PDA

View Full Version : what kind materials to use for box?

jd_man_90
11-07-2005, 05:25 PM
I am building a 5 cu ft slot ported box for 2 12's. I have almost completely designed it so i just want to check and make sure i have desided on the right materials. I am planning on using 1'' MDF is this an appropriate thickness. I am going to be putting 2 12'' type r's in the box. also the box is not ver deep so there arent going to be any large panels so i wouldn't think there would be much danger for the box flexing. I am planning on using 2.5 inch coarse thread sheetrock screws. i know these are the type of screws to use but is that a good lenght? I am planning on using spiked "t" nuts with the matching bolts to attach the subs. what do most people use when attaching their subs? for sealing the sub in i am thinking of purchasing some speaker sealing caulk from parts express. it is sold in 36in lengths for only $1 each. is this a good choice for sealing? this is my first system and i am a perfectionist so i want to do it right. thanks for your help!

2kchevy06civic
11-07-2005, 05:30 PM
If the T-nuts are what I am thinking of, they don't work out to well. I put some on my SE and they hit the surround, which I noticed before any real damage was done.

jd_man_90
11-07-2005, 05:40 PM
these are "t" nuts they look nice to me but i have never used them if these are what you used how did they hit the surround?
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-775

jd_man_90
11-07-2005, 05:44 PM
could i use 3/4in MDF and still be fine?

vosschs
11-07-2005, 05:46 PM
could i use 3/4in MDF and still be fine?
eh, for 5 cu ft would use 1 inch if you dont want to have to worry about flexin, and i would use liek 1.75 inch screws 2.5 is overkill

iceteebone
11-07-2005, 05:48 PM
you'll be fine with 3/4" mdf. i would just use a brad nailer. i just made my box using a brad nailer and i can literally jump up and down on it and it does not give at all and i'm not small. for bracing i use a 2x4 or some thick wooden dowels as beams. you can also double baffle.

jd_man_90
11-07-2005, 05:58 PM
I'm not worried about bracing bec. the box is only 14'' deep and 16'' tall it is rather wide but since it is not very deep i don't see the need to brace it. with these demensions do you think i could use 3/4?

NhustlaR
11-08-2005, 07:54 AM
how long is this box?!?!?!?!? i think you should be alright with 3/4. Dont use such big screws, its a pain tryin to keep the box from splitting in the first place. I use 1 5/8 galvy(or coated). bracing may be a possibility, although like you said it may not be needed. just make sure you take your time. good luck

NeverEnuffBass
11-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Make sure to glue the edges before either nailing or screwing it all together

ramos
11-08-2005, 11:35 AM
T-nuts are great I love em. Predrill your holes. My question is how are you gonna get a 5 cuft enclosure with out any large panels ? :)

nVRuckus
11-08-2005, 12:36 PM
t-nuts work great but make sure you hand thread the bolts or you might strip them, then your screwed.

///M5
11-12-2005, 06:25 PM
T-nuts are great I love em. Predrill your holes. My question is how are you gonna get a 5 cuft enclosure with out any large panels ? :)

Yep, assuming internal vol. as stated above no sub volume the box will already be 39" long and that panel is going to hump around lots. Weird shaped box too. I would definetely brace that thing.