PDA

View Full Version : OMG, i'm doing SQ!!!!

tommyk90
11-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Alright, so my new project truck is coming along (by coming along, i mean its not running and i'm tearing the interior apart). Anyways, i'm trying to piece together an SQ setup in my head and this is what i have so far.

Headunit: some type of indash dvd player (leaning towards the kenwood 717)
Speakers: front stage only: RE RE components, and a midbass (XXX 6" or dayton RS 7") all the speakers in door pods
Speaker amp: MTX blue thunder 400x5 (dedicated sub channel to power the midbass).
subs: its gonna be ridiculous
sub amps: lots of them

Now, for the problems. I have heard the RE tweeters are kinda harsh, any recommendations on curing this problem(either with different components, or piecing a set together)? I'm not dead set on the component set, so i'm up for suggestions. I'd like to have something that is a complete kit because i don't want to deal with an active component set at this time (if the RE mid is ok, but i just need to change the tweeter, that is o.k. too as long as somebody has a recommendation on a tweeter.

I'm gonna have a HEFTY sub stage, so i'm gonna need some components that are gonna scream with the power i can feed em, but won't kill my ears with harsh treble, or struggle to keep up with the subs.

I'm a n00b at SQ, so any help is appreciated. :)

Speedyd718
11-20-2005, 09:40 PM
if u can spend the $$ i'd go for the new eclipse in dashes. they look really good.

chubby
11-20-2005, 09:46 PM
dosent sound like much of a SQ install lol.

RE RE 6.5s=crap in reference of high end sound quality

if you need somethign that'll keep up with a serious substage and you have room. HORNS!

if not, look at some of the CDT image "enhancement" tweeter packages. tends to help out with the highs.

remember to get a lot of sound deadening, an nice equalizer, and/or sound processors.

Speedyd718
11-20-2005, 09:59 PM
dayton mid ranges? to go with dayton mid basses? and some dayton large format tweets? maybe some ology custom x-overs.

tommyk90
11-20-2005, 11:12 PM
dosent sound like much of a SQ install lol.

RE RE 6.5s=crap in reference of high end sound quality

if you need somethign that'll keep up with a serious substage and you have room. HORNS!

if not, look at some of the CDT image "enhancement" tweeter packages. tends to help out with the highs.

remember to get a lot of sound deadening, an nice equalizer, and/or sound processors.

It doesnt take TOO much to impress an SPL person in the SQ world. :)

I'm not planning on spending an ASSLOAD on SQ speakers since it's not my main focus. I just want something that can keep up with my sub and still sound good. Sound deadening may or may not happen (depending on if it hurts or helps my SPL), and the only equalizers i'll be using are the ones on the amp. :)

thats why i would like to have a whole component set with the crossovers. Trying to make it easy for myself since this is the first real effort i'll put into SQ.

squeak9798
11-20-2005, 11:22 PM
That amp will do 150x2 with the front four channels bridged, correct? If so, that's how I'd run it.

Also, why in the hell are you going to run your midbass mono?? You'll be severly limited on what you could do with them and still acheive good sound.....even then, it will take a lot of skill setting it up properly. IMHO, ditch the mono midbass idea.

If you want strong midbass (which I assume was the purpose behind the wanting the extra midbass), snatch up the Extremis, mate a good Vifa or Seas tweeter and build your own passive.

If you want to ditch that amp, find something with a little more power I'd suggest BA Pro's. But they really excel with 200w+ per side. I had 400w per side on my old Pro6.5 set, and it got loud enough to literally make your ears pop :D Next to my horns, that's the loudest front stage I've heard.........and they sounded pretty darn good doing it too.

Or, check into Beyma. They have some relatively high efficiency products that should get nutso loud off of the 150w x 2 you have available.

tommyk90
11-20-2005, 11:32 PM
That amp will do 150x2 with the front four channels bridged, correct? If so, that's how I'd run it.

Also, why in the hell are you going to run your midbass mono?? You'll be severly limited on what you could do with them and still acheive good sound.....even then, it will take a lot of skill setting it up properly. IMHO, ditch the mono midbass idea.

If you want strong midbass (which I assume was the purpose behind the wanting the extra midbass), snatch up the Extremis, mate a good Vifa or Seas tweeter and build your own passive.

