PDA

View Full Version : f-150 Seperate locations

bonus
11-08-2005, 01:47 PM
I've decided to build a system for my F150 regular cab and need some help on tweeter locations. I've got a set of MBquart 5 1/4" seperates that I purchased a few years ago and would like to install these in the doors. The stock system staging sounds low to me and I'd like to bring it up to dash level. My thoughts our to mount the woofers in the stock speaker locations and the tweeters in the door where the A-pillar meets the dash. Would I have staging and phase problems since the tweeters will be approximately 20" from the woofers? I've always been told that seperates should me mounted close to each other.

squeak9798
11-08-2005, 02:38 PM
I've decided to build a system for my F150 regular cab and need some help on tweeter locations. I've got a set of MBquart 5 1/4" seperates that I purchased a few years ago and would like to install these in the doors. The stock system staging sounds low to me and I'd like to bring it up to dash level. My thoughts our to mount the woofers in the stock speaker locations and the tweeters in the door where the A-pillar meets the dash. Would I have staging and phase problems since the tweeters will be approximately 20" from the woofers? I've always been told that seperates should me mounted close to each other.

Try it and see what you think.......but generally it's better to mount the tweeter as close to the mid as possible.

Robertw813
11-08-2005, 07:43 PM
Guess I'll chime in on this one since I also have an F-150.

I used a set of MB Quart PCE-216's (6.5") to replace the front 5x7's. I used a circle cutting bit and drilled out holes about 2" up and 2" left of speaker grill that is molded into the door panel (i.e. I drilled holes in my plastic door panel). I didnt notice a huge difference in sound between mounting them there vs. the A-Pillar. Plus, they just look better flush mounted next to the woofer.

-Rob