PDA

View Full Version : Stop MDF from shocking me!!

Omarvelous
11-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Ummm.....what am i doing wrong?

I've gotten static shock from working with MDF 2times. NOT regualr static shock, some hard core lvl 3 Static shock! :uhoh:

WTF is causing it?

It only happens when i'm vaccuming up the MDF shavings after making a pass. Firts time i had the vacume nozzle on the MDF when i was shocked, the 2nd time on the floor.

I'm wearing a reg cotton shirt with semi heavy sweats, and sneakers. Is it something i'm wearing?

WTF!!

Johnny Drama
11-12-2005, 01:58 PM
It could be the vaccume or the outlet. The board could just be a ground, and cause the electicity to pass through you to the grounding spot...

I am not to knowledgable on these things, but that is just a guess.

tRiGgEr
11-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Duh if it only happens with the vacume...

Use your brain...

Omarvelous
11-12-2005, 02:06 PM
Duh if it only happens with the vacume...

Use your brain...

ok so the vacume is one componet.....

It's NOT the only reason why dummy!

I'd like to know if there is ANOTHER component, one that i DON'T NEed, and would get rid of therefore.....

CAUSING THE VACUME NOT TO BE ABLE TO SHOCK ME AGAIN!!

Understand my friend?

I need the vacume, i thought it might have been something i was wearing or my workinf surface.

But if u guys don't know then i'll just vacume after n use the floor vac.

Just a while ago though when i had the hose on, it had the MDF shavings standing up on the hose of the vacume, like metal shavings on a magnet.

MDF = EVIL!

Omarvelous
11-12-2005, 02:07 PM
while we are at it though, what's the best grit to sand MDF?

I want to smooth out edges and lvl some imperfections.

I know when i use to sand it, the **** MDF would **** up the sand paper because it would get in the grits.

Omarvelous
11-12-2005, 02:19 PM
Okkkk..... i think i got it....

CERTAIN Plastic + MDF Shavings = Shock

When removing the plastic canister and emptying it..... i got shocked again.

So there u go!

Sticky this this could be VERY eneficial to everyone!! :D :hilariou: :thumbupw:

negativezeroz
11-12-2005, 02:22 PM
I just use a leaf blower to get all the crap outta my boxes and then use a nice semi-damp cloth to get it off the silicone/glue if theres any left....:uhoh:...Never needed to use a vaccum...

supa_c
11-12-2005, 02:25 PM
I use a broom.
80grit will work well with MDF, it chews it up real nice.
Anthing higher than that it will just make the wood smooth and not sand anythign down

djman37
11-12-2005, 02:45 PM
Okkkk..... i think i got it....

CERTAIN Plastic + MDF Shavings = Shock

When removing the plastic canister and emptying it..... i got shocked again.

So there u go!

Sticky this this could be VERY eneficial to everyone!! :D :hilariou: :thumbupw:

i got the CRAP shocked outta me vacuuming up corn starch after some spilled in my pantry.

brandontw
11-12-2005, 06:47 PM
this is baffling me..i have never heard of this...are you sure its static..i havent ever had a static shock that pisses me off enough to write and article about it from plastic and mdf shavings.

Omarvelous
11-12-2005, 10:40 PM
I just use a leaf blower to get all the crap outta my boxes and then use a nice semi-damp cloth to get it off the silicone/glue if theres any left....:uhoh:...Never needed to use a vaccum...

Well....i see you haven't been building boxes IN your kitchen! :D

Yea that's why i need a vac, along with a broom.

Omarvelous
11-12-2005, 10:41 PM
this is baffling me..i have never heard of this...are you sure its static..i havent ever had a static shock that pisses me off enough to write and article about it from plastic and mdf shavings.

oooo trust me!! It's not reg static shock that u get from running ur feet on the ground.

It has to be static because no direct electricity involved.

I'd compare it to the time i stuck a screw driver into a exposed light socket TRYING to more the wires instead getting a jolt!

It hurts man!

JAZN
11-12-2005, 11:05 PM
v-a-c-u-u-m

NhustlaR
11-13-2005, 02:14 PM
just man up and take the shock ;)

NhustlaR
11-13-2005, 02:15 PM
wear some condoms on your hands, im sure that will---

make you look like a total homo.

