PDA

View Full Version : 8s in doors....moisture?

LowLinc
11-28-2005, 12:23 AM
i want to put an 8 for midbass in each of my front doors. only question i have is, wont the water that leaks past the window felt damage my speakers?

they are beal bros 8s btw.

spljim
11-28-2005, 10:20 AM
it shuld be ok but if you wont pick a set of thes up http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7ZL2AEeEZXY/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=762&I=237XT80

bikejunkie223
11-28-2005, 10:23 AM
car speakers are designed to handle some moisture, and if your moisture barrier isn't intact it can cause a waterleak into the car, but you can cut a butter tub in half to make an umbrella over the speaker if you are concerned about it.

LowLinc
11-28-2005, 09:54 PM
wont the foam baffles act like an encloure almost?

i think ill just make a sheild out of a butter tub or somthing like that.

Bartak1
11-28-2005, 11:31 PM
The majority of speakers mounted in doors will get moisture/water/dust on them. That kind of crap always gets in your doors.

My RE mids are in my doors and on the back side of the cone I can see spots where water has ran down them, a layer of dust on them ( gravel roads are a biach) etc. They still work fine.

If you are really worried about it the buttertub idea is a good one. Or maybe some of those speaker baffle things. They are like a little enclosure for your mids, they would keep dirt/moisture out, plus you would have to worry about sealin the door all up.

EDIT. Didnt see someone linked to those baffles already. Oops :)

JAZN
11-28-2005, 11:40 PM
wont the foam baffles act like an encloure almost?

i think ill just make a sheild out of a butter tub or somthing like that.
You can just cut open a hole in the foam baffles where water wont drip in.

3.5Max6spd
11-28-2005, 11:48 PM
You can just cut open a hole in the foam baffles where water wont drip in.

One should really not restrict the airspace around the back of an IB driver...

I say if its a caraudio speaker, its designed to withstand the elements in the automotive world..