View Full Version : Amplifier Blind Test: Pro amp vs. Home amp

thylantyr
11-23-2005, 05:46 PM
:)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=607389

Long read, but worth the time.

joetama
11-27-2005, 04:17 AM
Wow, i'm going to say they need to put on a Crest 8001, or a QSC MX1500A (not a cheapo model but a 1994 vintage one). With pro-audio for instance JBL and EV sound the same with Crest, QSC, EV, Crown (CLOWN), or H&H (older MOS-FET amps). However, a good full range cabinate like a Meyer (MSL-3A To be specific) the QSC and Crest always sound the best with the QSC having a definate edge over the Crest. Or if you want your Pro-Audio cabinate to sound home audio Lab.Gruppen Amps, gotta love them.

PS I hate to be a jerk about it but Carven ***** arse. It might as well be mackie, woops did i say that.

AG

joetama
11-27-2005, 04:26 AM
No offence to anyone, i just dont like lamo gear.

thylantyr
11-27-2005, 03:07 PM
Even though their level matching method is not the best one, it was good enough
for a quick and simple blind test. Two amplifier unclipped at the same power level were not distinguishable :)
The reason people hate lamo gear is because it's not over-engineered to take more abuse but operated in it's
linear region and accepting it's unclipped power output, it's just as good :laugh: I'm sure if you test the
amplifiers outside their performance envelope the amplifiers will start to behave uniquely.

DBfan187
11-27-2005, 05:18 PM
cliff notes?

I'm not patient today.

squeak9798
11-28-2005, 04:19 PM
cliff notes?

I'm not patient today.

Looking at the attached charts, an X symbolizes that the listener was able to pick the correct amp. In session 1, I was correct 50% of the time, Gudrun was correct 60% of the time. Afterwards, we mentioned what specific details we THOUGHT we heard differences in, as before we got the results we were somewhat confident, but there really were none. We agreed it was impossible to tell a difference.

In session 2, Dr. Jon was correct 50% of the time, and Gudrun was correct 80% of the time. Gudrun admitted afterwards that she just got lucky guessing on this test, as she legitimately could not hear any differences.

In session 3, Dr. Jon was correct 60% of the time and I was correct 80% of the time. I'll openly admit too, it was just guessing, nothing more.

Doing these tests, it becomes obvious VERY quickly that the two amps sounded identical. There were NO differences between them. This is not like auditioning speakers, where differences are abundant and clear - these amps sounded exactly the same. I realize that some "hi end" amps add their own sonic signature with a NON-flat FR response, but that wasn't the case with these two. If we had the time and patience to do more trials per session, say 20-40, I am positive all results would have been right around 50%. I believe Dr. Jon will agree to that - he will likely chime in on this thread.

Pretty much sums it up. And pretty much as expected.....IMO atleast.