PDA

View Full Version : using winisd...got a couple ?

jaygeorge1979
11-09-2005, 10:38 PM
First off, i was setting up some sample drivers to mess around with, and i picked the dayton 5 1/4 aluminum cone woofer, and oen of the input parameters i couldnt find...it was "Pe"...can someoen tell me what it is and where to get it?

also...looking at some dayton tweeters...i couldnt find any manufacturers spec sheets, so i couldnt input parameters...somebody clue me in...

looked on partsexpress.com

thylantyr
11-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Pe = watts

What do you want WinISD to do for you? Most people just model woofers and some
people may model the bass peformance of midranges, basically to see how box size
affects the response and to play with port tuning. The output of WinISD doesn't factor in
other things like cabin/room gain. For the most part you can make a good box with it
and you can deal with room interactions later with EQ, if need be, but for the most
part you know you have a good box design vs. blindly doing it which would be random
dart throwing.

To do this basic modeling all you need is three parameters;
QTS, Fs, Vas

Some folks really like to optimze bass performance for a particular design so the software
needs more data to be inputed and these folks will use Unibox or maybe Bass Box Pro
software.

For tweeters you don't really need to model them.

jaygeorge1979
11-10-2005, 01:47 PM
i have no clue what i want it to do for me...i found a free beta version download and i remembered lemans saying something about it being good for building boxes so i decided to see what it could do...it had some filter calculator stuff in there tho...not that im gonna need it, cuz im gonna be a crossover guru when i get my DCX...muahaha

thylantyr
11-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Try also WinISD Pro;
http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx

Model some woofers in different boxes to see what happens. Change box size
to see how response if affected. Play with ported box modeling, try different box sizes and tuned frequencies.. etc...

jaygeorge1979
11-10-2005, 03:44 PM
do you know what pro offers over regular winisd? cuz changing with and playing with what you mentioned can all be done in winisd if im not mistaken

thylantyr
11-10-2005, 04:00 PM
If you are getting confortable with WinISD at least get comfortable with the
'better' version because you might want to explore other 'stuff' later.

You can install both and run both. WinISD Pro is more picky on data entry,
one of it's bad flaws. If you enter certain parameters it will trap it as an error
because the number entered wasn't 100% accurate. Beta is more loose in tolerance.

jaygeorge1979
11-10-2005, 05:21 PM
If you are getting confortable with WinISD at least get comfortable with the
'better' version because you might want to explore other 'stuff' later.

You can install both and run both. WinISD Pro is more picky on data entry,
one of it's bad flaws. If you enter certain parameters it will trap it as an error
because the number entered wasn't 100% accurate. Beta is more loose in tolerance.

well done....i may just DL :)