If you want to ditch that amp, find something with a little more power I'd suggest BA Pro's. But they really excel with 200w+ per side. I had 400w per side on my old Pro6.5 set, and it got loud enough to literally make your ears pop :D Next to my horns, that's the loudest front stage I've heard.........and they sounded pretty darn good doing it too.

Or, check into Beyma. They have some relatively high efficiency products that should get nutso loud off of the 150w x 2 you have available.

The midbass off the mono section of the amp wouldnt be THAT limited. They would basically take over where the subs left off. I'm not exactly sure what the crossover is on it though, i'll have to check on that later. Anyways, it was just a thought.

I don't really want to ditch the amp because i'd like to have the mono sub channel just in case i decide to toss some 8's in the front (in case i dont use the sub channel for the midbass), plus i'm trying to do this SQ setup on a budget.

I dont remember the power ratings because i can't seem to get to MTX's site and look em up.

Like i said, i'm trying to do this cheap enough so i'm not spending more on SQ stuff than i am on subs. :)

Lil Poot
11-20-2005, 11:44 PM
are you planning on competing with it or just want something that sounds good for daily? from what i understand, sq competition judges dont like huge bass.

tommyk90
11-20-2005, 11:47 PM
are you planning on competing with it or just want something that sounds good for daily? from what i understand, sq competition judges dont like huge bass.

I'd turn the subs down/off for the SQ part. :)

squeak9798
11-20-2005, 11:47 PM
The midbass off the mono section of the amp wouldnt be THAT limited. They would basically take over where the subs left off. I'm not exactly sure what the crossover is on it though, i'll have to check on that later. Anyways, it was just a thought.

No.....I think you missed my point. If using mono midbass, you'd be extremely limited on what you could do with it in terms of frequency range it played, placement of the midbass, etc etc, while still maintaining proper sound.

Not to mention, it would take one very skilled in system tuning to make it sound close to decent........

But like I said.....check out Beyma. Should have something to suit your needs for quality, loud sound.

azbass
11-20-2005, 11:49 PM
dose not sound like a good sq system.

Chevyaudio
11-20-2005, 11:55 PM
Kinda sounds like a SQ system that an SPL guy would put together. ;)

GSteg
11-20-2005, 11:56 PM
I'm with squeak on this.

Throw in an iasca CD where they play with your left and right channel. There is this one track where the voice will be heard from the left side. Thereafter, it shifts to the center, and then the right. When the voice is heard from the left side, the right channel should have no output. But since you're in mono, a bit of information might leak through the right side, so it'll drag the voice a bit to the right.

Your SQ setup looks like any other setup, except for the fact that you your down your sub for SQ. An SQ setup involves tuning, speaker placement, etc, not necessarly how much you spend on your front stage or whatever.

The RE tweeters sounds a bit harsh due to the fact that they are crossed lower than they should be. You can either replace it with a tweeter that can be crossed low, or change a few parts in the passive xover to obtain a higher frequency point.

tommyk90
11-20-2005, 11:57 PM
No.....I think you missed my point. If using mono midbass, you'd be extremely limited on what you could do with it in terms of frequency range it played, placement of the midbass, etc etc, while still maintaining proper sound.

Not to mention, it would take one very skilled in system tuning to make it sound close to decent........

But like I said.....check out Beyma. Should have something to suit your needs for quality, loud sound.

any place i can see prices? Their website isnt very helpful.

To everyone else: Like i said, i'm not an SQ person. i'd like people's opinions on what they think would be better, not be ridiculed for some of the things i talked about. So unless you're going to help me, don't bother posting again.

jujumantb
11-20-2005, 11:59 PM
I guess SQ is all relative :p:

Sounds like your average SQL system to me, lots of bass, but with decent components.

squeak9798
11-20-2005, 11:59 PM
any place i can see prices? Their website isnt very helpful.

Not that I know of. Your best bet would be to contact a dealer and ask for more info.

Though I do agree.....their website ***** :(

tommyk90
11-21-2005, 12:45 AM
On a side note, i can get the eD 6500 components and eu-700 midbasses pretty cheap as well, so thats another option.

adam71
11-21-2005, 03:45 AM
The midbass off the mono section of the amp wouldnt be THAT limited. They would basically take over where the subs left off.

