PDA

View Full Version : I need an opinion about amp wiring

filtor1
12-02-2005, 05:18 PM
I have the Dyaton HPSA 1000watt plate amp from PE. I have been thinking about building a new enclosure for a different sub just to play with. Since it is a mono amp, specs say it is stable at either 8 or 4ohms, is it likely it would be stable at 2ohms. Has anyone done this? I just want to know if I need to purchace a single VC 4ohm sub or sqeeze a little more power out by coupling a dual 4ohm sub for a 2ohm load. I don't want to cook the amp. Any input? Thanks.

thylantyr
12-02-2005, 06:45 PM
The politically correct answer is not to connect a lower impedance than the
amplifier is rated for.

This doesn't stop people from exploring how well an ampliifer is 'over engineered',
if any to allow more abuse. For example, if I built a 2 ohm stable amplifier and
advertise it as 4 ohm stable only as a safety precaution, most people would not
run it below 4 ohms even though I know it can. But, if I did this, it wouldn't be
the best marketing strategy.

On another note, if an amplifer had no protection circuits you can operate
it below rated impedance but at reduced output power to keep the amplifier
within it's designed 'safe operating area'. If you exceed this you can damage the
amplifier because it's a 'dumb' amplifier, no protection.

I'm willing to bet that this brand of product is not over-engineer much so
I doubt it would be realiable to operate it at 2 ohm if only rated for 4 ohms.
You can try it but don't crank the amplifier up to full power, operate it at reduced
level if you are brave.

.. or get dual 4 ohm voice coils and connect two plate amplifiers up, one amplifier per coil
and match signal input levels/settings.

filtor1
12-03-2005, 02:43 PM
I appreciate the insight. I think I will just look for a nice single 4ohm VC sub to play with. Man if I could afford another plate right now the dual 4ohm option sounds like fun as well. I will def play it safe with this one. Thanks again.