PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on home recievers anyone?

bikejunkie223
11-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Hey guys, I am looking at getting a new home theatre reciever and was looking for any opinions you guys might have, as I am not real educated on this stuff. I am considering the following:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fbHbuI9bQ97/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?wm=fp&I=033AV1906B&g=10420
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fbHbuI9bQ97/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10420&I=580TXS603B
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fbHbuI9bQ97/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=10420&I=158STD998B
I listed choices from Crutch, though my bro is an assistant manager at a compusa/goodguys, so I can also get Yamaha and a couple others. The Denon is the frontrunner for me right now, what do you guys think?
My speakers are a couple of mediocre Pioneer towers for the front, and an OLD pioneer 12" sub, and a Bose vcs-30 center/ surround setup.http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=vcs30_center_index
hope that helps.

thylantyr
11-29-2005, 02:39 PM
Denon would be my first choice of the ones you listed, but make sure it has the features you seek. You can probably get these alot cheaper at the famous auction site.

adio
11-30-2005, 01:01 AM
i would also look at onkyo too.

bikejunkie223
11-30-2005, 01:15 AM
Yeah. my brother is a manager at a store, so I can get them at cost, way below retail.

adio
11-30-2005, 02:59 AM
Yeah. my brother is a manager at a store, so I can get them at cost, way below retail.
i have a denon i'm selling on ebay, even though i recommened an onkyo!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5836646294&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Eugenics
11-30-2005, 03:19 AM
had many denons and had great luck with them... onkyo also makes a solid product

JimJ
11-30-2005, 04:01 AM
NAD > Denon > Onkyo

:D

bikejunkie223
11-30-2005, 10:31 AM
Thanks guys, I guess I gotta play some more, I have also heard Yamaha recievers are as nice as current Denon units. Any opinions?

chefboyrlee
11-30-2005, 07:23 PM
just got a marantz sr8400. i think it's discontinued. got it for a lil over 600 new. i like it so far. make sure whatever receiver you get has pre outs in case you want to expand.

Oak244
12-03-2005, 10:39 PM
I would Rate Denon, Marantz and Yamaha as being on par with each other. Really it comes down to your speakers, and the kind of sound you like. Each of the receivers listed here typically have a signature sound...

Yamaha... Bright
Deneon... Neutral
Marantz... Warm

So this is one way to pick. If you tend to like a warm system (ie. silk tweet fan) get the Marantz. Also if you find your speakers to be harsh at high listening levels try Marantz to soften the sound. If you find your system to be flat, try Yamaha to liven it up.. If your happy, go Denon, and you will notice little change.

Some may disagree with this, but I have what you would call a Golden Ear, which is a blessing or curse depending on how you look at it. Blessing in that I can hear true good sound when I do, Curse is, you have to be rich to achieve it lol

adio
12-04-2005, 12:13 AM
my denon is still for sale!!

Oak244
12-04-2005, 12:18 AM
I would love to trade my Yamaha 6.1 Receiver for a Marantz 6.1 lol

JimJ
12-04-2005, 12:40 AM
Bah...screw receivers, go components or go home :D

Oak244
12-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Yeah I hear ya! Just need to upgrade my speakers before I go with all seperate compnents. I would like to change to McCormack amps and Vandersteen or VMPS speakers.

JimJ
12-04-2005, 12:48 AM
Yeah I hear ya! Just need to upgrade my speakers before I go with all seperate compnents. I would like to change to McCormack amps and Vandersteen or VMPS speakers.

I haven't done a lot with 5.1 or greater surround simply because it gets expensive...fast. Building a good two channel components setup is enough, but when the speaker costs are quadrupled and you need three more monoblocks, it gets out of reach quickly :)

Oak244
12-04-2005, 01:01 AM
Yeah thats the problem. I run a 6.1 Theater system so it gets costly. Once I am happy with that, then I will build a Very high Quality 2 Channel system for music only. There I will probably go with Tubes. Right now I run Axiom speakers, which for the money are hard to beat. They had a poor break in period, but once broken it, they actually sound great. I did not like the sub though, so sold it and got the VMPS sub instead. At times I think since this mainly gets used for movies, I may just stay contempt with what I have, and start crafting a great 2 Channel system for music only. I already have a Usher CD-100 which I plan to get upgraded. Its already a great CD player stock. I also want to go Vinyl.

imaspaceguy90
12-04-2005, 01:02 AM
laffayete makes some nice old school ones

JimJ
12-04-2005, 01:22 AM
Yeah thats the problem. I run a 6.1 Theater system so it gets costly. Once I am happy with that, then I will build a Very high Quality 2 Channel system for music only. There I will probably go with Tubes. Right now I run Axiom speakers, which for the money are hard to beat. They had a poor break in period, but once broken it, they actually sound great. I did not like the sub though, so sold it and got the VMPS sub instead. At times I think since this mainly gets used for movies, I may just stay contempt with what I have, and start crafting a great 2 Channel system for music only. I already have a Usher CD-100 which I plan to get upgraded. Its already a great CD player stock. I also want to go Vinyl.

