PDA

View Full Version : quick kick panel question

springy101
11-30-2005, 08:47 PM
i was thinking about fiberglassing my own set of kick panels and wanted to know if the speaker baffles had to be made out of wood, or if something like cardboard could also be used becuase i have no wood cutting tools and i got C in woodshop (i **** with wood).

hoss
11-30-2005, 08:49 PM
you can use anything that will hold the shape you need :)

try taking the cardboard and putting a layer of resin on it before you use it though to add some rigidity, because i can already see plain cardboard disforming when you go to stretch across it

NhustlaR
11-30-2005, 11:47 PM
you need to use wood. How will you screw your 6.5s or whatever into a BAFFLE if it is made out of a little piece of cardboard? it would be a lot easier if you had pops, or someone who can cut a little circle out of wood.

hoss
11-30-2005, 11:59 PM
[QUOTE=NhustlaR]you need to use wood. How will you screw your 6.5s or whatever into a BAFFLE if it is made out of a little piece of cardboard?QUOTE]
because regaurless, it will be covered with resin and probably fiberglass

while wood is the better choice, any material that can retain its shape will pressure is put across it should work

springy101
12-01-2005, 01:48 AM
w/e when i buy a box from moe lester he said he would include speaker rings for the mids and tweets so i can just use those

ramos
12-01-2005, 07:54 AM
[QUOTE=NhustlaR]you need to use wood. How will you screw your 6.5s or whatever into a BAFFLE if it is made out of a little piece of cardboard?QUOTE]
because regaurless, it will be covered with resin and probably fiberglass

while wood is the better choice, any material that can retain its shape will pressure is put across it should work

Like was said before though. You need some sort of sturdy baffle to attach the speakers themselves too. Wood just makes it alot easier. To mount them on glass, wou would need to strengthen the mounting area, drill holes, then use bolts instead of screws ( fiberglass doesn't hold screws to well). It would also be a PITA to get the baffle perfectly level without it starting out that way . :)

ramos
12-01-2005, 07:56 AM
w/e when i buy a box from moe lester he said he would include speaker rings for the mids and tweets so i can just use those

Yep, good choice. Then you will just need some dowels to suspend the rings over your backing plate ( relief cast of kick area ) :)

springy101
12-01-2005, 07:59 AM
ya on most of the fb kick panels ive seen made the speaker baffle is one piece of wood with a midbass cutout and a tweet cutout, but having a seperate mounting ring for each speaker is ok isnt it? and can they share the same space or not?

springy101
12-01-2005, 08:00 AM
and to whoever posted that kick panel fiberglassing guide dam i didnt know the first thing about doin em but now after readin it a few times i feel i could go out and do it right now

Pyro_By_Nature
12-01-2005, 09:37 AM
No, if they share the same airspace they're going to get into a fight and one will want out :P

Seriously, they'll be fine.I have yet to see a tweeter with a back wave......

ramos
12-01-2005, 11:23 AM
ya on most of the fb kick panels ive seen made the speaker baffle is one piece of wood with a midbass cutout and a tweet cutout, but having a seperate mounting ring for each speaker is ok isnt it? and can they share the same space or not?

Yep perfectly fine, actually I like the look of seperate rings over a single baffle. The contours are **** :naughty: :)