Well if your midbass were taking over where the sub leaves off then you're getting into more audible frequencies and if they're mono then you will more than likely be screwing up your "stereo image". Sorry, that is probably a foreign term to an SPL guy.:)

supa_c
11-21-2005, 03:54 AM
horns
nuff said

DBfan187
11-21-2005, 08:09 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Viper-550-6-6-CHANNEL-AMPLIFIER-700-watts-ONLY-180_W0QQitemZ5825520057QQcategoryZ4950QQssPageName ZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tommyk90
11-21-2005, 12:35 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Viper-550-6-6-CHANNEL-AMPLIFIER-700-watts-ONLY-180_W0QQitemZ5825520057QQcategoryZ4950QQssPageName ZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd like to use the amp i have simply because i got it for cheap and it does a good amount of power.

Mind you, i have ALOT of subs and amps to buy if i do my proposed setup, so i'm keeping SQ on a budget.

DBfan187
11-21-2005, 12:40 PM
Yeah but want mono midbass. Midbass is stereo.

If I were you, I'd look more into processing and go active.

tommyk90
11-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Yeah but want mono midbass. Midbass is stereo.

If I were you, I'd look more into processing and go active.

Scrap the mono midbass idea, i'll just wire in the midbass with the components.

I can use the mono channel to power some 8's in the console or something if i decide to.

RbAudio_Geek
11-21-2005, 01:07 PM
what about an alpine headunit and maybe some rainbow compoents?

bri487
11-21-2005, 01:13 PM
dynaudio components maybe? also i would check into an in dash EQ if you really want to have control over you highs/mids.

Raven
11-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Everyone else has gotten the point across. I'd hardly call that setup SQ. =p

I'd sugguest the Eu700s over the XXX mids, talk to Ology about some of the tests he's made with them. A decent horn driver with an active crossover would fit them together, and you could use a 2 channel amp for the EUs and run the horns of HU power. It's a little more expensive, but I think you've made your point that a bugdet isn't a huge deal.

For bass, didn't you say you were using an seXXX for DD? That's definitely a nice SQ woofer. If you want more, a used XXX will keep similar SQ and more output. Or you could pile on Decware DHM108B (10s) in a wall or really big low tuned box. They have really noteworth SQ and don't need a lot of power to get moving. And better than Adire, they're actually available. =)

adam71
11-21-2005, 06:51 PM
I can use the mono channel to power some 8's in the console or something if i decide to.

I've always wanted to do something like that. Like maybe a single 10" sub up front or something. I think it would be one amazing front stage to have a sigle 10 up front along with components then you would have no problems with having bass from the sub drawing the soundstage toward the back of the vehicle.

Unfortunately I've never had a car where this could be done. I remember the 97 or 98 IASCA finals where this guy had a camaro with a sub in the dash.

tommyk90
11-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Everyone else has gotten the point across. I'd hardly call that setup SQ. =p

I'd sugguest the Eu700s over the XXX mids, talk to Ology about some of the tests he's made with them. A decent horn driver with an active crossover would fit them together, and you could use a 2 channel amp for the EUs and run the horns of HU power. It's a little more expensive, but I think you've made your point that a bugdet isn't a huge deal.

For bass, didn't you say you were using an seXXX for DD? That's definitely a nice SQ woofer. If you want more, a used XXX will keep similar SQ and more output. Or you could pile on Decware DHM108B (10s) in a wall or really big low tuned box. They have really noteworth SQ and don't need a lot of power to get moving. And better than Adire, they're actually available. =)

eu-700's wouldn't be a problem for me to get...

And the seXXX is in the s-10, this thread is about my other vehicle (silverado) which will become my daily driver once its up and running and in a decent condition to drive. This will also be my competition (SPL) vehicle, thus it is going to have quite a large sub setup in it.

Omarvelous
11-21-2005, 10:18 PM
Give the man some credit huh! He;s "Changing his ways" lmao!

He's come to learn! He's slowlllylyyy letting go the SPL clench, working over the SQL hump, on his way to SQ land!!

So let me get this straight......

you want an SQ by day, and SPL by night, all in the same car?