DBfan187
11-13-2005, 02:20 PM
ground yourself

azbass
11-13-2005, 03:41 PM
mdf dust is freekin flamable.

brandontw
11-13-2005, 04:10 PM
oooo trust me!! It's not reg static shock that u get from running ur feet on the ground.

It has to be static because no direct electricity involved.

I'd compare it to the time i stuck a screw driver into a exposed light socket TRYING to more the wires instead getting a jolt!

It hurts man!

i dunno - this is crazy stuff :eek:

Omarvelous
11-13-2005, 05:55 PM
v-a-c-u-u-m
lol thx!

They need fing SPELLCHECKER!!

Omarvelous
11-13-2005, 05:56 PM
just man up and take the shock ;)

lol, come get some see how manly it'll make u feel.

Omarvelous
11-13-2005, 05:57 PM
ground yourself

:wacky: :banghead: :nerd:

Do i look like any of those! lmao :eyebrow:

NhustlaR
11-13-2005, 05:57 PM
haha cant say that ive ever gotten shocked my mdf dust. but then again, my shop vac is a piece, so i use a broom :P

Omarvelous
11-13-2005, 06:07 PM
haha cant say that ive ever gotten shocked my mdf dust. but then again, my shop vac is a piece, so i use a broom :P

lol well ALL u really need is the rubber tubbing, and some freshly cut MDF dust, roll it around, and ...... repeat until u get shocked!

TRUST it was bad enough that i made this stinking thread about it. I don't just go around making threads.....:sneaky:

tRiGgEr
11-13-2005, 07:33 PM
What an Idiot:laugh: how do you shock your self making a box. Never happened in the past 4 years:laugh:

azbass
11-13-2005, 07:57 PM
What an Idiot:laugh: how do you shock your self making a box. Never happened in the past 4 years:laugh:

you must not know anything about mdf dust. or static electricity. or anything of the sort.

tRiGgEr
11-13-2005, 08:00 PM
you must not know anything about mdf dust. or static electricity. or anything of the sort.

Umm Actually I don't know about shocking myself while making a box:laugh: idiots...

azbass
11-13-2005, 08:02 PM
cool!

tRiGgEr
11-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Lol...

Omarvelous
11-14-2005, 01:01 AM

kiss my arse!! :furious:

it will happen to JU!! U've been warned! :mad:

azbass
11-14-2005, 01:04 AM
ohno!

noob with an RS
11-14-2005, 01:06 AM
i thnk you need to pop the hood of your car. and you see where the distibutor is at? the wire that goes into the center of the distributor is called the coil wire. yank that wire out while the car is on and poke your finger into the coil wire. it is going to feel like 20 thousand volts depending on how many cylinders your car has. a 4 cylinder car typically has around 20000 volts going through the coil wire and an 8 cylinder will have around 40000 volts. after u get the crazy jolt of 20k volts go through your body you will know how it felt when i touched an un-insolated coil wire. you will then be traumatized by spark plugs. after that, throw your MDF box in the trash can and picc up a maxim magazine. i dont know why i just had to include that.

tRiGgEr
11-14-2005, 12:07 PM
kiss my arse!! :furious:

I want to kiss it while you are being shocked:eek:

Omarvelous
11-14-2005, 12:12 PM
I want to kiss it while you are being shocked:eek:

Kiss it while being shocked

Shocked while working with wood

Kiss it while i'm working with wooooood?? ..... u sicko! :yumyum:

Omarvelous
11-14-2005, 12:13 PM
i thnk you need to pop the hood of your car. and you see where the distibutor is at? the wire that goes into the center of the distributor is called the coil wire. yank that wire out while the car is on and poke your finger into the coil wire. it is going to feel like 20 thousand volts depending on how many cylinders your car has. a 4 cylinder car typically has around 20000 volts going through the coil wire and an 8 cylinder will have around 40000 volts. after u get the crazy jolt of 20k volts go through your body you will know how it felt when i touched an un-insolated coil wire. you will then be traumatized by spark plugs. after that, throw your MDF box in the trash can and picc up a maxim magazine. i dont know why i just had to include that.

Sounds more worse then the screwdriver in the exposed light fixture that's for sure.

