PDA

View Full Version : Midbass options?

96MaxGLE
11-27-2005, 04:22 AM
I'm looking for some suggestions for midbass. They're gonna b paired with ID CD1e full-body horns.

UndercoverPunk
11-27-2005, 04:26 AM
Extremi would pair up excellently...

supa_c
11-27-2005, 04:36 AM
Yep yep
If you have enough power at 8ohms they would be just dandy.

squeak9798
11-27-2005, 11:35 AM
What size are you looking for....6.5" or 8"?

What's your budget?

Are you running active?

How much power will you have?

96MaxGLE
11-27-2005, 03:56 PM
What size are you looking for....6.5" or 8"?

What's your budget?

Are you running active?

How much power will you have?

I can fit 8's n my doors. As far as a budget goes, i don't really have one (i want to make sure I'm happy with what I get), and I'm taking my time to get everything setup. I'll be running active, and hoping to have 175-200w x 2 RMS for my mids. My horns will b getting around 25-30w x 2. I'm looking for something on the lines of Seas, Vifa, Peerless, Morel, Dayton, or maybe even Dynaudio. I don't mind using a 8ohm driver.

96MaxGLE
11-28-2005, 09:35 PM
to the top...

bri487
11-28-2005, 09:51 PM
I can fit 8's n my doors. As far as a budget goes, i don't really have one (i want to make sure I'm happy with what I get), and I'm taking my time to get everything setup. I'll be running active, and hoping to have 175-200w x 2 RMS for my mids. My horns will b getting around 25-30w x 2. I'm looking for something on the lines of Seas, Vifa, Peerless, Morel, Dayton, or maybe even Dynaudio. I don't mind using a 8ohm driver.

:bowdown: dynaudio.....

96MaxGLE
11-29-2005, 01:36 AM
How about IDQ 8's? Anyone know where to find them?

flakko
11-29-2005, 02:06 AM
what about those Adire-made drivers comin out?

supa_c
11-29-2005, 03:36 AM
I dont think he wants to wait another 4 months

JAZN
11-29-2005, 03:54 AM
Gonna agree on the extremis suggestion. Just make sure you have the power.

flakko
11-29-2005, 04:26 AM
what 4 more months?

squeak9798
11-29-2005, 09:14 AM
How about IDQ 8's? Anyone know where to find them?

Ebay is your only hope.

Dayton Reference 8's would be an option.

UndercoverPunk
11-29-2005, 09:31 AM
I dont think he wants to wait another 4 months

I actually hope it takes them that long...

96MaxGLE
11-29-2005, 06:05 PM
What r the pros/cons of running an 8ohm driver instead of a 4ohm? I know that it will b less power going to a 8ohm than a 4ohm.

3.5Max6spd
11-29-2005, 06:29 PM
There are a few 4ohm 8" mid DIY options...
Morel Mw265(paper)
Morel Mw266(poly)
Vifa Mg22
Vifa premium PL22

Or here ya go, a cheap 'experimental' route, 4ohms, high Qts for IB, and 93db efficiency to try to mate to horns
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=299-669

squeak9798
11-29-2005, 06:35 PM
What r the pros/cons of running an 8ohm driver instead of a 4ohm? I know that it will b less power going to a 8ohm than a 4ohm.

You are purchasing an entire speaker, not just an impedance. And the performance of the driver itself off of the power you have available, and not it's impedance, should be your deciding factor.

Also; http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31

JAZN
11-30-2005, 03:46 AM
Wiggins told me a real 30-40wrms @ 8ohms would be good on the Extremis IB.

OlogyAudio
11-30-2005, 04:52 AM
I actually hope it takes them that long...
Any reason why? :eyebrow:

They would be done faster than that even if we made them in china...

flakko
11-30-2005, 04:55 AM
Any reason why? :eyebrow:

They would be done faster than that even if we made them in china...

dem chinos **** at makin stuff...

but wait, if your gettin it from china, will it be cheaper?

