PDA

View Full Version : Resin needed on BOTH sides of fleece?

Omarvelous
11-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Ok.... First off

u seen the box ...

http://www.omarvelous.com/media/general/TahoeFGBoxv2porteda1s.jpg

I've decided to do the whole middle in fiberglass.

Got the MDF structure down.... no camera guys sorry!

I wanted to first build a fiberglass slotted port, but need to know a few things....

Already got the top middle fleeced.

QUESTION!
When Resining fleece, do i need to resing BOTH sides? Would it soak through therefore not needing to be resined on both?, or what?

Need to know ASAP, would like to start some resing tonight!

Thx guys!

mikescanlon
11-13-2005, 05:08 PM
just one side, drench it good, take your time, and make small batches, good luck

NhustlaR
11-13-2005, 05:08 PM
it will soak through. If you want it strong, however, you should matt both inside and outside. so no, you do not need to resin both sides. You should be able to tell when the resin is soaked in. The fleece will turn pretty dark and you can definitly tell when it is totally soaked through. Just remember to use matting.

Omarvelous
11-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Aww man, that's why i love you guys! :inlove:

running to home depot now...

mikescanlon
11-13-2005, 05:25 PM
go to a marine store it's cheaper there.

Omarvelous
11-13-2005, 06:02 PM
go to a marine store it's cheaper there.

Closest one is about 30miles. I would have, but with a Truck, the gas + time won't add up enough to justify it.

mikescanlon
11-13-2005, 06:05 PM
sometimes it does, boatyard resin is around 15/gallon, you'll need ~2 gallosn for that project plus enough matt to do it all, maybe it would, but if you got the cash, homedepot rocks the house.

ramos
11-14-2005, 09:05 AM
it will soak through. If you want it strong, however, you should matt both inside and outside. so no, you do not need to resin both sides. You should be able to tell when the resin is soaked in. The fleece will turn pretty dark and you can definitly tell when it is totally soaked through. Just remember to use matting.

If you leave the back off and do the curve first i.e. so you have access to the inside of the enclosure. I would just mat the inside leaving the fleece on the outside. It will make it so much easier when it come time for filler. You can also get better adhesion between the glass and mdf this way. :)

Omarvelous
11-14-2005, 10:11 AM
If you leave the back off and do the curve first i.e. so you have access to the inside of the enclosure. I would just mat the inside leaving the fleece on the outside. It will make it so much easier when it come time for filler. You can also get better adhesion between the glass and mdf this way. :)

Well i'll tell ya what i did, and what i plan to do.

I started with the top and back. Fleeced the whole curve first, ON the outside.

I will then go on the inside and glass that. (Would sanding filling be needed if it's not seen painted? i fear the answer is yes)

THEN i'll make the bottom part of the "SLOT PORT", 8x2", not sure of the length, using the top curve as the OP part of the slot port. Make it out of the fleece and stables, aligned with the contour of the top to the length needed.

Glass the underside of that as most likely it will be hard to glass the top with only 2" of clearence from the already glassed top part.

THEN i'll do the front, Resin outside, glass inside.

Then last the bottom, resin outside/inside (through the subhole) and glass outside, maybe some duragla on the inside.

See what i'm saying? I'd draw on my pic to better illustrate, but i'm at work, "WORKING" :up2somet:

Omarvelous
11-14-2005, 10:13 AM
sometimes it does, boatyard resin is around 15/gallon, you'll need ~2 gallosn for that project plus enough matt to do it all, maybe it would, but if you got the cash, homedepot rocks the house.

At that price....i'd prob save 10-15$, which is worth it money wise, not sure time. But your right, just wish i lived within the vacinity of one.

ramos
11-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Yeah, your still gonna need some filler and sanding. But with just smoothing the fleece instead smoothing over a couple layers of glass. You won't need as much filler or sanding. :)

Omarvelous
11-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Yeah, your still gonna need some filler and sanding. But with just smoothing the fleece instead smoothing over a couple layers of glass. You won't need as much filler or sanding. :)

YES Sensei! :uhoh:

This box will be deadddd ****!! :*******: