PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions needed, inquire within.

Omarvelous
11-16-2005, 01:35 PM
So....

I originally planned on making a fiberglass slot port in my box.

Like so!

http://www.omarvelous.com/media/general/TahoeFGBoxv2porteda1s.jpg

But have been thinking, it would be easier to use a round flared port.
It wouls allow me to complete fleecing with having to wait to glass the top part, then resin the slot port fleece, wait, glass that, then finish the rest of the face.

I'm gonna go buy a cam tonight n get ya some pics to help, but what ya think for now?

It kinda takes away from the cleanlyess, but it could look nice.

What would U do?

ramos
11-16-2005, 01:40 PM
You don't want my answer ;) But your idea will work if you make a mounting flange for the pvc. Then round it over just like any other port. :)

LoudCrownVic
11-16-2005, 01:47 PM
You don't want my answer ;) But your idea will work if you make a mounting flange for the pvc. Then round it over just like any other port. :)

Yah, port noise=teh suxorz.

And, if you have rounded edges the air transitions more freely.

Omarvelous
11-16-2005, 02:53 PM

I do want u honest input.

So u say go with the round port? It would be a flared one would i still have to round the flange?

Omarvelous
11-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Yah, port noise=teh suxorz.

And, if you have rounded edges the air transitions more freely.

The fiberglass slot port would have had some nice round edges to it.

So u say the round port might cause port noise? Do the slot?

ramos
11-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Either way you want. personally I think the slot port fits the design better. Point is which ever you do be sure to round over the edges. The reason I say use a mdf mounting flange for the round is appearance more than anything. It just looks cleaner with the nice rounded over edge, as opposed to piece of pvc stuck in there by itself. In essence you will be making one end of the port flared by doing this. Just remember to add in any length added by the flange :)

Omarvelous
11-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Either way you want. personally I think the slot port fits the design better. Point is which ever you do be sure to round over the edges. The reason I say use a mdf mounting flange for the round is appearance more than anything. It just looks cleaner with the nice rounded over edge, as opposed to piece of pvc stuck in there by itself. In essence you will be making one end of the port flared by doing this. Just remember to add in any length added by the flange :)

oooo ok, i see what ur saying now. and MDF sort of baffle for the port! Thought u meant the Port itself.

THAT's one of the aspects i want to avoid, the routing, as i have no router now.

And the slot DOES fit better with the design.

Pics tonight!

ramos
11-16-2005, 03:21 PM
Allright so put a router, circle jig, and some assorted router bits on your christmas list. :D Once you get these items you will wonder how survived without them for so long :)

Omarvelous
11-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Allright so put a router, circle jig, and some assorted router bits on your christmas list. :D Once you get these items you will wonder how survived without them for so long :)

I think it'll be AFTER i learn how to use them PROPERLY i'll be shocked!:D

But it's just because i'm in my last year of college, so don't have a place for em, but BELIEVE me i will def need some power tools for when i REALLy start uilding boxes.:up2somet:

ramos
11-17-2005, 07:48 AM
When you do go th router stage, I would go with a plunge version. More versatility than a regular router with all the same functions. And purchase a circle jig to go along with it. It will more than pay for itself in the end. :)