PDA

View Full Version : Most "laid back" components - your vote?

Hoot
11-17-2005, 10:02 PM
What are the most "laid back" comps you have heard? By "laid back," I mean comps (a commercial set, not DIY) that de-emphasize the high end and emphasize the midrange. Maybe those interested could toss out there ideas on both various 2-way and 3-way sets. Thanks.

Eugenics
11-17-2005, 10:13 PM
do you mean warm?

azbass
11-17-2005, 10:42 PM
a morel set. and a scan speak set.

cdj
11-17-2005, 11:15 PM
x2 on Morels

Hoot
11-17-2005, 11:17 PM
do you mean warm?Sure, you can call them "warm," if you like, if you feel you need to. Not bright, laid back... as I said, mid-range emphasized over the tweeter. Thanks, again, for any thoughts on the subject.

req
11-17-2005, 11:25 PM
dynaudio?

personally, a set of image dynamics cd1-e with the crossover and the mid. but you will still need some EQ to get them to sound their best. horns are some of the most laid back "tweeters" ive ever heard. you can push the volume all the way up, and only at the highest levels will your ear start to fatigue to the point where you cant listen.

PatFitz9
11-17-2005, 11:25 PM
i have never heard speakers called "laid back" sounds like you are looking for speakers that are easy to get along with, go with the flow kinda speakers? :P

bri487
11-17-2005, 11:32 PM
i had the dynaudio system 250gt in my cobra and it sounded great. but that was with a lot of power and good processing. also a very warm and smooth sounding speaker is the boston pro component set.

netherland24
11-17-2005, 11:35 PM
i have to say my MB quart QSD216

Hoot
11-17-2005, 11:36 PM
i have never heard speakers called "laid back" sounds like you are looking for speakers that are easy to get along with, go with the flow kinda speakers? :P"Laid back" vs. "In your face," Joker.

bri487
11-17-2005, 11:37 PM
the zapco refernce components come to mind as well.

Hoot
11-17-2005, 11:42 PM
Interesting, I have always thought of the Bostons and Quarts, both, as bright, generally.

req
11-17-2005, 11:49 PM
i have never heard speakers called "laid back" sounds like you are looking for speakers that are easy to get along with, go with the flow kinda speakers? :P

well then you have not heard much.

the term "laid back" means, not fatiguing to the ear, other wise the opposite of a "bright" or "harsh" high end. he wants more of a "mellow" or "under epmhasized" high end, and a midrange\midbass with more authority. the only probem with crossing over your mids higher, is they get more directional as the frequencies increas, and your soundstage is pulled down, and your imaging pulls to the speakers. thats why horns are so incredible. you only have to worry about 80~1.2khz being directional and low :)

bikejunkie223
11-18-2005, 12:00 AM
Dls speakers are very much like what you describe. I LOVE my Up6's, and think they are nearly as good as Dynaudio's that cost twice as much. I currently have a Dls Iridium sub, and it is freeking amazing, I have to think Iridium Comps would also kick ***. I also like that Dls comps don't have humungoloid magnets, which makes fitment much easier. The silk dome tweeters play quite low (in the niegborhood of 4k) which really helps lift vocals, especially male vocals up where they belong. Mellow and smooth are the 2 best words to describe them IMO. I would buy UP6's again in a heartbeat. Horns can sound good, but my experience is that they are VERY difficult to do right, and very good at showing you ANY holes in your system. Equalization is a requirement....and a lot of it with horns.

req
11-18-2005, 02:00 AM
Horns can sound good, but my experience is that they are VERY difficult to do right, and very good at showing you ANY holes in your system. Equalization is a requirement....and a lot of it with horns.

this is, aside from fitment, the only downside to horns that i can see. they may be the same price (around) than a new set of DLS or Dynaudio top of the line comps, but the equalization and crossover networks make them hard, aside from the fact that they need dedicated mids and a hell of a fitment. so they do end up being quite a chunk of change.

but they play WAY down below 3khz, and the soundstage is raised so high its like your speakers are pointing at you from your windshield.

if i did go with a complete component setup, i would strongly look into the DLS 6.3 and the Dynaudio 360 3 way setups.

audiolife
11-18-2005, 04:47 AM
any cdt speaker i ever heard lol laid back isnt what i look for. laid back to me might not be harsh but it isnt dynamic. as far as horns go req i think you are the first person i ever heard say that lol. laid back= old folks speakers lol

ighettoboyi
11-18-2005, 11:17 AM
^^ pretty much... cdt is starting to get a little too laid back for me. i like em still though cuz i can crank them and they still get loud and clear just not painful in the least bit like most mainstream brands

