lot of people complaining on here, is that they do not conduct theirselves on the forum in a manner is acceptable business practice. Many times I've heard about how their boxes are guaranteed to be better than anything else. Now, that may be true, but on a free forum where people go to gather information, it is not ethical business to shove your product down everyones' throats.

Point and case:
Nick from SI is on here, never do you hear near as much hype of the mags, though they are awesome drivers.

Dave from RE (though infrequently) is on here, always willing to help with questions about RE, but not throwing products at us in every thread.

Tracy works with Kicker and can help you with a box for a kicker sub, but will not reccomend his company's products in every thread for every application.

I respect the talent of mark, and the quality of the tcab boxes, but the way his business is portrayed on the forum, through his actions, I do not respect.

bimma85
12-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Tcab, essentially, is like any other business, and I can respect that. I don't care what they charge for boxes, local shops charge the same price, meh?

The problem that I have, and I think the basis for a lot of people complaining on here, is that they do not conduct theirselves on the forum in a manner is acceptable business practice. Many times I've heard about how their boxes are guaranteed to be better than anything else. Now, that may be true, but on a free forum where people go to gather information, it is not ethical business to shove your product down everyones' throats.

Point and case:
Nick from SI is on here, never do you hear near as much hype of the mags, though they are awesome drivers.

Dave from RE (though infrequently) is on here, always willing to help with questions about RE, but not throwing products at us in every thread.

Tracy works with Kicker and can help you with a box for a kicker sub, but will not reccomend his company's products in every thread for every application.

I respect the talent of mark, and the quality of the tcab boxes, but the way his business is portrayed on the forum, through his actions, I do not respect.

Amen, another you could throw on the list would be how ant is actually willing to answers people questions about products from ED, dynamat, raammat, etc. I've never seen him put down anything of his competition, not once. Never bought any of his stuff, but for that one reason above.... he's got my respect.

97cav
12-03-2005, 10:43 PM
ok thanks. I didnt want to start anything, I was just wanting the best sounding subwoofer box. Thanks

Spkrman
12-04-2005, 02:15 AM
Pfft, he should only make $5/hour, obviously, because someone else could do it for free ... :rolleyes:

People are retarded ...

If you don't like the price, don't pay it and STFU ...

:cool:

The boxes perform... they are priced properly for the materials and labor used. I don't want to hear anything about the wood I use, I've found it to work for my purposes (as shown by actual PERFORMANCE), and jeez, its only 7 bux a sheet cheaper than MDF... That saves a wopping 3.50 per box, on average. :crazy: .

I never have directly advertised any boxes... only put up vids and test results. Outside of that, I've only poked my head into threads where I have actual test results and experience.

Moe has a thread in the FS section detailing his services, but thats apparantly overlooked? :eyebrow:

I definitely don't appreciate all the hate for no good reason :cool:

Randy Savage
12-04-2005, 02:33 AM
Point was made here...end of discussion.

Don't want another TCAB vs. this/that/your mother thread.

Closed.