OlogyAudio
11-30-2005, 04:58 AM
dem chinos **** at makin stuff...

but wait, if your gettin it from china, will it be cheaper?
There is an IF in there for a reason :) -- but yea if we did and if the Chinese managed to keep QC good enough that we didn't have to toss out 1/3 of them... thn yes I would imagine a lower price point to get the larger order quantity required to make china economical...

flakko
11-30-2005, 05:01 AM
i say go with china then lol, if DLS can make stuff there still be popular and sell, ANYONE can :)

OlogyAudio
11-30-2005, 07:23 AM
i say go with china then lol, if DLS can make stuff there still be popular and sell, ANYONE can :)

We will see :)

Also that parsexpress mid is rated at 93dB/2.83V/m -- if you were to rate with 2.83V for our mid @ 2 ohms... that makes it about 100dB/2.83V/m :eek: -- but yea thats kinda misleading...

Just thought I'd point out that little sensitivity trick that is often used ;)

96MaxGLE
12-12-2005, 05:08 PM
to the top...

can i order the Extremis from Adire?

flakko
12-12-2005, 05:12 PM
We will see :)

Also that parsexpress mid is rated at 93dB/2.83V/m -- if you were to rate with 2.83V for our mid @ 2 ohms... that makes it about 100dB/2.83V/m :eek: -- but yea thats kinda misleading...

Just thought I'd point out that little sensitivity trick that is often used ;)

yessiree thats gonna be loud.

96MaxGLE
12-12-2005, 05:29 PM
I've heard some good things about Usher drivers...how about these?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=296-616

Also have been looking at the 8" Dayton Refs. Suggest some things from Madisound or Partsexpress, probably gonna run a 8ohm woofer.

HowLowd
12-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Let it Burn (http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=286&raid=46&rak=usher#woofer)
8955a has me curous as well, looks good..

96MaxGLE
12-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Yea I had looked at those, too. I talked to ID, and he gave me some specs to look for.

Q : .3 - .5 (lower n the range the better)
FS: mid 30 - 60
Efficency: 88db (4ohm driver), 90 - 92db (8ohm driver)

he also said that a paper or poly cone would b my best choices for cone material

I'm thinking about ordering my drivers single for testing purposes first, and once I find one I really like order the 2nd one. Not sure what kind of amp I'm gonna run for my mids yet, but the guy at ID said if my horns r getting 25 x 2, I should at least give my mids 125 x 2.

JAZN
12-12-2005, 08:04 PM
to the top...

can i order the Extremis from Adire?
http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofer_drivers/adire_extremis/index.shtml

96MaxGLE
12-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Do you have any experience with these? I'm really looking for a 8" driver, but I have heard good things about these. What kinda power do these things need...I see the effincency is a little low @ 86db...

JAZN
12-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Do you have any experience with these? I'm really looking for a 8" driver, but I have heard good things about these. What kinda power do these things need...I see the effincency is a little low @ 86db...
I'm personally running a set. Feeding them about 125w each, and they get moving like crazy. Hell, they have as much xmax as some subs. Low end is great, pretty much as good as it gets for a mid. Top end isn't the best IMO, for me it gets a little nasty too far past 2.5khz. All this is gonna be install dependent too.

96MaxGLE
12-13-2005, 02:44 AM
Well talked to a tech guy at Image Dynaimcs today, and he gave me some recommendations on some specs to look for when choosing a midbass driver. Of course he told me that the IDQ 8 would b perfect for these, but unfortunatly I can't find them anywhere.

Here r the specs he told me to look for:

Q: .3 - .5 (the lower n the range the better)

FS: mid 30 - 60

efficency: 88db (4ohm), 90 - 92 (8ohm)

He also told me to look for a paper or poly cone. So I'm still looking, a lot of these 8ohm drivers that I have looked at have an efficency of 86-89db. So with a low efficency and a low RMS, I'm probably gonna have to look for other options.

I have found these Peerless PPB 830868 8"...they're on Madisound, but currently not availible. They also have a higher RMS than most of the 8ohm drivers I have looked at (120w). Also I looked at the Seas P21RF/P (H511). So let me know what you think about these guys...

96MaxGLE
12-13-2005, 02:44 AM
Would this b enough to EQ my frontstage?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WY2MTr...44&i=113KGC9044

I have a Kenwood ddx-7015, and if this would handle the tuning for my horns and possibly midbass, i think this would look really good where the little drawer is n my 4th gen dash. Only thing is that its 4v preouts, but so does my HU.

JAZN
12-13-2005, 05:18 AM
Your link takes me to Crutchfield's homepage.

