PDA

View Full Version : best tool for cutting wood

nas786
11-09-2005, 03:15 AM
I guess I could spend about 50 bucks (or mabye more and then return it :evil: ), but I want a tool that would easily cut 3/4" mdf, straight, and also the circle for the sub.

I saw something on t.v. that looked so cool, almost like an Xacto knife, but electric (which made it easy to cut precise), and it cut so effortlessly through wood, anyone know what I'm talking about??

Anyway, last time I got a cheap $30 jigsaw, and that thing was a piece of ****, it was so hard to keep it straight, and kept going through the wood quick then slow then quick (mabye it was a ****** blade), which made it almost impossible to cut straight lines, much less a nice circle, so I'm trying to avoid this crappy type of tool. Btw, I live near a home depot.

iagrdshaka
11-09-2005, 03:25 AM
buy it and take it back....its what someone does every other month with their entertainment center. :sneaky:

supa_c
11-09-2005, 03:39 AM
Thats going out on a limb there Jmac....

jimmclrk1
11-09-2005, 03:50 AM
Use a knife.

cversion7
11-09-2005, 05:58 AM
Use a circular saw for straight cuts. For circles I can only recommend a dremel and the circle cutting attachment like I have pics of in my worklog.

ramos
11-09-2005, 09:00 AM
:fyi: 90% of the products in infomercials are poorly made and don't work nearly as well as they do on TV ... :fyi:

Buy a good saw and good blades and you'll be happy ...

Preach on brother man, I don't know of any gimmick gadget ( infomercial items ) that will cut through mdf better than a circular, or table saw with a good sharp blade.

///M5
11-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Anyway, last time I got a cheap $30 jigsaw, and that thing was a piece of ****, it was so hard to keep it straight, and kept going through the wood quick then slow then quick (mabye it was a ****** blade), which made it almost impossible to cut straight lines, much less a nice circle, so I'm trying to avoid this crappy type of tool. Btw, I live near a home depot.

Uhh, operator error? If not, go get some real saw blades. MDF is hard as hell and chews through blades faster than any other wood--which is what happens when you try to saw through glue with a little sawdust thrown in.

Flipx99
11-09-2005, 10:54 AM
rotozip and a table saw

PV Audio
11-09-2005, 11:04 AM
rotozip and a table saw
F-

circular saw and a router. router can depth cut, plunge, circle cut, straight cut, everything. table saw can't easily size down large sheets of wood without lots of assistance. you can do everything with a circular saw that you can do with a table saw plus more.

PV Audio
11-09-2005, 11:04 AM
A ... saw ... maybe ... ? :idea:
:slap: those only cut PLYwood, not MDF

thaar411
11-09-2005, 11:23 AM
circular saw and a jig saw for sure if youre on a budget. table saws aren't necessary but really nice for cutting straight lines. A decent circular saw can be had for less than $50 (cheap ones cost $20 or so). To cut a straight line, grab a piece of 2x4 for your guide, lay it parallel to your cut line, then clamp it down so it can't move.

I guess the same can be done with a jig saw too, so the only tool you really need to cut wood is a jig saw.

OldManTod
11-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Ask Lorena Bobbit... oh wait, that is what is the best tool for cutting a tool... sorry...

ramos
11-09-2005, 11:44 AM
F-

circular saw and a router. router can depth cut, plunge, circle cut, straight cut, everything. table saw can't easily size down large sheets of wood without lots of assistance. you can do everything with a circular saw that you can do with a table saw plus more.

Aiight, I'm with ya on the router. But I'll take a table saw and a couple of roller guides anyday over a circular saw. :)

Flipx99
11-09-2005, 11:47 AM
I can't cut straight for ****, which is why I use table saw. I am considering getting a router table once they go on clearance. Eliminate need for both table saw and rotozip as long as it comes with a fence.

ramos
11-09-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm to cheap to buy a router table. I just made my own wit hsome plans I found on the net. I believe these are the plans I used . :)
http://www.patsporch.com/patswoodshop/rintro.html

glowin3232
11-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Use a hatchet....

I've always used a jigsaw for the smaller cuts, if you go slow and pay attention to what you're doing it usually comes out good enough. For bigger stuff i use a circular saw.

Chevyaudio
11-09-2005, 12:05 PM
Aiight, I'm with ya on the router. But I'll take a table saw and a couple of roller guides anyday over a circular saw. :)

Welll i own a table saw, and im experiencing what lemans said. When i try to cut down a large sheet of MDF, it gets kinda wild and scary, What are these roller guides you speak of and where can i buy them.

Flipx99
11-09-2005, 12:07 PM
you can buy them at lowe's. it looks like a bakers pin (used to roll out dough) connected to a tripod.

Chevyaudio
11-09-2005, 12:08 PM
thanks, ill go look tomorrow.

ramos
11-09-2005, 12:28 PM
I got mine from harbour freight ( I love that place :D ) these are almost the exact model. Only difference I see is mine are green. I got them on sale for $20 a pair. :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46074

supa_c
11-09-2005, 12:53 PM
Sorry ramos
Circ saw> table saw
you cant cut angles very eaisly with a table saw. Its also very hard to maneuver a big *** sheet of 100lb MDF over a table saw.
It doesnt take up room either.