Ilike the detailed DIY! We should make a suicide forum, with detailed PDF DIYers

DBfan187
11-14-2005, 12:13 PM
:wacky: :banghead: :nerd:

Do i look like any of those! lmao :eyebrow:uh, if you ground yourself you won't get shocked;)

Omarvelous
11-14-2005, 12:28 PM
uh, if you ground yourself you won't get shocked;)

lol, i'll be sure to do that next time, thx man, ur the best!

i'll be sure to thank u like SO!

I will chase u down like so! :highhorse:

And when i find you i will CHALLENGE u to a DUEL! :slap:

And we shall FIGHT to the death! :swordfigh

And i will :spank: JU!

And u can do nothing but :bawling: like a baby! And scream for :help:

And thus making me very :verymad:

And i will :fart: and u will die thus showing me ur :*******:

Being sarcastic of course - Have nothing to ground on however.

DBfan187
11-14-2005, 01:13 PM
you where a watch with a metal band?

Attach it to a wire, stick the other end in the ground outlet on the wall.

Omarvelous
11-14-2005, 01:20 PM
you where a watch with a metal band?

Attach it to a wire, stick the other end in the ground outlet on the wall.

Ahhhh, sounds like a plan. Not sure if i'd want to try it though, lol. But thx anyways man.

Copper wire right? or any old speaker wire will do?

btnhfan
11-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Actually he meant a wire made of platinum.

noob with an RS
11-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Sounds more worse then the screwdriver in the exposed light fixture that's for sure.

Ilike the detailed DIY! We should make a suicide forum, with detailed PDF DIYers
yes, we shall make a suicide forum and it will be for the emo kids that are depressed because their sisters tease them and call them gay and to make it worse, their sisters are dikes so it makes them feel 10x shittier. so ****** that they pose in front of web-cameras and stare off into nothingness as if to say "look.. look at me.. im emo.. an emo i am.. an emo and i want your attention and i need it bad.. love me.. love me... help me.. help me.. my hair is ugly.. my hair is ugly i know.. im sad :crying: " :uhoh:

edit: oh yea, iceteebone is depressed too, he might find it useful also.

supa_c
11-14-2005, 10:00 PM
If you get shocked from wood you are retarded.

Omarvelous
11-14-2005, 10:06 PM
yes, we shall make a suicide forum and it will be for the emo kids that are depressed because their sisters tease them and call them gay and to make it worse, their sisters are dikes so it makes them feel 10x shittier. so ****** that they pose in front of web-cameras and stare off into nothingness as if to say "look.. look at me.. im emo.. an emo i am.. an emo and i want your attention and i need it bad.. love me.. love me... help me.. help me.. my hair is ugly.. my hair is ugly i know.. im sad :crying: " :uhoh:

edit: oh yea, iceteebone is depressed too, he might find it useful also.

i love it! what shall the site be called?

Omarvelous
11-14-2005, 10:07 PM
If you get shocked from wood you are retarded.

i DARE ju supa!

supa_c
11-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Dare me what ?

Omarvelous
11-15-2005, 12:53 AM
Dare me what ?

SAy it to my face! :mad:

supa_c
11-15-2005, 02:15 AM
You Are A Retard

azbass
11-15-2005, 02:18 AM
still on this mdf thing?

Omarvelous
11-15-2005, 10:20 AM
You Are A Retard

:nerd: ooooh yea! But ur girl gets a shock from my wood, so is she! :*******:

still on this mdf thing?
I just want everyone to be aware of the dangers against cutting MDF!:crap:

Nagh, i'm done, already started resining.

post 777!!! i'm playing that in the lotto!

supa_c
11-15-2005, 01:55 PM
I see no danger in cutting MDF.
except the dust getting in your eye and blinding you

Omarvelous
11-15-2005, 02:23 PM
I see no danger in cutting MDF.
except the dust getting in your eye and blinding you

Oh yea! Whats about SPLINTERS!! ..... from the particles..... it CAN happen i'm sure it can! :eyebrow:

supa_c
11-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Sorry dude, MDF doesnt split like normal wood.
Its fibers, they are soft.
A splinter is impossible

Omarvelous
11-15-2005, 11:34 PM
Sorry dude, MDF doesnt split like normal wood.
Its fibers, they are soft.
A splinter is impossible

cmon.....we had something going here, why did u kill it?

i was joking, gooosshshhhhhh [/NapoleonDynamite]

WeDgE
11-15-2005, 11:54 PM
Bzzzzzzzzzt!

supa_c
11-16-2005, 04:04 AM
/thread kill