PDA

View Full Version : Can I....?(glassing shortcuts, need advise)

Omarvelous
11-24-2005, 09:34 AM
Hey

About to start glassing,

Wanted to know the quickest way to glass.

I have Biaxial Cloth 17oz.

Was wondering if i could like lay them down, likst 3 layers, and just start dumping resin on top of that? Let it soak and roll it.

It's cold and i'd hate to have to do each piece at a time.

Also what's the best way to lay the glass? I was thinking first layer would be like 2"x4" strips all laid straight and the 2nd layer perpendicular to that? Or shouild i interchange the first layer, Or just do it in every angle possible?

THUNDERBIRD
11-24-2005, 11:50 AM
do it peice by peice, and do one layer one direction and the neck layer another direction almost like making a bunch of + signs will at strength. what r u glassin and get some pics up

Rza
11-24-2005, 12:07 PM
If youre using 17oz why do 3 layers? standard thickness used is 18oz (3 layers of 6oz) I think 2 layers is more than enough and if you dont mix your resin to hot you can do one layer over the other in 1 shot just cross em.

NhustlaR
11-24-2005, 12:28 PM
I would try to do it inside, if possible, glassing in the cold=horrible. but other than that gl and take adv. from the guys up top

THUNDERBIRD
11-25-2005, 07:05 AM
i forgot to say the more layer the better kuz less flex. i have i believe 8-10 layers on my box but i cant remeber kuz the fumes made me really high

mikescanlon
11-25-2005, 08:09 AM
i forgot to say the more layer the better kuz less flex. i have i believe 8-10 layers on my box but i cant remeber kuz the fumes made me really high

you still high now?

2 should be fine with 17 oz.

NhustlaR
11-25-2005, 09:04 AM
you still high now?

2 should be fine with 17 oz.

LOL

Omarvelous
11-26-2005, 11:11 AM
lol, Thx guys! Yea i actually am doing 2 layers, with like some areas getting 3, mainly because i had extra resin/coth strips so i just threw it on there!

This shi+ is TUFF!!! wow! NOW i see what ramos was talking about when i was worried about the paint.

I need to just grind of the spikes and extra, then fleece a port, resin, glass that then the bottom, and i'm done. I'm gonna aim for today.

I do it outside because of the fumes, don't want them to get in the house, becauise my garage is attached.

When i do the filling and sanding i'll take that inside.

ramos
11-28-2005, 10:51 AM
I usually try to use as large of pieces as I can manage. And lay as many layers at one time as possible. Switching bias with each layer. :)