Acidburn
11-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Sorry ramos
Circ saw> table saw
you cant cut angles very eaisly with a table saw. Its also very hard to maneuver a big *** sheet of 100lb MDF over a table saw.
you obviously have never worked with a real table saw, the kind that actually is a table

ramos
11-09-2005, 12:55 PM
Sorry ramos
Circ saw> table saw

He!! I can't :D I can cut angles all day long. I will never have to cut a full 4 x 8 sheet more than once. :)

JimJ
11-09-2005, 01:00 PM
you obviously have never worked with a real table saw, the kind that actually is a table

x2...

Working with a proper table saw is a breeze...having rollers set up basically takes all the weight off you; handling a 4x8 sheet by yourself is easy.

nas786
11-09-2005, 02:03 PM
****, i shoulda probably said this before, I live in an apartment, so I can't use something like a table saw. Looking more along the lines of a handheld tool.

How are dremels? Easy to work with? I was lookin' the workbook someone posted in here, and his box came out **** clean....and total cost was only $40.

Omarvelous
11-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Some ppl say Rotozip, Dremel seems a little panzyish compared to Roto.

I used it once, but it burn my wood, was REALLY loud, and seems like u'd have to do everything 3 times.

I TOO am a buy and take back kinda guy!

I vote for the Router (wish i knew how to use it more) and a Circle Saw since u don't have the space for a Table Saw.

But a GOOD Table saw will get u far!!!

If only i had the space too...... as SOON as i graduate college i will!! 6 mo months!!!!!

Omarvelous
11-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Question about routing....

I will be rounding the edges on my box i'm building.

Thinking of using a 1/4" or 1/2" rounding router bit.

How do i start with that? Do i dive right in, or do i word my way in? Start at the end, or can i work from with in?

Seems like i'd be chucking away at it, i'd hate to ruin the bit, they only cost like 15$, or mess up the router motor.

Sorry to jack!! I'm from sout side jamaica queens, das how we do!

Omarvelous
11-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Use a circular saw for straight cuts. For circles I can only recommend a dremel and the circle cutting attachment like I have pics of in my worklog.

How many passes did that take? The circles u made with the dremel?

Looks REAL clean!

Omarvelous
11-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Yeah, saws can't cut MDF at all :rolleyes:

not sure if u guys are being sarcastic,

BUT 2 years ago when i was living in the Dorms at my school i was reduced to using the hand saw to cut some pieces for about a week....

Did a good job, just took 4ever.

Then found out my friend has woodshop accessssss..... yessssss!

ramos
11-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Don't get me wrong a circular saw, or jig saw will produce nice clean cuts when you use a straight edge and take your time. I just prefer to use my trusty delta table saw. :)

cversion7
11-09-2005, 03:58 PM
How many passes did that take? The circles u made with the dremel?

Looks REAL clean!

One time around is all. Bit goes all the way through the whole way around. I'd say takes about 1.5 - 2 minutes max to cut out an 11" diameter hole. Like a hot knife through butter at 30,000 rpms. :D

Crown_amps
11-09-2005, 04:10 PM
quit being a tard and use a chainsaw

Omarvelous
11-09-2005, 04:26 PM
One time around is all. Bit goes all the way through the whole way around. I'd say takes about 1.5 - 2 minutes max to cut out an 11" diameter hole. Like a hot knife through butter at 30,000 rpms. :D

hmmmm....... What model was this?

can't beat 30$. Was thinking bout the RZ20 rotozip, they want 149 with all these attachments.

But i'd pay 40$ anyday

SSS 18734
11-09-2005, 05:07 PM
I prefer a utility knife for cutting 3/4" MDF

cversion7
11-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Got mine at walmart. It was the cheapest corded model they had. I have a cordless one too, but it dies too quick and takes forever to charge.

supa_c
11-09-2005, 08:06 PM
To bad i have.....stinky face

bumpncarstereo
11-09-2005, 08:10 PM
i have a ryobi 18 volt speed saw (like a rotozip) and ryobi 18 volt circular saw it is only a 5 1/4" blade but it works well. eventually i will get a table saw, but these work like a charm for now.

supa_c
11-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Beavers work well too.
Wont cost you anything to run it, prob the best "tool" out there

TrollHunter
11-11-2005, 07:51 PM
circular saw will do the job for $50 even though i bought a ******* jigsaw for $40 on sale and it cuts great.

Blunt
11-11-2005, 10:23 PM
i have a ryobi 18 volt speed saw (like a rotozip) and ryobi 18 volt circular saw it is only a 5 1/4" blade but it works well. eventually i will get a table saw, but these work like a charm for now.

i use a ryobi circular saw like that one myself it works great i also use the jigsaw that came with my kit. 2 batteries is a must thos cause 3/4 and the cordless circular saw don't get along if oyu have to cut too many times. Allthought that 1hr break to charge a battery is needed sometimes lol.

ramos
11-14-2005, 08:39 AM
Well this weekend we all learned that Rotozip circle cutter = crap. piece of plastic chit :)