PDA

View Full Version : First box buit (w/pics)

Subz
11-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Well I finally finished it. Took a few hardships along the way but everything worked out.

Before:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/SwampWise/DSC03279.jpg

After:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/SwampWise/DSC03282.jpg

I took the suggestion and made it from 3/4" MDF. Dimensions are 14"T x 11"W x 4"D1 x 6"D2. First put it together with everything except for the back with wood glue, then screwed everything with 1.25" course thread drywall screws. Sealed all inside corners with White Lightening caulk (applied through the hole for the rear corners). Then just used some flat black spray paint.

Once I had everything down, the sub wasn't sealing with the provided gasket sections (you could push down on the woofer and hear a whistle of leaking air), so I put weatherstripping on it and that sealed it right up. Used a 2" hole saw for the terminal cap.

All in all it turned out better than I expected. Purchased everything except for the terminal cup from Home Depot for $20 (Plywood circular saw blade, jig saw wood blades, weatherstripping, 2x4' MDF, wood glue). I had a couple gaps but sealed them with caulk and they're hardly noticeable. The flash of the camera makes it look oddly two toned but you can't tell it in regular light.

saywhat?
11-30-2005, 08:29 PM
next time get a 40-60 tooth blade. the guys at HD told me the plywood blades will clog with MDF, what do u think?

Subz
11-30-2005, 08:52 PM
I didn't have a problem with it really. Cut it like it was nothing, just sent a lot of dust everywhere. Made really smooth cuts with no chipping or splintering.

Lol I got the cheapest one I could find ($4.95), and it worked. I'd say they're just trying to get a few more bucks from the deal.

req
11-30-2005, 08:55 PM
why did you cover the hole when you painted :confused:

otherwise, looks pretty good - id of put carpet on it though.

Subz
11-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Yeah, I did that so the gasket sections would have the bare wood to stick to, but after I did it, the unpainted was too big and it showed around the rim of the sub so I just went back over it completely. :laugh:

Thanks for the compliments. The reason I didn't carpet it was because since it's behind the seat no one will ever really see it, plus the truck is black so... it kinda worked out. I got to the point where I felt if I changed anything else I'd screw it up. :uhoh: