PDA

View Full Version : My first Fiberglass attempt....

Omarvelous
11-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Remember i was a virgin guys. This was my first attempt.

If you recall, this was sort of what i was aiming for...

http://www.omarvelous.com/media/CarAudio/TahoeBoxSketch.gif

And this so far is what i got, AND wanted! :yumyum:

http://www.omarvelous.com/media/CarAudio/HPIM0002_25.jpg
http://www.omarvelous.com/media/CarAudio/HPIM0003_25.jpg
http://www.omarvelous.com/media/CarAudio/HPIM0004_25.jpg
http://www.omarvelous.com/media/CarAudio/HPIM0005_25.jpg
http://www.omarvelous.com/media/CarAudio/HPIM0006_25.jpg
http://www.omarvelous.com/media/CarAudio/HPIM0007_25.jpg
http://www.omarvelous.com/media/CarAudio/HPIM0008_25.jpg

I think it's good so far! :naughty:

Just waiting for the glass so i can start glassing the inside.

Then i'll be able to finish the port and the front with fleece, resin that, then glass that.

Then i can glass the bottom.

Fill, Sand, Fill Sand, Sand.

Then i'll be done, hopefully before next sunday.

Omarvelous
11-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Not ONLY is it a sub box, IT'S also a SEAT!!

It's raining like crazy tonight, i'll try get some of it in the truck. REAL snug fit, almost perfect, if not.

baseballer1100
11-16-2005, 08:33 PM
looks nice is it that hard to do?

nVRuckus
11-16-2005, 08:37 PM
lol for some reason your fleece looks like playdoh to me. a sub box for gumby :D

pwnt by pat
11-16-2005, 08:38 PM
What is this for? car

Omarvelous
11-16-2005, 08:38 PM
looks nice is it that hard to do?

mmm....well it's not as hard as it would have been. Took lotsa planning and reading. But all it was make a template out of cardboard. Cut the 2 sides. Piece them together with bracing. Lay the fleece down. Resin that.

It's a pain trying to get the fleece to conform, atleast without relief cuts. I tried and eventually gave in on trying to get it perfect, and cut it up.

But it's ok.

Omarvelous
11-16-2005, 08:39 PM
What is this for? car

Tahoe. Will fit in the middle of the 2nd row captain seats.

baseballer1100
11-16-2005, 08:40 PM
did u use fiberglass matte and where did u get the fleece from?

Omarvelous
11-16-2005, 08:41 PM
did u use fiberglass matte and where did u get the fleece from?

That's just Fleece and Resin. Got it from a local Fabric store. About 7$ a yard.

I bought Biaxial Fiberglass Cloth 17oz to do the glassing, will get that next week.

baseballer1100
11-16-2005, 08:51 PM
oo So to make it look glassy you need the fiberglass cloth?

Omarvelous
11-16-2005, 08:53 PM
oo So to make it look glassy you need the fiberglass cloth?

No to GLASS it u need the fiberglass cloth/matt.

U have to Fill and Paint it to get the glossy automotive look.

It looks glossy now because of the resin.

kotec123
11-16-2005, 08:54 PM
that looks amazing imo......keep it goin...post **** when ur done

baseballer1100
11-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Alright sorry i was so confused

THUNDERBIRD
11-16-2005, 10:27 PM
looking good so far. are you going to paint it or wrap?

Omarvelous
11-16-2005, 10:47 PM
looking good so far. are you going to paint it or wrap?

Paint. But it will just be primed for a while. I'd like to get a automotive finish glossy black

MetalMaxima
11-16-2005, 10:56 PM
Paint. But it will just be primed for a while. I'd like to get a automotive finish glossy black

Wow. Good luck with painting on your first fg job. Took me two weeks to get it to be paintable. You can do it, but don't get frustrated - it's quite tough.

Omarvelous
11-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Wow. Good luck with painting on your first fg job. Took me two weeks to get it to be paintable. You can do it, but don't get frustrated - it's quite tough.

yea i bet! Thx for the tip.

i think i'm actually gonna outsource the painting part! lol.

ramos
11-17-2005, 09:03 AM
Looking good brother man. Just a couple of things. You should have put the all the mdf panels in first. I guess there will be an mdf panel where the gap in the fleece is ? And you should have used some kind of bracing to keep the fleece from forming a trough in the middle of the box when you stretched like it did. You gonna look like popeye by the time your done with all the sanding :D :)

ramos
11-17-2005, 09:05 AM
yea i bet! Thx for the tip.

i think i'm actually gonna outsource the painting part! lol.

I think he was refering to the prep work needed to get it too the painting stage. It has to be absolutely baby butt smooth. Any tiny little imperfection will show. Did you say your painting it black ?? If so it's really got to be smooth. Black is the worst for showing mistakes of any kind. :)

Omarvelous
11-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Looking good brother man. Just a couple of things. You should have put the all the mdf panels in first. I guess there will be an mdf panel where the gap in the fleece is ? And you should have used some kind of bracing to keep the fleece from forming a trough in the middle of the box when you stretched like it did. You gonna look like popeye by the time your done with all the sanding :D :)

Yea at first i didn't like the little trough, but i kinda like it now. I might level it out with some kitty hair/Bondo if i decide by then.