KingDiamond
11-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Image Dynamics CSX-6x will sound laid back with a lot of midrange if you set their crossover to -6db, but they can be very bright at 0db attenuation. They are great speakers IMO.

thefunkybunch
11-20-2005, 07:56 PM
price range? the boston Z6's are a very warm, natural sounding speaker. not fatiguing at all, regardless of the volume. gobs and gobs of midbass, and midrange, and the highs are crisp and articulate, but not like lazerbeams. personally, i'm not a fan of the pro's because they do tend to be quite a bit more harsh, too much tweet for me personally, but the Z's are much, much smoother. downsides are they need a lot of power, and they're kinda pricey. i couldn't justify the price before owning them, but once i (finally) got them set up right and tuned right, i couldn't be happier.

eclipse also makes some more reasonably priced speakers that won't rip your head off, but sound very nice.

honestly though, it's more in the installation that will determine the final result than the speaker itself. everyone's got their own opinions, but a killer installation will either make or break even the best of speakers.

Ignatowski
11-20-2005, 07:57 PM
funny,my AURA's are way way warmer than my HEX's
I am really liking the warmer sound and now I have to figure out a way to warm up my hexs if thats possible or out they go............

audiolife
11-20-2005, 08:09 PM
funny,my AURA's are way way warmer than my HEX's
I am really liking the warmer sound and now I have to figure out a way to warm up my hexs if thats possible or out they go............
~~in a gollum voice~~no way!!!!! lmao JK thats why i despise diamonds i hates the tweeter.

Ignatowski
11-20-2005, 08:25 PM
~~in a gollum voice~~no way!!!!! lmao JK thats why i despise diamonds i hates the tweeter.
actually I use an LPG tweet,highly rated and better than what they came with
however still not warm and toasty

req
11-20-2005, 08:36 PM
any cdt speaker i ever heard lol laid back isnt what i look for. laid back to me might not be harsh but it isnt dynamic. as far as horns go req i think you are the first person i ever heard say that lol. laid back= old folks speakers lol

i guess im trying to describe it different than what you interpret my description is.

they arent harsh at all, but they can play all those notes with extreme authority and zero distortion at super loud volumes, but it does not "hurt" your ears as you listen at these high volumes, but you sure as hell should get a headache when you are done :naughty:

i guess laid back isnt the description i intended you to understand :)

i dont know how to explain it then :)

Hoot
11-20-2005, 10:04 PM
Well, I have finally had the time to really tune the 200z x-overs that I am running with my Eurosports - man, the combo of attenuation and taper on those things requires both patience and a little discipline. They don't work like one would think they do (attenuate and taper all the way on each crossover and it hardly means less high and midrange) > it is all about finding the right blend. Finally... I FOUND IT! The speakers are amazing; that said, however, they still need a bit of PEQ attention and I could stand a little less output from the tweeters.

Will the addition of the Upstage kit tame them? Rolling off the output on the braxials' tweeters, and using the LP-1 on the image tweeters, I am hoping maybe the blend will be even better. The detail on these speakers is phenomenal.

corto
11-20-2005, 10:50 PM
^^ pretty much... cdt is starting to get a little too laid back for me. i like em still though cuz i can crank them and they still get loud and clear just not painful in the least bit like most mainstream brands

Do you mean different 6x9's can hurt your ear? If so i think im having that problem with mine. Latley since the season changed or something my ears have been like crackling allmost and it sounds like a distorted speaker = my ear on how it sonunds when i hear loud high pich sounds from my speakers. I have been in peoples cars with other speakers and have not had the pressure thats on the ears of mine iin my car and there car is alot louder than mind. Could this be because of a crappy speakers?

Lil Poot
11-21-2005, 07:29 AM
wow, i can't believe noone mentioned rainbow.

Ignatowski
11-21-2005, 08:26 AM
Image Dynamics CSX-6x will sound laid back with a lot of midrange if you set their crossover to -6db, but they can be very bright at 0db attenuation. They are great speakers IMO.

I am looking into these are a replacment for my HEX's
I hear they are overthetop

OnYrMrk
11-21-2005, 12:18 PM
generally just about any component set with a soft dome tweeter will sound warmer than one that uses a titanium, aluminum, or beryllium for tweeter.

my personal favorite, the Genesis comps that utilize the ScanSpeak D1 tweeter. Incredible sound!

