PDA

View Full Version : Box Input, suggestions, and opinions needed.

Subz
11-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Alright, I'm trying to design a box for a Fosgate Punch 1, 8" sub to go behind the seat of my truck. This was pretty much my only choice, and even now, I have to design my own box.

Anyways, right now my plans are 11"W, 14"T, 4"D1, 6"D2. I know that probably sounds really small to many, but it should give me just the perfect amount of space. What do you guys think?

I was thinking of doing this with 5/8" MDF instead of 3/4", any major downfalls from that choice? I already have ordered the sub, just haven't started box construction. What other actual materials do I need? I have a circular saw, jig saw, wood screws (but could someone recommend a good screw for this application?).

I'll be getting all of the building materials from Home Depot, so what else will I need besides the MDF? I know wood glue, maybe some caulk for the inside corners... any brand recommendations? I'm also uninformed on what exactly I need to seal the sub to the box. I've seen foam applications like weather stripping, but I'm not sure on what to get there either.

I wasn't planning on carpeting the exterrior, just spraypainting flat black.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

mikeyboc
11-20-2005, 11:15 PM
Your box doesn't seem to be large, so there may not be any draw backs to using 5/8" MDF, but why take the chance? Yo9u are taking the time to build it, go ahead and use 3/4" MDF, you will kick yourseld later if you use the thinner and there are problems. Do it the right way the first time.

I usually use coarse thread 1.5" drywall screws and they seem to work relatively well. Pre-drill, glue, shoot your screw in. I have read that weatherstripping is going to be the best for the rim of the sub, but don't know specific brands of that or caulk. Hope this is of some help.

Subz
11-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Thanks mikey, that's about what I needed to know.