PDA

View Full Version : made ourselves

EddieB
11-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Hey guys me and a friend of mine ar making a sub box for two twelves now are there any key points that we should remember; and also tips on applying the carpet to the wood my friend is not that good at it and I've never done it before! I dont want to read any "go buy a box" crap we are trying to do this ourselves so holla back!:up2somet:

LoudCrownVic
11-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Carpet is useless- you don;t need it.

Make even cuts, outside of the lines you draw, with a circular saw, table saw or a table router.

Measure twice, cut once. Make sure the piece is right before you cut it!

Use 3/4" MDF.

Have the right airspace for the speakers you have designed into the box.

Get the mounting holes as round and as precise as possible, otherwise the box tends to leak round there.

EddieB
11-19-2005, 01:33 PM
:up2somet: so mdf is better than particle board and we want to use the carpet just so it matches the inner lining of my truck !

LoudCrownVic
11-19-2005, 01:40 PM
Yes, MDF is easier to work, sand and cut. You will want to use 1.5" drywall screws for the assembly. Pre drill the holes straight with a small drill bit before you screw it in, to avoid misfires.

You can also use woodglue and staples or 1.5" nails.

Make sure you have a box design before you start though!

kuijo
11-19-2005, 01:46 PM
**** i wish i could remember the site that gave that carpet wrapping tutorial.
But you wrap it like a present in wrapping paper, then on the side its all folded up together you cut an X throw all of the pieces of carpet, remove excess carpet pieces that fall off and it should all fit together properly and look professional. If you don't understand what i'm saying, practice on something small first.

EddieB
11-19-2005, 01:51 PM
:uhoh: Crown do you know of any link where I may be able to get any box designs and how to accomplish them step by step?

LoudCrownVic
11-19-2005, 01:53 PM
What subs do you have? What is their optimal sealed enclosure?

EddieB
11-19-2005, 02:01 PM
I have two 12" JL audio subs I have a farely large ported box for them already but that takes up too much space in my explorer as is.

Rza
11-19-2005, 08:20 PM
carpeting 101

1) use 3M super 77 or 99 spray adhesive
2) spray on box and on carpet and allow to tack before applying
3) overlap corners and use a new sharp as can be razor to cut through both layers and remove the excess will make a seamless corner
4) use a roller over the edges and corners to help the seem blend in better
5) cut out your speaker holes after everything has dried as to not pull off the edges of the carpet from the holes.

EddieB
11-19-2005, 08:55 PM
:up2somet: one other question: you say cut out holes after carpeting ok but how? and you see how some boxes have that lip that the woofer sits in which makes it flush with the top layer of the box do you actually need that or what?:up2somet:

azbass
11-19-2005, 11:01 PM
But you wrap it like a present in wrapping paper, then on the side its all folded up together you cut an X throw all of the pieces of carpet, remove excess carpet pieces that fall off and it should all fit together properly and look professional. If you don't understand what i'm saying, practice on something small first.

no.

you sink the sides of the box in. so when you wrap the box, you cover up to the edge of the box, still leaving the sunk in part uncovered. then you cut a square and place it in the sunk in part.

SAG3
11-19-2005, 11:10 PM
double baffle for flush mounting

skmfkr
11-19-2005, 11:28 PM
im lazy and impatien so i just use a staple gun for the carpet lol

Rza
11-19-2005, 11:55 PM
:up2somet: one other question: you say cut out holes after carpeting ok but how? and you see how some boxes have that lip that the woofer sits in which makes it flush with the top layer of the box do you actually need that or what?:up2somet:
what do you mean how? with a razor blade. run it along the side of the hole and you get a flush cut. and a double baffle is just for looks (flush mounting) you can either use it or not.

IamDeMan
11-20-2005, 08:25 AM
I dont want to read any "go buy a box" crap
Trust me, you won't hear that here ;)

Rattlebrain
11-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Trust me, you won't hear that here ;)
http://99smiles.com/word.gif
You can build a MUCH better box and a lot cheaper than buying one.
Something I did with the last box I built was coat the inside with rubberized undercoating. I think it made a diff. You can pick it up at most any parts store and just spray it on.

Tip: Make sure (as has been said) to make your cuts as square as possible. Counter sink your screws and use a good wood glue for assembly.

EddieB
11-22-2005, 06:56 AM
:up2somet: Thanks guys very much I appreciate the comments and tips greatly I think I will do well I'm good at things like this just never done one before thats all. See I work with steel sheet metal and solid stock I know what it means to measure twice and cut ounce. I went and got my materials from lowes two days ago and they cut your measurements for you there did you guys know that. They charge you twenty five cent for additional cuts after the second cut. I also baught a dremell which I'm reading is a great tool to cut your woofer holes never used one before but I'm an engineer I'll figure it out on some practice pieces!:up2somet: I'm gonna start putting it together as soon as I have time which will probably be this weekend and I'll get back to you guys to let you know how things went got a digital cam but havent figured out how to post on my at home computer any way where can I get that cream carpet from besides ordering it online? holla back peace and love!:up2somet:

Rattlebrain
11-22-2005, 07:08 AM
:up2somet: Thanks guys very much I appreciate the comments and tips greatly I think I will do well I'm good at things like this just never done one before thats all. See I work with steel sheet metal and solid stock I know what it means to measure twice and cut ounce. I went and got my materials from lowes two days ago and they cut your measurements for you there did you guys know that. They charge you twenty five cent for additional cuts after the second cut. I also baught a dremell which I'm reading is a great tool to cut your woofer holes never used one before but I'm an engineer I'll figure it out on some practice pieces!:up2somet: I'm gonna start putting it together as soon as I have time which will probably be this weekend and I'll get back to you guys to let you know how things went got a digital cam but havent figured out how to post on my at home computer any way where can I get that cream carpet from besides ordering it online? holla back peace and love!:up2somet:
Good luck to you and get them pics up so we can see progress when you can.

ramos
11-22-2005, 08:30 AM
Here's a big tip. Check out this site. Has an answer for every question you have asked and alot more :)

http://www.bcae1.com/

NeverEnuffBass
11-22-2005, 11:33 AM
no.

you sink the sides of the box in. so when you wrap the box, you cover up to the edge of the box, still leaving the sunk in part uncovered. then you cut a square and place it in the sunk in part.

x2, looks much more professional.

NhustlaR
11-22-2005, 04:17 PM

www.bcae1.com ?? ;)

edit, didnt read the 2nd page until after :)

406er
11-22-2005, 10:41 PM
x2, looks much more professional.

agread, i sink em in about 1/8". makes the box look pro every time, but i only do this for sealed or tube ported boxes. and also make **** sure the cuts are strate and square, and if any of the panles dosnt line up, cut some new ones, dont try to make it work. if something is to short it goes in the scrap wood pile for my builds. its rare that this happens but, no ones perfect