FoxPro5
11-21-2005, 11:30 PM
price range? the boston Z6's are a very warm, natural sounding speaker. not fatiguing at all, regardless of the volume. gobs and gobs of midbass, and midrange, and the highs are crisp and articulate, but not like lazerbeams. personally, i'm not a fan of the pro's because they do tend to be quite a bit more harsh, too much tweet for me personally, but the Z's are much, much smoother. downsides are they need a lot of power, and they're kinda pricey. i couldn't justify the price before owning them, but once i (finally) got them set up right and tuned right, i couldn't be happier.

eclipse also makes some more reasonably priced speakers that won't rip your head off, but sound very nice.

honestly though, it's more in the installation that will determine the final result than the speaker itself. everyone's got their own opinions, but a killer installation will either make or break even the best of speakers.

Totally agree about the Boston Z's...these babies will not dissapoint...not sure about the price tag however. In pure technical terms, I think Dyn's are the most accurate speaker on the market, but becuase of this, they need a lot of help by a great amp and a pure signal from a good source (think Eclipse);)

thefunkybunch
11-22-2005, 09:21 PM
the dyns are extremely impressive. i did a set of 7" components a while back, and couldn't believe the low end on those things. a great sounding speaker, but definitely want some good power. 3" voice coil on a component set is no joke!

but for what i paid for my z's, i'm 100% positive there isn't anything on the market that can touch them ;)

Hoot
11-22-2005, 11:38 PM
the dyns are extremely impressive. i did a set of 7" components a while back, and couldn't believe the low end on those things. a great sounding speaker, but definitely want some good power. 3" voice coil on a component set is no joke!

but for what i paid for my z's, i'm 100% positive there isn't anything on the market that can touch them ;)I can't figure out which speaker you like better. And why do you like your Z's? Is it because of their value or because you enjoy them better than the Dynaudios?

thefunkybunch
11-23-2005, 10:08 PM
i love my z's. the detail and accuracy they provide is extremely impressive. not to mention the midbass response is exceptional... at times a bit too much, which i really can't complain about i guess! they like to **** up some power, but i assumed that much from the start ;) it took me a couple months of tweaking eq settings, time correction, and whatnot to get the soundstage where i wanted it, and get them to sound the way i want, but i am very very happy with where i'm at with them.

if both the dyn's and the z's were the same price, and both at my fingertips it would be a very tough call between the 2. either way, you really can't go wrong. granted, it took boston a few weeks to send me my speakers, and i was very eagerly anticipating their arrival, but compared to the SL 60's i had prior to them, it was WELL worth the wait. the dyn's were very impressive as well. i really wouldn't mind having a set of those either, or i've heard the focal utopia's are a great sounding speaker also. however i like to keep stuff in my car that the shop sells if nothing else, to be able to demo it and step some people up into a wicked component set :) i've had the jl xr's, vr's, cdt hd's, eclipse point source, and a few other comp sets, but i like the z's best of all them.

FoxPro5
11-23-2005, 10:08 PM
I can't figure out which speaker you like better. And why do you like your Z's? Is it because of their value or because you enjoy them better than the Dynaudios?

Great question...I'd like your feedback on the contrast between them too..

FoxPro5
11-23-2005, 10:10 PM
i love my z's. the detail and accuracy they provide is extremely impressive. not to mention the midbass response is exceptional... at times a bit too much, which i really can't complain about i guess! they like to **** up some power, but i assumed that much from the start ;) it took me a couple months of tweaking eq settings, time correction, and whatnot to get the soundstage where i wanted it, and get them to sound the way i want, but i am very very happy with where i'm at with them.

if both the dyn's and the z's were the same price, and both at my fingertips it would be a very tough call between the 2. either way, you really can't go wrong. granted, it took boston a few weeks to send me my speakers, and i was very eagerly anticipating their arrival, but compared to the SL 60's i had prior to them, it was WELL worth the wait. the dyn's were very impressive as well. i really wouldn't mind having a set of those either, or i've heard the focal utopia's are a great sounding speaker also. however i like to keep stuff in my car that the shop sells if nothing else, to be able to demo it and step some people up into a wicked component set :) i've had the jl xr's, vr's, cdt hd's, eclipse point source, and a few other comp sets, but i like the z's best of all them.

How much power do you have on the Z's??

thefunkybunch
11-24-2005, 08:58 PM
i have a boston GT22 on the mids, and a GT20 on the tweets. does the job nicely :) i'm not totally sure exactly how much power they're getting because i know these amps are conservatively rated, but it seems to be enough :)