PDA

View Full Version : box construction help, p p p please

Tayta_Mayne
11-30-2005, 11:59 PM
I am building a new box and i just wanted to know what the best materials are to actually construct it. ive got the mdf all cut and ready if someone can help me out please, and sorry if there is a thread about his im gonna admit it im to lazy to look plus im in a big hurry lowes is closing and i wanna do this before it snows

MrSector9
12-01-2005, 12:03 AM
screws and liquid nails? some guys use drywall screws.. I use normal wood screws approx every 3-4" using a healthy dose of liquid nails also.

NhustlaR
12-01-2005, 12:04 AM
or wood glue,

Tayta_Mayne
12-01-2005, 12:51 AM
i should prolly caulk the inside edges too rite?

Moe Lester
12-01-2005, 12:51 AM
use wood glue, dont use liquid nails

if your cuts are good enough you dont really need caulk. if you have gaps, seal it up.

bonesninja
12-01-2005, 12:55 AM
also 3-4" screws seems a bit excessive...if your using 3/4" mdf then 1 1/2" - 2" scres is fine.

Tayta_Mayne
12-01-2005, 01:06 AM
ok so no longer than 2 inch screws, wood glue, how about gorrilla glue Moe you know its the strongest glue on the planet lol, how often should i place a screw about every 3 to 4 inches like sector said rite? i just have never built anything that had to hold up to large vibrations, my father is a senior carpentor so im sure i could call him up and get some help i just thought id ask what type of materials to get before i do that though

QuikSilverRS91
12-01-2005, 02:13 AM
He wasn't USING 3-4" screws, he was placing one screw every 3-4 inches.

Tayta_Mayne
12-01-2005, 05:38 PM
thats what i though thats why i asked if you should place the screws every 3-4 inches, any specific type of caulking?

bonesninja
12-01-2005, 05:40 PM
He wasn't USING 3-4" screws, he was placing one screw every 3-4 inches.
lmao.....dayum i didn't even read that right.

InhumanAcura
12-01-2005, 06:18 PM
dont waste your $ on gorilla glue, just use some tite-bond...

Moe Lester
12-01-2005, 06:38 PM
gorilla glue = no good for this.

bimma85
12-01-2005, 06:44 PM
dont waste your $ on gorilla glue, just use some tite-bond...
x2. Gl man. Been snowing for awhile in iowa, better hurry up ;)

Tayta_Mayne
12-02-2005, 01:10 AM
Yeah it should be done by saturday ill try to post some pics of it maybe a vid of it in action once i get it going. Anyone who has carpeted a box got any tips? Im kinda thinking about just painting and sealing it but id really like to carpet it so it matches my interior. Also you think it would be a good idea to just run speaker wire straight from the amp to the sub via a small hole in the box? Of course i would seal the hole, this box is going to be sealed very tight i am a perfectionist. i just dont really like terminals.

IamDeMan
12-02-2005, 08:18 AM
im gonna admit it im to lazy to lookThen you will probably be too lazy to make it right, so why should we bother helping?

Tayta_Mayne
12-03-2005, 02:08 AM
sorry if there is a thread about his im gonna admit it im to lazy to look plus im in a big hurry lowes is closing and i wanna do this before it snows
Actually i started this thread just to find out what materials i should get before lowes closed that why, thats THE ONLY reason why i didnt do research if you would have read through the whole thing you wouldve seen that, plus you gotta at least give me credit for admitting it was a lazy thing to do. but thank you to all of those who have actually helped. My lazy non energetic cant build a box because hes to lazy *** really appreciated all of your help.;) And i will post pics when its done which should be tomorrow as long as it's not still -17 degrees out

Tayta_Mayne
12-06-2005, 03:47 AM
ok the box is complete. i plan on taking pics as soon as my sis brings her digi cam over. it turned out pretty nice, really smooth. the carpet wasnt too easy but it looks great. thank you all for helping out