PDA

View Full Version : Buying components and need opinions

drbrown
11-09-2005, 05:27 PM
I dont know what the higher end brands are other than maybe boston acoustics. Im not going for big spending here because Im not going to be pushing any kind of serious power. I found these on Ebay, yes I know ebay is the devil when it comes to electronics but everything I've ever bought I've had luck with. So I want some 6.5" & tweeters up front pushing around 50-70w. So on that note what do you guys think of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BOSTON-FS60-6-5-2-WAY-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-2005-S60_W0QQitemZ5826709051QQcategoryZ32819QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5826452878&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIAMOND-AUDIO-D361-6-5-2-Way-Component-Speakers-New_W0QQitemZ5826846237QQcategoryZ32819QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Any recommendations?

alphakenny1
11-11-2005, 03:59 AM
If you are around that price range and if you could bump it up a lil bit, get the Rainbow SLCs. Solid set and can be had for $175 or so. Someone was selling their set for $150 on here a couple of weeks ago. I'd check that out.

RbAudio_Geek
11-11-2005, 07:57 AM
I bought me some Rainbows Sound lines and i love them

Ignatowski
11-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Crystal Mobil Sound

bikejunkie223
11-11-2005, 09:36 AM
The diamonds would be a good choice, but you may or may not like the alum. dome tweeter (bright) I love Dls stuff, but the up6's are about $350- though they absolutely rock.

audiolife
11-11-2005, 09:48 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Memphis-15-MCSYNC6-6-5-COMPONENT-SET-NEW-05-SEPERATES_W0QQitemZ5826705391QQcategoryZ32819QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

drbrown
11-11-2005, 09:56 AM
So the harsher solid materials like aluminum are more crisp and "bright" with tweeters? Thats what I would assume judging by the way material acts to vibrations but what do I know heh.

I did some searching and couldnt find anything from rainbow, did the go out of business?? The components from Crystal look nice but Ive never heard a word mentioned about them. Im starting to think its not so much about which components I buy, its more of which amp I buy. I hate being a NEWB! Sooo much to learn.

audiolife
11-11-2005, 09:59 AM
where are the speakers going? are you going to deaden the the car? ........

bikejunkie223
11-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Speakers absolutely matter. The best amp in the world will not make bad speakers good. typically hard dome tweeters are brighter than silk domes.

UndercoverPunk
11-11-2005, 10:06 AM
no, you need a solid amp that'll actually put out the power it rated at, but lots or amps do that, The speakers are very important, but you'd probably be satisfied with any of them.

The thing that matters more than anything is how you're going to install them... the aiming, where they a physically located and wether you sound deaden... these are probably the main things that will determine how they sound.

drbrown
11-11-2005, 10:51 AM
To answer all the questions....

1) 6.5's will go in the door in the factory location (nowhere else to put them w/out glassing). And the tweets will be up higher around the mirror area in the door so I can get aimed more towards my ears.

2) As for sound deadening I dont know much, I should do a search for that. If it means stuffing the crap out of the doors and interior panels with insullation Im not going overbard. First reason being this car is more for SPEED than audio. BUT I have always loved music so Ive decided to compromise the weight a little to be able to enjoy my music for longer drives. I could do some mild stuffing if you think it would help.

3) I'm on a tight budget till after xmas so Im doing this slowly trying to plan what speakers to buy with what amps I can get ahold of. I currently have an ebay special SoundStorm 5-channel amp. 200x1(bridged) for the sub and 50x4 unbridged on the interiors. Right now the HU runs it all but that will change soon.

My expertise in installations is next to nothing other than the basic plug & play install. I have seen the small dynamat sheets you put down behind the actual speaker but I doubt that works that great. My car doesnt rattle YET but Im assuming we are talking about trapping the sound in the car. Its gonna be tough to get a probe to ever be air tight like that. You can push on the door windows and see air around them haha.

bikejunkie223
11-12-2005, 02:10 AM
By sound deadening, all you need to do is apply sheets of dampener to the inside of the outer door skin, and then a large sheet to seal off the holes in the door, and dampen that metal. Then, make sure the speaker basket is sealed to the inside of the door panel with a spacer you build so all the sound is pumped into the cabin instead of getting lost between the speaker and door panel, and you are in good shape. Stuffing your doors with packing material and **** is retarded and unnecesary. The paint on goop isn't really required either, you just need some large sheets of dampener and a heat gun or very good hair drier.

acousticguitar
11-12-2005, 02:56 AM
Rainbow SLC's--i think they're nice and lots of others agree. german, hand-made speakers. the mids are fantastic--very strong, warm. the speakers overall are very accurate, don't color the music at all. competitors in Europe have won SQ trophies using the SLC's even though its more of an entry-level speaker.

definitely not out of business. Alumapro took over as their America distributor. It was Arc Audio. Nice speakers, they're at www.rainbow-car-audio.de I believe. Speedsound sells the SLC sets for nearly $300.

anyways, I recommend those. just fyi, i may be selling a pair of lightly used SLCs in the near future since I got my hands on some other incredibly nice speakers at a price I couldn't refuse. :)

drbrown
11-12-2005, 09:18 AM
By sound deadening, all you need to do is apply sheets of dampener to the inside of the outer door skin, and then a large sheet to seal off the holes in the door, and dampen that metal. Then, make sure the speaker basket is sealed to the inside of the door panel with a spacer you build so all the sound is pumped into the cabin instead of getting lost between the speaker and door panel, and you are in good shape. Stuffing your doors with packing material and **** is retarded and unnecesary. The paint on goop isn't really required either, you just need some large sheets of dampener and a heat gun or very good hair drier.

Let me make sure I understand this... your saying that inner metal wall that the speaker mounts to should be dampenned with a set of whatever brand stuff I get. Then use a wooden "ring" and mold it to the oem mounting location so the speaker is pushed closer to the door panel and better aimed to fill the cabin. Correct so far? That would make sense to me I guess.

I will have to do some searching to see what dampner material/sheets are the cheapest.

As for buying Rainbows, they sound nice enough Im sure. But $300 is out of my price range. I probably wont have the more expensive high power amps either so no point in underpowering them.

bikejunkie223
11-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Let me make sure I understand this... your saying that inner metal wall that the speaker mounts to should be dampenned with a set of whatever brand stuff I get. Then use a wooden "ring" and mold it to the oem mounting location so the speaker is pushed closer to the door panel and better aimed to fill the cabin. Correct so far? That would make sense to me I guess.

I will have to do some searching to see what dampner material/sheets are the cheapest.

As for buying Rainbows, they sound nice enough Im sure. But $300 is out of my price range. I probably wont have the more expensive high power amps either so no point in underpowering them.
You have the idea, you can use 3m strip caulking on the basket (outside of the surround) to seal it to the door panel. The good news for high end components is that a lot of them don't need massive power to sound good. My Dls UP6's would be about $300 from Tplaya07 (I think) and will sound incredible in a deadened door with 50 true watts (that's what mine get, and they def. don't need more power)

drbrown
11-12-2005, 12:41 PM
You have the idea, you can use 3m strip caulking on the basket (outside of the surround) to seal it to the door panel. The good news for high end components is that a lot of them don't need massive power to sound good. My Dls UP6's would be about $300 from Tplaya07 (I think) and will sound incredible in a deadened door with 50 true watts (that's what mine get, and they def. don't need more power)

Most people on here will argue that the 6.5's need more power but I agree with you. Especially for the tweeters, silk or aluminum shouldnt need more than 40-60watts.

I actually have some 3M culk from polyfilling my motor mounts hehe. SO I should be able to use that stuff. And I shouldnt need to make the wood ring very thick since my 3-way tweeters in the doors actually touch the door panel grill as is. I might be able to angle the speaker up more to get a direct path to my ears. Thanks for the help gents.

acousticguitar
11-12-2005, 12:47 PM
heh, yeah, wait for people on this forum to sell their rainbows. :) (im not the only one) or buy another used component set (of any decent brand) from someone reputable here. trust me, you can get some pretty nice speakers at great prices here on these forums. its not like youre getting a warranty from eBay gray market goods, so you might as well get a nicer set here from soneone trustworthy.

also, i am using my set with 50w rms and i'm sure the speakers never even see anything CLOSE to that much. they still sound good. i disagree with most people that speakers need a ton of wattage to sound good since few people ever listen as such levels unless they are competing. someone measured the actual output of their amp at the speakers once at a HIGH listening level... i think they clocked it at 23w. trust me, that's more than enough for something like the rainbows.

Cris
11-12-2005, 04:37 PM
I have the boston set that you listed. They're good for SQ, I like them..I'm very satisfied with them.

UndercoverPunk
11-12-2005, 04:52 PM
heh, yeah, wait for people on this forum to sell their rainbows. :) (im not the only one) or buy another used component set (of any decent brand) from someone reputable here. trust me, you can get some pretty nice speakers at great prices here on these forums. its not like youre getting a warranty from eBay gray market goods, so you might as well get a nicer set here from soneone trustworthy.

also, i am using my set with 50w rms and i'm sure the speakers never even see anything CLOSE to that much. they still sound good. i disagree with most people that speakers need a ton of wattage to sound good since few people ever listen as such levels unless they are competing. someone measured the actual output of their amp at the speakers once at a HIGH listening level... i think they clocked it at 23w. trust me, that's more than enough for something like the rainbows.

Head room is definately your friend....

audiolife
11-12-2005, 06:27 PM
huh heh huh... he said head

bikejunkie223
11-13-2005, 02:58 AM
All I can say, is my amp as it is set up is rated at 50w rms/x2 into 4ohms, and 200wrms/ 1into 2ohms. If my current setup is 300watts, then I have either:a. the most efficient speakers every made in a near perfect install, or b. 90% of all amp specs, birth sheets, etc are complete bullshit. The truth is somewhere in between, but when I have my gains turned all the way down, can max out the head unit volume distortion free but it hurts so bad you can't do it for long, I'd say headroom isn't an issue, and I have never heard a true honest 300 watts until now.

audiolife
11-13-2005, 02:39 PM
headroom is definately good to have if set propperly. it isnt used to blow you out of your seat its there for lowwer volume levels to keep the system lively.