96MaxGLE
12-13-2005, 06:47 PM
Sorry bout that guys....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-awGyaOaSLFh/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=140&I=113KGC9044&search=Kenwood+VENDORID113&SearchDisplay=Kenwood

T3mpest
12-14-2005, 01:20 AM
phl is more than efficient enough, how does 100db/watt/m sound? PHL 2520. They are a bit pricey i think about 350-400 for a pair, but just about the best 8inch mid you'll find to mate with horns.

bri487
12-14-2005, 01:33 AM
if you are going to spend 300 on that, go for the zapco sp4. it is the best EQ for the money. dont let the 4 band scare you away, it is better than the arc 7 band that i had in my truck before that.

3.5Max6spd
12-14-2005, 02:27 PM
if you are going to spend 300 on that, go for the zapco sp4. it is the best EQ for the money. dont let the 4 band scare you away, it is better than the arc 7 band that i had in my truck before that.

:uhoh: please explain how 4bands are better than 7 bands for tuning? both units not true parametrics, both quasiparametrics with set q values.....

bri487
12-14-2005, 04:36 PM
:uhoh: please explain how 4bands are better than 7 bands for tuning? both units not true parametrics, both quasiparametrics with set q values.....

dont get but hurt cause i said that my 4 band is better than my old 7 band arc. the arc had very little mid range, and mid bass was non existant. the change from the arc PEQ to the SP4 was 10 fold.

HeatSeeker
12-14-2005, 05:03 PM
http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofer_drivers/adire_extremis/index.shtml

Aw crap if thought they were unavailable for some reason, or I woulda gotten them instead of the xxx mids. 99 shipped, **** good deal. Oh well:furious:

squeak9798
12-14-2005, 05:10 PM
dont get but hurt cause i said that my 4 band is better than my old 7 band arc. the arc had very little mid range, and mid bass was non existant. the change from the arc PEQ to the SP4 was 10 fold.

Sounds like tuning differences to me.

Frankly, I'm with 3.5max.

7 > 4

bri487
12-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Sounds like tuning differences to me.

Frankly, I'm with 3.5max.

7 > 4

mid bass/ mid range is where i noticed the 7 band lacking. right off the bat, with the amplifier exactly the same, i noticed a huge difference. the only thing i noticed that was up to par on the 7 band was the highs.

3.5Max6spd
12-14-2005, 06:43 PM
mid bass/ mid range is where i noticed the 7 band lacking. right off the bat, with the amplifier exactly the same, i noticed a huge difference. the only thing i noticed that was up to par on the 7 band was the highs.

:laugh:
I'm sorry to call you out on it again...but you dont sound very smart simply by throwing big names around- your logic is not the type of which those companies would benefit from representing them as a consumer base. Its not whether the Zap 4 band is a good Eq or not, its your logic on how you describe that it is 'better' than a 7 band in how your midbass sounds (both Eq's in question have
close thd levels/ signal to noise) Any differences you'd hear would be responsible via YOUR tuning.

... With 4 bands OF COURSE YOU ARE
GOING TO GET A BIGGER AUDIBLE BOOST when you tune one band because that band covers a greater range of frequencies as opposed to a 7band - which covers a smaller area and allows more precise tuning of the frequencies that NEED tuning.

The real difference you are noting is through perception-(because apparently that is how
a newb like you judges something) . Your boost of the center freq of 125hz on a unit like that affects way into to midrange being the next band is at 1khz

The problem with an Parametric (in this case quasi-parametric)
4 bands is that it affects frequencies that MAY NOT need tuning whatsoever- resulting in poorly tuned system.

The purpose of an EQ is to tune....
more bands ->more precise tuning-> better

(Of course your real purpose anytime you get a chance is to say that a Zap product is better than an Arc one....) I say you are full of shyt, and your posts lately confirm it.

Bartak1
12-14-2005, 09:52 PM
So to get back to the topic sorta, has anyone tried those 8 inch Ushers? Ive been tossing around the idea of getting those for like 3 months, but dont want to dish out the money for them and end up with something Im not real pleased with. Of course they look so cool to me thats about enough to make me buy them :)

Ive really been thinkin about a pair for awhile though. Ill probably be all bumbed out when I find out for sure I cant fit 8's in my doors. My 6.5's were a bish to get in there. Hopefully theres more room in there than I think there is.

bri487
12-15-2005, 01:17 AM
:laugh:
I'm sorry to call you out on it again...but you dont sound very smart simply by throwing big names around- your logic is not the type of which those companies would benefit from representing them as a consumer base. Its not whether the Zap 4 band is a good Eq or not, its your logic on how you describe that it is 'better' than a 7 band in how your midbass sounds (both Eq's in question have
close thd levels/ signal to noise) Any differences you'd hear would be responsible via YOUR tuning.

