PDA

View Full Version : Cubic air space help needed please!

Nightwalkerlp2
11-12-2005, 07:14 PM
I recently got into fiberglassing so my first project was to make a new speaker box. I was just going to make a fiberglass face for the sub to sit in and do the rest of the box in wood. The problem is I dont know how much space I need inside the box for it to sound good. I'm sure this is a totally ridiculous question to anyone experienced but I have no idea. I talked to someone and they said to look on the box that the sub came in and it should tell me but, of coarse it said nothing about it. (It was a cheap off brand fifteen inch ''XXX'' sub) I now have the face done and I'm just waiting to find out how much room I should give the box, if anyone has any info PLEASE tell me, thanks!

PowerNaudio
11-12-2005, 11:26 PM
hi welcome to the forum.

it very important that you find the actual model of the sub, ones you find that you can try and get the t/s parameters from the manufacturer or search Google or this site for it.
that way you can calculate the enclosure volume that is needed to get the frequency response you want from the sub.

Mr. Opportunist
11-13-2005, 01:06 AM
www.reaudio.com they have specs of the xxx on their site...

squeak12
11-13-2005, 01:10 AM
I got a feeling these are the XXX on ebay.

Nightwalkerlp2
11-13-2005, 10:59 AM
no those are the wrong subs (waaaay to nice to be mine) mine are red with the XXX logo in the middle. How do you go about getting the frequency responce for your sub? Could I just guestimate at how big the box needs to be and then add insulation or whatever as needed?