PDA

View Full Version : starting home stereo system! need help!

nissanrider06
12-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Ok well i had to 10's i was hoping to use.i know i need a receiver and and some speakers, i am gonna use this mostly to listen to cd's and was hoping to me able to hook it up to my computer and maybe xbox ro tv and was wondering wat i need to look for in a receiver, if someone could recommend some good speakers ( non subs) do i need midbass and tweeters or just full range? also the subs are dual 4 ohm and 400 watts rms. any help is appreciated

JimJ
12-02-2005, 01:21 AM
What kind of a budget are we talking about here for speakers/receiver?

5.1 surround or just 2 channel?

bikejunkie223
12-02-2005, 01:30 AM
Make sure the reciever you buy has component video switching and at least 4 digital audio inputs (either optical or digital coax) That way it won't be obsolete as technology advances, and you won't have to change your TV's source, the reciever will do it. Wattage in a home stereo app, is totally different than in a car, unless you are running some extremely power hungry speakers (like Dynaudios) you don't need more than around 75w per channel, except for the sub, and subs are nearly always self-powered. Virtually all recievers have a Dolby chip in them, which means they all do the same Dolby decoding, so that is a wash for the most part. Stick with major brands, and you will be happy, just make sure it does at least 2 component video in hookups, and a component video out monitor- these are the plugs that are 5 cable rca's- 3 for video and 2 for audio- required for High-Def TV.

nissanrider06
12-02-2005, 02:04 AM
idk um 2 channel might work i dont know really what i need, i want at least one sub, cuz im guessing im not gonna be able to use my 2 RF rfp-1210 10's that need 400 watts each??? or will i? how many speakers will i need you think and wat kind (6.5 midbass, 4 inch full-range) im a newb when it comes to home stereos. i want more bass probably than just a selfpowered computer sub, but i guess that would be the easiest and the cheapest??? thanks for any help

nissanrider06
12-02-2005, 02:10 AM
maybe i should just buy a pre made, 5.1 system off ebay... are those any good? can anyone send me some links to some around the 150-200 area, are the sub channels the same as the speaker channels? so i could replace one of the speakers with another sub? or would one sub be sufficient??? im mainly using this for music, but occasional dvd's

Beat_Dominator
12-02-2005, 02:12 AM
If you want an easy solution, I'd look no further than a good PC speaker system. You're definitely going to get the most for your $ that way. If you want to treat it like a hobby, you need to slow down and analyze what you need.

1)Receiver/Controller
2)Source (CD player, PC, etc.)
3)Speakers (1,2,or 5 if you want mono,stereo, or multi channel)
4)Wires :)

nissanrider06
12-02-2005, 02:18 AM
but wont i want a home theatre system not computer system? i want to be able to hook it up to my computer, tv and xbox if possible.

EDIT:: http://cgi.ebay.com/399-Philips-HTS3400-700-WATT-Pro-Scan-Home-Theater-SYS_W0QQitemZ5836330862QQcategoryZ1499QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem would this work? and then i would just get a sound card for my comp or something???

Beat_Dominator
12-02-2005, 02:32 AM
Yeah something like that might work, I sell that one at work at it doesn't sound too bad.

They are commonly called "HTIB" or Home Theater in a Box. Look for one that Kenwood makes, they have somegood ones for the $

bikejunkie223
12-02-2005, 02:38 AM
The Yamaha ones are decent too. The key is to listen to them, but that's hard to do in a noisy best buy and be objective.

JimJ
12-02-2005, 02:42 AM
Make sure the reciever you buy has component video switching and at least 4 digital audio inputs (either optical or digital coax) That way it won't be obsolete as technology advances, and you won't have to change your TV's source, the reciever will do it. Wattage in a home stereo app, is totally different than in a car, unless you are running some extremely power hungry speakers (like Dynaudios) you don't need more than around 75w per channel, except for the sub, and subs are nearly always self-powered. Virtually all recievers have a Dolby chip in them, which means they all do the same Dolby decoding, so that is a wash for the most part. Stick with major brands, and you will be happy, just make sure it does at least 2 component video in hookups, and a component video out monitor- these are the plugs that are 5 cable rca's- 3 for video and 2 for audio- required for High-Def TV.

For a system that's mostly going to be used for music, that's overkill :)

To get the most for your money, I'd stick with vintage gear and a pair of full range speakers such as CSS FR125 4.5's. Solid-state receivers in the 1975-1980 range offer a hell of a value and are hard to kill...if you're just listening to CD's, an integrated amplifier would save a little money vs. something that has a built in broadcast tuner.

JimJ
12-02-2005, 02:51 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/NAD-C340-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ5834970972QQcategoryZ3280QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

NAD for the win.

Beat_Dominator
12-02-2005, 02:53 AM
Go-NAD's stink :p:

Look for a Naim Nait 5i :)

JimJ
12-02-2005, 02:54 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/NAIM-NAIT-5i-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER-BOXED-7-MONTHS-OLD_W0QQitemZ5834352601QQcategoryZ3280QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Something tells me it's out of his budget :)

Beat_Dominator
12-02-2005, 02:56 AM
Well if you want to run with the big dogs....

JimJ
12-02-2005, 02:59 AM
Well if you want to run with the big dogs....

Don't go solid state?

:uhoh: :laugh:

Beat_Dominator
12-02-2005, 03:01 AM
To bad the ASR emitter II is getting rave reviews and it's SS... :p:

JimJ
12-02-2005, 03:06 AM
Too bad it costs more than a mid-size sedan and looks like it was beaten by an ugly stick :)

Now that we've gotten thoroughly off topic...

Beat_Dominator
12-02-2005, 03:07 AM
Hehe, I made you look that one up :)

Lil Poot
12-02-2005, 10:42 AM
how much could one expect to spend on a nice tube amp home system?

bikejunkie223
12-02-2005, 10:43 AM
I suggested a reciever with component video options because just about all recievers in the $300 range have it now, and it will still be useable 5 years from now when he has an apartment or house and wants a real home theatre. I'm shopping for a reciever now because my current one doesn't do component video switching. As for a sub- look into Velodyne, they make descent home subs that aren't ungodly expensive like some....As for the vintage stuff, not everyone gives a rats *** about tube amps Jack. I somehow doubt this guy would know the difference, because I'm not sure I would hear the difference. He did say he wanted to watch movies and such, that's why I recomended what I did.

JimJ
12-02-2005, 02:53 PM
I suggested a reciever with component video options because just about all recievers in the $300 range have it now, and it will still be useable 5 years from now when he has an apartment or house and wants a real home theatre. I'm shopping for a reciever now because my current one doesn't do component video switching. As for a sub- look into Velodyne, they make descent home subs that aren't ungodly expensive like some....As for the vintage stuff, not everyone gives a rats *** about tube amps Jack. I somehow doubt this guy would know the difference, because I'm not sure I would hear the difference. He did say he wanted to watch movies and such, that's why I recomended what I did.

I didn't recommend any here, as I don't think the situation called for it :)

There's a big price differential between a setup geared for music and a 5.1 system...a system that's "mainly used for music, but occansional DVD's" (his words) doesn't really need to be a full surround setup, IMO. Unless he can't watch a movie without it.

how much could one expect to spend on a nice tube amp home system?

Anywhere from $700 to however-expensive-you-want-to-go :D

bikejunkie223
12-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Right but the price difference between a dolby 5.1 surround reciever and a basic stereo reciever is basically non-existant. A basic reciever can be had for $200 or so, and would likely handle everything he needs, and may or may not include component video switching. It's easy for a reciever capable of 5.1 to play stereo, but much harder to go the other way. That's the point I am trying to make.

nissanrider06
12-02-2005, 04:50 PM
well ok im thinking of just getting a HTIB off ebay, but they all come with dvd players!!! can i hook these up to my tv stereo computer and xbox????

bikejunkie223
12-02-2005, 08:07 PM
as long as they offer an input you can use it, and they should- most HTIB setups will let you plug in your tv etc. Go to the manufacturers website and see what inputs the one you are thinking about bidding on has.

nissanrider06
12-03-2005, 01:45 AM
well speaker wise i found these: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-804&scqty=2 and http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-015&scqty=2 then just find a nice sub?? how r these gonna be there both 8 ohm and i would have 2 of each and put a tweeter and a mid in a box and have 2 boxes plus one for the sub!!!

JimJ
12-03-2005, 01:47 AM
I wouldn't choose those drivers...

If you want to go DIY for the speakers, Tang Band full range drivers would fit in your budget and be simpler, with no crossover to have to worry about.

nissanrider06
12-03-2005, 01:48 AM
i would just need one speaker not a mid and a tweeter? send a link plz if u could find one

JimJ
12-03-2005, 01:54 AM
Something like this would fit your needs perfectly: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-813

Throw them in some vented enclosures built to spec, maybe build a little notch filter for them out of some inductors and caps, and bingo - instant DIY speakers for very little cost.

nissanrider06
12-04-2005, 04:17 AM
thread updated, expanded and reorganized, skip to #2 thanks thanks thanks thanks http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129345