PDA

View Full Version : Wrinkles.....not the ones on the old lady

Omarvelous
11-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Ok....

In the process of building my first FG box.

I ran a search already, but they were more geard to stretching, pre resin solutions.

Lets say the resin is already down on the fleece, what's the best way to get rid of/fix the wrinkles due to my lack of stretching skills?

Should i buildup with Glass? Bondo? Duraglas? Or combination?

XtrmAudioCncpts
11-15-2005, 11:17 AM
get rid of the wrinkles after you glass it with bondo

Omarvelous
11-15-2005, 11:31 AM
get rid of the wrinkles after you glass it with bondo

Heres the thing

I resined the outside of the fleece/box
I'm glassing the inside of the box

The wrinkles are at most about 1/2" deep.

is bondo alone good enough? that's a lot of bondo. Is that good enough though, or should i glass some of the outside?

XtrmAudioCncpts
11-15-2005, 11:34 AM
you could use kitty hair or a any kind of stranded fiberglass filler

ramos
11-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Yep should stretched real good before hand. I know too late now :D I would use reinforced filler for dips that deep. :)

iceteebone
11-15-2005, 12:03 PM
i ran into the same problem so i gave up on fiberglass. you should take a look at my door pods :uhoh: as long as they sound good that's all that matters to me.

Omarvelous
11-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Yep should stretched real good before hand. I know too late now :D I would use reinforced filler for dips that deep. :)

Aww man did i try!! I even did some relief cuts and angle stretches and so on, it's tuff!

BUT i only had a glue gun to work with. I know if i had a air stapler life would have been easier!

But it's coming along nicely. Ggonna try get some pics for u guys.

I might end up wit some gaps that i'll fill with biaxial.

I give u guys respect, this stuff is tuff!

ramos
11-15-2005, 12:14 PM
nah, the actual glassing itself is easy. Getting to the point where you can start glassing is where all the works at . :)

Omarvelous
11-15-2005, 12:17 PM
nah, the actual glassing itself is easy. Getting to the point where you can start glassing is where all the works at . :)

lol, yea i'm still TRYING to get to the "point where i can start glassing"

u think 3yds x 50" biaxial cloth will do?

nVRuckus
11-15-2005, 12:19 PM
I would sand it down some with a power sander, then build it back up with glass, then bondo milkshake to smooth out.

NhustlaR
11-15-2005, 12:33 PM
you could use kitty hair or a any kind of stranded fiberglass filler

FOR TEH WIN.

ramos
11-15-2005, 12:40 PM
lol, yea i'm still TRYING to get to the "point where i can start glassing"

u think 3yds x 50" biaxial cloth will do?

Without seeing your box first hand I couldn't really say. What weight of biaxial ? :)

Omarvelous
11-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Without seeing your box first hand I couldn't really say. What weight of biaxial ? :)

17oz, i'll try get some pics.

i ordered Duratec from US Composites yesturday, so it will get good use! (Same as kitty hair)

ramos
11-15-2005, 01:39 PM
You will probably need three layers. :)

NhustlaR
11-15-2005, 03:52 PM
17oz, i'll try get some pics.

i ordered Duratec from US Composites yesturday, so it will get good use! (Same as kitty hair)

isnt duratec heavy sandable primer? got myself a gallon of that a couple weeks ago ;) still gotta finish my pannels

Omarvelous
11-15-2005, 04:03 PM
isnt duratec heavy sandable primer? got myself a gallon of that a couple weeks ago ;) still gotta finish my pannels

Your right, i meant Duraglas!!

?I got the Feather rite primer! Hoping it'll help with the sandability!

ramos
11-15-2005, 04:32 PM
You guys must be using to much hardner or something. I still use plain jane bondo with no problems what so ever. Sands nice and easy for me :)

Omarvelous
11-15-2005, 05:07 PM
You guys must be using to much hardner or something. I still use plain jane bondo with no problems what so ever. Sands nice and easy for me :)

I decided to go with the feater-lite because the bondo over here is 2$ more, so since i was already ordering from US ad had to wait for the glass before i could even primer, just got it.

But i've used condo before, n man that stuff hardened on me in like 5 mins! lol. I ofcourse did something wrong, so that's the other reason why i was willing to try another alternative.