PDA

View Full Version : RE RE comps x-over freq.

Bartak1
11-27-2005, 08:58 PM
Well, these RE comps arent sounding so great to me lately so Im going to try to make up a new set, and I figure I might as well use the crossover that came with my RE comps. However, I dont know what the x-over freq. is. So does anyone have an idea?

Also, does anyone know where to get god tweeters and mids? I find some nice stuff on PE, but its all 8 ohm. I cant seem to find much 4 ohm stuff.

Thanks for the help

azazel
11-28-2005, 07:58 AM
Don't let the 8 ohm bother you. I'm using 8 ohm and it sounds great.

squeak9798
11-28-2005, 08:09 AM
Don't let the 8 ohm bother you. I'm using 8 ohm and it sounds great.

Yes, but using 8ohm speakers on a passive designed for 4ohm generally = bad news.

As far as 4ohm DIY stuff....you just need to look. There are some......Max Fidelity, Peerless & Vifa have some 4ohm drivers, Dayton Ref tweets are 4ohm, etc etc.

GSteg
11-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Bartak1, how much do you plan to spend on mids and tweeters? Instead of limiting your speakers just because of impedence, maybe you should work around it. Many speakers sounds great whether they are 4ohm or 8ohm. Limiting yourself to 4ohm really narrows down your opportunity to find nice sounding speakers.

Either you really try to find 4ohm speakers that fits your need, or go active and open up a choice of 4ohm and/or 8ohm. The Dayton reference are nice. The money you save with them will allow u to save for an active crossover, or build your own passive network.

loserpunk
11-28-2005, 09:42 PM
as far as i know i think the RE xover is set @ 2500hz...how much power are you sending the comps? if you send them much over the rated 60 watts the tweets will have pretty bad breakup down near 2500, if you are giving them over 60 watts try going active if you can and raise the xover to like 3000-3500

Bartak1
11-28-2005, 10:24 PM
Yes, they are getting more than 50. I have them on a RF 301s, which is 75 watts per channel.

Im not sure if I want to go 8 ohm much, 40 ish watts per side just doesnt seem like very much power to me, I dunno. I was thinking I could always get 2 8 ohm speakers per side so I can have 4 ohm on the crossover, and the extra speaker would probably make up for the difference from 40 watts to 75. But I barely have room for one speaker per side, let alone two.

I dont know if I want to do an active crossover for the drivers in the RE comp set. They really arent impressing me much. For the money, yes they are impressive-for really good sound quality-not really. Im sure crossing them over higher would help some two, but its not going to help the woofer any.

A while back I was looking at the Dayton Reference Classic 6.5 woofers, which I can get in 4 ohm, and maybe the Audax TM025F1 tweeters (8 ohm I would have to get 2, I can prob find room for 2 tweets though) Not sure exactley how I would mount them for good imaging either since they arent swivel or anything like that. 2500 Hz xover might be to low for them also.

Hmmmmm.

Been thinking of trying out some planar tweets too.

**** Im filling my head with to many ideas.

Oh yeah, anyone have any experience with the Dayton mid and Audax tweet I mentioned above. Iv heard good things about them, but havent heard them myself, I was just kind of going to take a shot in the dark with those back then. Had a 3k or 3.5 k (cant remember now) passive xover picked out for them.
I had that little system picked out before I got my RE RE's, and I wouldnt want to get them if they arent going to do any better than the RE's.

EDIT
Reason: Went retarded when typing post

azazel
11-30-2005, 08:01 AM
Don't worry so much about impedance! You can always put a resistor in for impedance matching. Try not to limit yourself to those RE crossovers either. You can always build your own crossovers or find someone to design the crossovers for you. I think Madisound offers crossover designs since they have data on all of their speakers. They might even build it for you, I'm not sure.

I had the RE Comps and I was thinking about doing exactly what you are doing right now. I decided to ditch the idea and I went with Dayton 7" Reference woofers (8 ohm) mated with the Dayton neodymium 3/4" tweeters (6 ohm). I built 4th order crossovers based on Ology's specs (massive xovers). I used all quality parts. These babies put the RE crossovers to shame. So far I've only installed the tweeters and they sound great. They aren't as harsh as the RE tweets.

Bartak1
11-30-2005, 05:30 PM
The main reason I dont want to go with 8 ohm is just because I barely have ***** for power there. I have 75 watts per channel at 4 ohm, so whats that? 37ish watts per side (deal with me, I **** at math)? To me that doesnt seem like very much power.

The though of making my own Xovers is always hanging around in my mind. Or possibly buying a pair of Dayton Audio xovers from PE. 2 ways for 20 bucks a peice. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-146

If I could find a cheap Diamond D5600.4 amp, THEN I would go active. I dont know if my alternator can handle that along with my D5600.1 though. :(

What do you have your xover freq. at? Those RS's look like they start getting a lil choppy after 2k hz.

azazel
12-01-2005, 10:42 AM
The main reason I dont want to go with 8 ohm is just because I barely have ***** for power there. I have 75 watts per channel at 4 ohm, so whats that? 37ish watts per side (deal with me, I **** at math)? To me that doesnt seem like very much power.

The though of making my own Xovers is always hanging around in my mind. Or possibly buying a pair of Dayton Audio xovers from PE. 2 ways for 20 bucks a peice. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-146

If I could find a cheap Diamond D5600.4 amp, THEN I would go active. I dont know if my alternator can handle that along with my D5600.1 though. :(

What do you have your xover freq. at? Those RS's look like they start getting a lil choppy after 2k hz.

My Xover frequency is at about 2.5KHz 4th order with a Zobel network.

Don't worry too much about the wattage hit that you will take. Even at 37 watts you are only 3dB down from 75 watts. That should be plenty. If you've ever measured the actual wattage that you're sending your speakers, you'd be amazed at how little power you're actually sending them to get quite a bit of volume. I measured a 4 ohm speaker on my home system at normal listening levels and I wasn't even giving it 1 watt!

Also remember that the power that your amp puts out is not necessarily cut in half when the impedance doubles. It will be less, yes (P = V/R) but at the same time, a higher impedance (say, P = V/2R) will often result in slightly higher voltages (it now becomes P = (V + x)/2R) across the speaker, which means that the power will be reduced, but not necessarily by a factor of 2.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you should be fine. If you find that it's not loud enough for you, you can get a bigger amp. If this setup is all you have in your car, I doubt that your alternator will have a problem with it. I have one of the smallest cars on the road (with a proportional alternator) and I have a 100Wx2 @4 ohm amp in it with no electrical problems at all.

Bartak1
12-01-2005, 07:05 PM
So those things sound pretty good going that high? That just seems a little to high to me, maybe not though.

I have that amp, plus my Diamond D5. I have a lil dimmage as it is :) If I took the time I could fix that though.