I'm leaning toward horns for ya. I see u got a couple titles under your belt, n i'd bet the horns might do u good.

I have 0 experience with em, but from what i've read this looks like what u wanna invest in.

alteraudiousa
11-21-2005, 10:57 PM
i wouldn't go with the eu-700s, i'd get something like the CDT ES-600 midwoofes, a 3in Dayton speaker and a CDT tw-24s tweet in an active/ passive setup. I would run the CDT ES-600 active off its own channel, the 3in mid and tw-24s run off a crossover. The 5th channel on the amp runs a dedicated 8in in your center console. Do not over emphasize the 8in but make it blend into the mids. I would get a Eclipse 84 series or high end Alpine that can handle the crossovers and add a LCD if you need. Also what type of SQ are you going for with a LCD??? 5.1 or stereo??? 5.1 you'll need some rears to round out the sound. Maybe some coaxials in the rear.

Raven
11-21-2005, 11:42 PM
eu-700's wouldn't be a problem for me to get...

And the seXXX is in the s-10, this thread is about my other vehicle (silverado) which will become my daily driver once its up and running and in a decent condition to drive. This will also be my competition (SPL) vehicle, thus it is going to have quite a large sub setup in it.

Therein lies the problem. SQ and SPL are on different playing fields. It is not everyday you find an SPL vehicle with enough quality to qualify for a good daily driver. It fits into a very popular argument about a specific subwoofer around here that I won't bring up.

Anyway, is it still MECA? If it is, I would still sugguest the Decware subs, just for a change of pace. They cost less than a Type R, maybe buy one for testing purposes. I hear they are efficient as hell with top notch SQ, so putting like 8 of them in a ported wall with 1.5kw would work out pretty nice for both applications IMO.

tommyk90
11-22-2005, 01:17 AM
Give the man some credit huh! He;s "Changing his ways" lmao!

He's come to learn! He's slowlllylyyy letting go the SPL clench, working over the SQL hump, on his way to SQ land!!

So let me get this straight......

you want an SQ by day, and SPL by night, all in the same car?

I'm leaning toward horns for ya. I see u got a couple titles under your belt, n i'd bet the horns might do u good.

Finally, somebody sees where i'm coming from. :)

I want SQ for competition, still have my SPL setup (the SQ stuff will be turned off for SPL testing), then i want to have a nice balance for daily driving (nasty sub stage with other speakers that can keep up.

So, i don't necessarily want the best of both worlds all the time, SQ will have its portion, then SPL, then i want to have a happy medium for daily.

It seems like maybe something like horns, then a 7" dayton RS midbass, and then a 4-5" speaker as well? This is just an idea.

squeak9798
11-22-2005, 01:21 AM
If you're going to do horns, just stick with a 2-way.

K.I.S.S

tommyk90
11-22-2005, 01:25 AM
If you're going to do horns, just stick with a 2-way.

K.I.S.S

So horns and a 7" midbass then?

The only thing was, is i really didn't look into horns too much because of where they have to be placed. With my luck one of my ******* friends would put their foot into it or something.

Door pods would keep everything out of harms way.

Spkrman
11-22-2005, 01:32 AM
Therein lies the problem. SQ and SPL are on different playing fields. It is not everyday you find an SPL vehicle with enough quality to qualify for a good daily driver. It fits into a very popular argument about a specific subwoofer around here that I won't bring up.

Anyway, is it still MECA? If it is, I would still sugguest the Decware subs, just for a change of pace. They cost less than a Type R, maybe buy one for testing purposes. I hear they are efficient as hell with top notch SQ, so putting like 8 of them in a ported wall with 1.5kw would work out pretty nice for both applications IMO.

Its hard to have a vehicle that does well in SQ and SPL... so what?

The man is ready for the challenge...

The SPL part of it is not in this thread. Taking a bunch of "good sq" woofers and slapping them into a wall doesn't mean they will maintain SQ, or get loud. What will be used for SPL is just that, whatever will get LOUD. The subs can be turned *off* if need be, and a single 8 can be in there for SQ, which IMO would probably be a good idea, if the SPL setup wasn't up to par in SQ.

squeak9798
11-22-2005, 08:09 AM
So horns and a 7" midbass then?

The only thing was, is i really didn't look into horns too much because of where they have to be placed. With my luck one of my ******* friends would put their foot into it or something.

Horns tuck up tight under the dash.......unless your friends have extremely short legs I don't think hitting it with their foot should be a problem :p:

Are you actually going to be competing in SQ next year?

UndercoverPunk
11-22-2005, 08:25 AM
You sure you're not using Type R comps??? ;) :p:

squeak9798
11-22-2005, 11:03 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Image-Dynamics-CD1E-MH-HLCD-6-5-Horn-Component-Set_W0QQitemZ5830895365QQcategoryZ32819QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Image-Dynamics-CD-1E-w-IDQ-6-MDBass-CS1-X-crossovers_W0QQitemZ5831918891QQcategoryZ32819QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

XtrmAudioCncpts
11-22-2005, 11:24 AM
i didnt think that the CD1's sound thats great

UndercoverPunk
11-22-2005, 11:31 AM
I really want some illusion audio ch1's.... not for a little while though.

squeak9798
11-22-2005, 11:33 AM
I really want some illusion audio ch1's.... not for a little while though.

Good luck finding any ;) Both of my pairs are gone, and they're the only ones I've seen for sale in quite a while.

i didnt think that the CD1's sound thats great

With some good tuning the CD1e's can sound respectable.

tommyk90
11-22-2005, 01:22 PM
Horns tuck up tight under the dash.......unless your friends have extremely short legs I don't think hitting it with their foot should be a problem :p:

Are you actually going to be competing in SQ next year?

I really want to try it at a few shows, if it interests me i may stick with it.

I just want to have a ****** daily driver too, that can impress the SQ AND SPL guys. ;)

saywhat?
11-22-2005, 01:31 PM
i'd like people's opinions on what they think would be better, not be ridiculed for some of the things i talked about. So unless you're going to help me, don't bother posting again.

should you and your friends spkrman or whatever be going by this rule as well?

UndercoverPunk
11-22-2005, 01:32 PM
should you and your friends spkrman or whatever be going by this rule as well?

Shut up.

Spkrman
11-22-2005, 01:33 PM
psht, you'll never impress me... even if you did a 170. and got a perfect score in master SQ :)

I'll probably do SQ too... but I honestly don't want to get into that so hardcore.

Either way it goes, if everything goes as planned your setup is gonna be flat out AWESOME.

Spkrman
11-22-2005, 01:34 PM
Shut up.

:cool:

Raven
11-22-2005, 11:18 PM
Its hard to have a vehicle that does well in SQ and SPL... so what?

The man is ready for the challenge...

The SPL part of it is not in this thread. Taking a bunch of "good sq" woofers and slapping them into a wall doesn't mean they will maintain SQ, or get loud. What will be used for SPL is just that, whatever will get LOUD. The subs can be turned *off* if need be, and a single 8 can be in there for SQ, which IMO would probably be a good idea, if the SPL setup wasn't up to par in SQ.

All this time I thought he wanted a setup that got loud and had SQ with the only degree of seperation between being the volume knob. Maybe he doesn't want to take the easy way out by just putting a flicker switch inline with a few sub amps? I'll wait and see what he has to say, rather than assuming that the first course of action for a loud SQ setup is using different equipment for each application.

supa_c
11-22-2005, 11:46 PM
The HVAC will get in the way on the passengers side.
If you wanted to be really cool you would put them in the dash

NeverEnuffBass
11-22-2005, 11:57 PM

x2 on those Beymas.

tommyk90
11-23-2005, 02:12 PM
The HVAC will get in the way on the passengers side.
If you wanted to be really cool you would put them in the dash

I'll have to look and see what kind of clearance i have.

As for putting them in the dash, thats a no go because dash modifications can only go as far as mounting headunits/t.v. screens

saywhat?
11-23-2005, 05:47 PM
psht, you'll never impress me... even if you did a 170. and got a perfect score in master SQ :)

thats all good though, cuz i build my system for me : ) not you.

Spkrman
11-23-2005, 08:27 PM
thats all good though, cuz i build my system for me : ) not you.

You can build it for mother earth as far as I care :eyebrow:

I was just messin with tommy, which would have been kinda obvious if you quoted the whole post.