I've read reviews of Axiom's giving much higher-dollar speakers a good run for their money...especially with unforgiving amps like the Bottlehead Paramour 2A3 monoblocks, which aren't the easiest amps out there to find speakers for :D

I'm in the process of going vinyl, now that I have the rest of the system to really give it the respect a 'table deserves :)

Oak244
12-04-2005, 01:32 AM
I am a fan of the Classic/Jazz type music which I have been told sounds best on Vinyl.

JimJ
12-04-2005, 02:33 AM
I am a fan of the Classic/Jazz type music which I have been told sounds best on Vinyl.

Anything sounds best on vinyl, whether it's Pink Floyd, DJ Tiesto, or Handel :D

joetama
12-11-2005, 03:28 AM
Yamaha recievers are the most flexible with tuning, some recievers **** arse with that. I love my Yamaha RX-V1500 which i got really cheap. Pioneer Elite is good and so is Rotel but they are a bit more money. But, Yamaha is the best for the Cash-o-la.

bikejunkie223
12-11-2005, 04:38 AM
Here is an update, I can get a Denon 1905 for $250 (open box item). The only difference as I can tell is the newer 1906 has a mic and auto setup. The big news is that I got some new front main speakers. I found some Paradigm Studio 40v2's used but in perfect condition at a local shop in Portland for $600. I went back and forth between the Paradigms and some B&W Matrix 805's- I think the 805's had a warmer sound, but I preferred the upper end space and clarity of the Paradigms- they sound great even off my current crap reciever. They also have a pretty good selection of old-school tube amps and such, though I just can't see myself spending that kind of $$ when I can get a 7.1 reciever for 250 and use the extra 2 channels (run it 6.1) to bi-amp my front mains. Opinions?

Scoobydoo
12-12-2005, 06:53 AM
I have a Denon/Paradigm setup and i really like it

I30 Boogie
12-19-2005, 11:44 AM
I have a Harmon Kardon AVR235....i love it...but i'm a noob when it comes to HT and I bought it simply b/c i liked the look and b/c of the HK name (plus I got what i thinkk was a great price).

bikejunkie223
12-19-2005, 01:14 PM
I am shocked at the prices of HT stuff. I am fortunate that my Bro is a manager at a compusa/goodguys and I can get gear at cost, so I'm looking real hard at the Denon line and the Yamaha stuff. They have an open box THX Pioneer Elite too, but even at cost it's way outta my leauge.

qwerty778
12-19-2005, 09:32 PM
Here is an update, I can get a Denon 1905 for $250 (open box item). The only difference as I can tell is the newer 1906 has a mic and auto setup. The big news is that I got some new front main speakers. I found some Paradigm Studio 40v2's used but in perfect condition at a local shop in Portland for $600. I went back and forth between the Paradigms and some B&W Matrix 805's- I think the 805's had a warmer sound, but I preferred the upper end space and clarity of the Paradigms- they sound great even off my current crap reciever. They also have a pretty good selection of old-school tube amps and such, though I just can't see myself spending that kind of $$ when I can get a 7.1 reciever for 250 and use the extra 2 channels (run it 6.1) to bi-amp my front mains. Opinions?

Those Paradigm are pretty impressive speakers. Of all of the sub $2,000 speakers I have listened to, I would rate those along with the Studio 20's pretty high up on the list. Awesome find. That Denon should be fine for you. Anything nicer than that and you would probably be better off getting a seperate amp and a processor. Good luck with the HT. I'm jealous.

smullen
12-20-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm looking to upgrade my Sony STR-D1015 to a Yamaha RX-V2600 or 4600 sometime after the 1st of the year... That way I'll get a tad (not noticiable) more power 6.1-7.1 (vs just Dolby Pro) THX Certified, Pre Outs for all Channels and 2nd and 3rd Zones.... I think I want to use the other two zones for the Bathroom and Kitchen...

Also, want to have a hellified Sub when I build my HT...