PDA

View Full Version : need some tweet reccomendations

flakko
11-17-2005, 11:53 PM
to go with those adire/ology woofers. i think the crossover will be covered... goin active. erm id prefer silks, or a not-harsh material.

i was reccomended so far:
CDT TW-24
some dyns (kinda spensive for me)
also maybe some dayton RS's

need more reccomendations plz, madisound stuff looks nice

edit: im replacing the rainbow soundline tweeter here, so a step up would be nice

Logikalliquid
11-18-2005, 12:26 AM
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=825228.10715&pid=850

I replaced my RE tweets with these. Definately an improvement IMO. They may be too bright for your taste, but for ~$30shipped I'd say test them out. They should take a 2khz xover if its a higher order.

bikejunkie223
11-18-2005, 12:30 AM
You could maybey get Dls Up1c tweeters from Tplaya07, though I am not sure if they are sold seperately. Funky grilles, but sound ******.http://www.dlsamerica.com/

flakko
11-18-2005, 12:33 AM
mmm those bball grill look funky hehe.

liquid, how do they sound compared to other tweets you heard?

bikejunkie223
11-18-2005, 12:50 AM
you can see them installed in my car here on the forum @ http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=125390 They look funky but sound awesome. They play down to around 4000hz with the stock crossovers, which is great for imaging- especially male vocals.

Logikalliquid
11-18-2005, 01:14 AM
Hmmm, I hate comparing these since its been a couple of months since I've heard anything beside these or the RE tweets. They reminded me of some CDTs I heard before, I don't remember which set, but they were bright without being ear-fatiguing.

ToyTundra
11-18-2005, 09:58 AM
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=825228.10715&pid=850

I replaced my RE tweets with these. Definately an improvement IMO. They may be too bright for your taste, but for ~$30shipped I'd say test them out. They should take a 2khz xover if its a higher order.

they are kinda bright, even after coming from an Infinity tweet, but you're right for <$30 shipped they are worth a try.

My plan is get some matching Dyn MD100's and break the bank

///M5
11-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Can you go with a large format tweeter? If so, do it!!!

flakko
11-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Can you go with a large format tweeter? If so, do it!!!

yes! i can ill just alter my kicks a little bit

any reccomendations?

///M5
11-18-2005, 01:12 PM
How about ribbons, the LCY's should work nicely with those

///M5
11-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Flakko, for you I will be more detailed. I love the low end extension from the large format tweeters if you can make them fit, here are some others you could look into. I haven't heard all of these, but I have a lot of respect for those that have so I will give you the list that I compiled before buying my Scanspeak knockoffs. These are in the order that I determined from lots of reading.
Seas Millenium ~$320/pr, LCY K130 Ribbons $290/pr, Usher 9950c ~$100/pr, Dayton RS28 ~$100/pr , Scan-Speak Revelator ~$420/pr, Morel Supremo 130 $380/pr

After saying that I then settled on a set of Scanspeak D2904 knockoffs labeled as Alpine for $130/pr. Only because I can't do full kicks with a 5 speed in my car and fit myself in it. I tried multiple times to figure out how to mount a full size tweet on my sail panels, but it just wasn't worth the work. The other small format tweeters that seem interesting to me are the LGP 25/26's and the Rainbow Plats. Easier to mount still pretty good low end extension (I plan to cross my tweets at about 2kHz, when my DX-28 lands later this week). Oh, and I prefer silk to almost all of the metals that I have heard too...

Speedyd718
11-18-2005, 02:16 PM
seas 27tdfc's

OlogyAudio
11-18-2005, 04:25 PM
seas 27tdfc's
I'd say tbfc over tdfc -- need all the efficiency you can squeeze to keep up with the mids :) -- but yea a ribbon would be best -- just remember you have no vertical dispersion with ribbons and need critical *CRITICAL* positioning to get a proper sound out of them. – If you do this though… :)

flakko
11-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Flakko, for you I will be more detailed. I love the low end extension from the large format tweeters if you can make them fit, here are some others you could look into. I haven't heard all of these, but I have a lot of respect for those that have so I will give you the list that I compiled before buying my Scanspeak knockoffs. These are in the order that I determined from lots of reading.
Seas Millenium ~$320/pr, LCY K130 Ribbons $290/pr, Usher 9950c ~$100/pr, Dayton RS28 ~$100/pr , Scan-Speak Revelator ~$420/pr, Morel Supremo 130 $380/pr

After saying that I then settled on a set of Scanspeak D2904 knockoffs labeled as Alpine for $130/pr. Only because I can't do full kicks with a 5 speed in my car and fit myself in it. I tried multiple times to figure out how to mount a full size tweet on my sail panels, but it just wasn't worth the work. The other small format tweeters that seem interesting to me are the LGP 25/26's and the Rainbow Plats. Easier to mount still pretty good low end extension (I plan to cross my tweets at about 2kHz, when my DX-28 lands later this week). Oh, and I prefer silk to almost all of the metals that I have heard too...

those are really really really expensive... but i was also reccomended the LPG's too. looks interesting. wat about those ushers? have a link for them?

Shinobi
11-18-2005, 06:01 PM
Max Fidelity MFDT3NEO for 55$ from www.meniscusaudio.com they are essentially the same thing as dynaudio.

DBfan187
11-18-2005, 06:20 PM
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=FR125S

GSteg
11-18-2005, 07:23 PM
LCY ribbon tweeters have excellent vertical dispersion. Shorter ribbon elements tends to have better vetical dispersion than tall ones. The Aurum Cantus G2Si had tall and skinny elements, but their vertical dispersion wasn't so bad. LCYs are almost as easy to position as most compact tweeters if they're in kickpanels :)

http://www.lcy.com.hk/diyhp/25114/enus/corpnews.html

:)

///M5
11-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Hey Flakko,

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=276-604

Fo of 660Hz so you can play her low (1500 should be no problem), plenty efficient if your putting an amp on 'em, you can ignore the 10w max as its for full signal, and its textile like you asked.

The problem with the LPG's to me is how high you have to cross them over, in a 3 way I would say differently otherwise I would probably have a set in my car right now.

flakko
11-18-2005, 08:48 PM
hmm decisions decisions...

hmm crazy chinese ribbons :) i would mos def get those they expensive tho lol i dont have enought money for that.

thanks for all your suggestions... when i searched max fi on google, i stumbled upon this:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9&highlight=max+fidelity

great read for anyone thats looking for a comparison of tweets.

instead of ///M5's Usher 9930, the reviewer tested the 9950's looks more capable and only 10 bucks more :)

also those max fidelitys look nice too....

dang so many decisions!

///M5
11-18-2005, 10:01 PM
Hey you even used the slashes! I only actually used those since I figured M5 would be gone everywhere, but thanks anyway. For the price you are looking it seems I would either go with the Ushers or the Daytons. I'd actually love to hear a side by side. Textile vs. "laid-back" metal. I have never been a metal tweeter fan, but very compelling. I'd trust NP's review as well.

flakko
11-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Hey you even used the slashes! I only actually used those since I figured M5 would be gone everywhere, but thanks anyway. For the price you are looking it seems I would either go with the Ushers or the Daytons. I'd actually love to hear a side by side. Textile vs. "laid-back" metal. I have never been a metal tweeter fan, but very compelling. I'd trust NP's review as well.

lol i like typing ///M5 it has a cool feeling to it. Hmmm looks like im going with the ushers, if i have enough room for mounting. if not, im gonna get the Max Fi's

anyone want to lend me a pair of daytons to review ;)

///M5
11-19-2005, 10:07 AM
I might be buying 1 for a center channel mtm to go with a setup with metal tweets.