... With 4 bands OF COURSE YOU ARE
GOING TO GET A BIGGER AUDIBLE BOOST when you tune one band because that band covers a greater range of frequencies as opposed to a 7band - which covers a smaller area and allows more precise tuning of the frequencies that NEED tuning.

The real difference you are noting is through perception-(because apparently that is how
a newb like you judges something) . Your boost of the center freq of 125hz on a unit like that affects way into to midrange being the next band is at 1khz

The problem with an Parametric (in this case quasi-parametric)
4 bands is that it affects frequencies that MAY NOT need tuning whatsoever- resulting in poorly tuned system.

The purpose of an EQ is to tune....
more bands ->more precise tuning-> better

(Of course your real purpose anytime you get a chance is to say that a Zap product is better than an Arc one....) I say you are full of shyt, and your posts lately confirm it.

do you masterbate to arc's ads or what dude? throwing out big words, is that something you made up to make yourself sound better or smarter or something. its a simple fact that the arc KEQ and PEQ lack in mid range and mid bass. everyone i know of that has gone with either of those EQ's has been unhappy with them, including myself. hours of testing obviously dont make up for the extensive catalog learned knowledge that you have.

T3mpest
12-15-2005, 02:07 AM
A EQ wont' mess with your signal that much unless it's broken. I agre with everyone else. On your seven band you'd have to increase 2 bands just to equal the change in 1, they cover a bigger range. The ENTIRE point of an EQ is for flexability, to quote squeek 7>4. If they caused you to a have a dip in those frequencies why didn't you just EQ it out, isnt' that what they are for?

bri487
12-15-2005, 03:09 AM
A EQ wont' mess with your signal that much unless it's broken. I agre with everyone else. On your seven band you'd have to increase 2 bands just to equal the change in 1, they cover a bigger range. The ENTIRE point of an EQ is for flexability, to quote squeek 7>4. If they caused you to a have a dip in those frequencies why didn't you just EQ it out, isnt' that what they are for?

couldnt get the same results with the arcs that i have been able to get with my SP4.

3.5Max6spd
12-15-2005, 08:07 AM
hours of testing obviously dont make up for the extensive catalog learned knowledge that you have.

If you you spoke with substance or some real 'hard' data , but no.
I've played with some of the finer analog units on the market , SP4/SP7 as well- the 'magical' difference you claim by simply adding the unit does not exist-period, so stock smoking the Zapco pole. There isn't even any difference between the opamps used between the units that would result to sound outside of the changes of the tuning itself- all an eq like that serves is as a fancy preamp with tone controls.

bri487
12-15-2005, 02:29 PM
If you you spoke with substance or some real 'hard' data , but no.
I've played with some of the finer analog units on the market , SP4/SP7 as well- the 'magical' difference you claim by simply adding the unit does not exist-period, so stock smoking the Zapco pole. There isn't even any difference between the opamps used between the units that would result to sound outside of the changes of the tuning itself- all an eq like that serves is as a fancy preamp with tone controls.

i too have played with the dxe, sx-sl, as well as other high end analog processing, so i do know what a good EQ is made of.

either way, it must be the fairy dust they use.

96MaxGLE
12-15-2005, 05:58 PM
Lets get back to helping me with some midbass options. I didn't ask for opinions on any other EQ other than the Kenwood that I listed. I was wondering if it would give me enough control over everything to b happy, and plus it will mount n my extra DIN slot.

bri487
12-16-2005, 12:07 AM
Lets get back to helping me with some midbass options. I didn't ask for opinions on any other EQ other than the Kenwood that I listed. I was wondering if it would give me enough control over everything to b happy, and plus it will mount n my extra DIN slot.

the original point was that you can get a better EQ for the money.

96MaxGLE
12-19-2005, 05:16 PM
How about the Morel HU9.1's?