Actually i'm gonna fleece that gap. I left it open because i have to do the port. And because it was that area on the bottom with the sub ring that gave me the MOST problem fleecing while trying to get the least amount of wrinkles in. I would have like to have gotten it higher up toward the top, but i'll do that after the port, it'll work out.

I think he was refering to the prep work needed to get it too the painting stage. It has to be absolutely baby butt smooth. Any tiny little imperfection will show. Did you say your painting it black ?? If so it's really got to be smooth. Black is the worst for showing mistakes of any kind.

Yea i knew he was talkin about the prep. Which is why i won't even attempt the painting. I'd hate to see me mess up allllll that prep work.

It'll be a while before i do any hardcore prep work, since winter is coming.

Questions: How long can i leave bondo on before it is unsandable? Does it ever get unsandable? Like is there a set time to where i put on the bondo to where i have to sand it off?

ramos
11-17-2005, 11:04 AM
it doesn't get unsandable. It's just alot easier to knock down the ridges as soon as it starts to turn rubbery with a body file or rough sand paper. :)

60ndown
11-17-2005, 11:15 AM
sandpaper comes in different 'grades' dont phuck around with sandpaper that is not coarse enough, buy some 40 grit and some 60.fibreglass is EASY to make sweet and smoth IF you have COARSE sandpaper, if you dont use coarse sandpaper it cold take anyone hours/days to make fibreglass smooth.coarse 40 and 60 grit! that box is gonna be very nice.:naughty: oh and phuck porting it, seal her up.

60ndown
11-17-2005, 11:18 AM
once you have sanded it well with coarse sandpaper you can apply bondo to the box to make her smooth, bondo is way easier to sand than fibreglass.

///M5
11-17-2005, 11:21 AM
it doesn't get unsandable. It's just alot easier to knock down the ridges as soon as it starts to turn rubbery with a body file or rough sand paper. :)
Definetely, if you wait too long you will need to use something more than hand sanding or you will go nuts. The stuff gets hard. If you let it harden I recommend the little drum sanding attachment on a dremel--only to knock down the ridges though otherwise you will make more valleys to fill. It is best/easiest to sand as soon as it gets hard enough to not "gum" up your sandpaper. Try it in various stages and you will get the feel quickly--it is when less profanities fly!

ramos
11-17-2005, 11:27 AM
sandpaper comes in different 'grades' dont phuck around with sandpaper that is not coarse enough, buy some 40 grit and some 60.fibreglass is EASY to make sweet and smoth IF you have COARSE sandpaper, if you dont use coarse sandpaper it cold take anyone hours/days to make fibreglass smooth.coarse 40 and 60 grit! that box is gonna be very nice.:naughty: oh and phuck porting it, seal her up.

I wouldn't bother sanding the glass itself. Take a grinder to remove any rough spots in the glass. Save the paper for the filler. :)

Omarvelous
11-17-2005, 11:28 AM

Thx man. But it HAS to be ported! I can have it nooooo other way!

Eugenics
11-17-2005, 11:29 AM
woah, when i saw the plans and whatnot i never actually thought you were gonna do it. good job and good luck

ramos
11-17-2005, 11:29 AM
once you have sanded it well with coarse sandpaper you can apply bondo to the box to make her smooth, bondo is way easier to sand than fibreglass.

You don't need to "sand" the glass smooth. You just need to grind out any big imperfections to make the body filler application smoother. You don't want heavy thick layers of filler. As you run the risk of it shrinking and cracking with the thicker layers . :)

Omarvelous
11-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Allll good tips guys! Keep em coming!!

One thing i'm having doubt about.

I resined the top, and plan to glass the bottom.... u think i might need just like 1 layer on top?

Right now it is reallll brittle, as u guys very wel know it would be. I'm just wondering if u guys think i should go ahead n add a layer or 2 on top to strengthen the top of it. It does have a possibility of being sat on. Maybe 140ibs the most, females i'd let only.

Omarvelous
11-17-2005, 11:34 AM
woah, when i saw the plans and whatnot i never actually thought you were gonna do it. good job and good luck

lol! Yea, i might throw a lot of off the wall **** out there (like the time with the columns and chicken wire) but it's stuff that 99% i'd ACTUALLY do!

The chicken wire didn't work out, i bought some, was WAY to rigid, and just not a good scene, lol. That was fun!

But yea i don't talk *****, i walk it! :cool:

Thx man, wait till u see it in about a week!!! ;)

ramos
11-17-2005, 11:34 AM
Inside or outside really doesn't matter. What matters is that the layer of glass you apply are to directly reinforce the fleece. i.e. the glass is layered upon the fleece. Did that make any sense :)

Omarvelous
11-17-2005, 11:50 AM
Inside or outside really doesn't matter. What matters is that the layer of glass you apply are to directly reinforce the fleece. i.e. the glass is layered upon the fleece. Did that make any sense :)

Yea i'm just thinking if i glass the inside, althought the outside is resined, will that ever crack....? Could be a problem after it's painted. I'd hae for the top outer shell to chip.

I guess it's because i don't know how stong the fiberglass is yet, so i'm having some doubts.

i'll test it out.

///M5
11-17-2005, 11:51 AM
Anglegrinders rip through the "excess" glass real fast, just wear your mask though as the chit is toxic

ramos
11-17-2005, 12:08 PM
Yea i'm just thinking if i glass the inside, althought the outside is resined, will that ever crack....? Could be a problem after it's painted. I'd hae for the top outer shell to chip.

I guess it's because i don't know how stong the fiberglass is yet, so i'm having some doubts.

i'll test it out.

The resin on the outside of the fleece will never see the light of day. Once you put the filler on it. ;) Once you start adding layers of mat. You will feel that brittleness turn to a rock hard chunk of fglass. Just add some layers and you will see what I mean :)

ramos
11-17-2005, 12:09 PM
Anglegrinders rip through the "excess" glass real fast, just wear your mask though as the chit is toxic

yep, a dremel with a reinforced cutt off wheel does a rather nice job trimming too. :)

Omarvelous
11-17-2005, 12:17 PM
The resin on the outside of the fleece will never see the light of day. Once you put the filler on it. ;) Once you start adding layers of mat. You will feel that brittleness turn to a rock hard chunk of fglass. Just add some layers and you will see what I mean :)

Got ya, forgot the bondo is pretty rigid too. Ok this shouldn't be too hard then.

skeptikal
11-17-2005, 12:50 PM
yeh man just keep at it. fiberglass is a lot of work dont let anyone fool you. you are gonna need alot of layers too :P

ramos
11-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Got ya, forgot the bondo is pretty rigid too. Ok this shouldn't be too hard then.
Nope not the bondo, the layers of mat your going to apply are going to add the rigidity that you crave :)

Omarvelous
11-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Nope not the bondo, the layers of mat your going to apply are going to add the rigidity that you crave :)

I meant as far as the top resin cracking or chipping.

Man this is gonna be too sexay!

saywhat?
11-17-2005, 05:59 PM
I think he was refering to the prep work needed to get it too the painting stage. It has to be absolutely baby butt smooth. Any tiny little imperfection will show. Did you say your painting it black ?? If so it's really got to be smooth. Black is the worst for showing mistakes of any kind. :)

you must have never sprayed silver lmao. black is second to silver. silver shows EVVVVEERRRYYYTTTHHHIIIINNNNGGGGGG

bjfish11
11-17-2005, 11:45 PM
you must have never sprayed silver lmao. black is second to silver. silver shows EVVVVEERRRYYYTTTHHHIIIINNNNGGGGGG
id have to disagree, i just did a box in silver and it didnt show near what black does. And as far as the fibgerglass cracking that was discussed earlier, trust me, the bondo will crack FAR before the fiberglass will.

Omarvelous
11-17-2005, 11:50 PM
id have to disagree, i just did a box in silver and it didnt show near what black does. And as far as the fibgerglass cracking that was discussed earlier, trust me, the bondo will crack FAR before the fiberglass will.

it wasn't so much the fiberglass cracking. I was more worried about the resined top cracking.

These are the order of the layers.

top to bottom
Paint - Top most
Bondo
Resin - First resing layed on fleece
Fleece
Glass

Althought the lower glass gives the foundation, was worried about the resin between the bondo n fleece still cracking/chipping

ramos
11-18-2005, 09:28 AM
it wasn't so much the fiberglass cracking. I was more worried about the resined top cracking.

These are the order of the layers.

top to bottom
Paint - Top most
Bondo
Resin - First resing layed on fleece
Fleece
Glass

Althought the lower glass gives the foundation, was worried about the resin between the bondo n fleece still cracking/chipping

Hence the term lamination ;) By laminating ( laying layer upon layer) you are strengthening the panel as one unit comprised of multiple layers. Try this with some scrap. Stretch a piece of fleece over a scrap of mdf, then saturate it well. Then add a couple of layers of mat. Don't cheat, apply the mat right working out all the air bubbles. Then let it dry completely. Now try to get everything off of the mdf. You will probably eventually be able to pull the fleece/glass off the mdf. But I bet you can't seperate the layers of fleece and mat. When you get done trying :naughty: Cut a cross section of the fleece/ glass and look at it. IF you properly applied the mat to the fleece. Only the color variations between the fleece and the mat and resin will show too indicate the layers, no physical seperation :)

bjfish11
11-18-2005, 09:46 AM
exactly as stated by ramos, i think. That resin applied will soak into the fleece. Trust me, the bondo will crack before any resin/fiberglass will. Thats why you need to keep your bondo on very thin, if its too thick, it will crack fairly easily.

Omarvelous
11-18-2005, 09:49 AM
alright guys, i trust ya!