PDA

View Full Version : best big screen television $1500

thadman
11-06-2005, 10:53 PM
We are looking at getting a Big Screen for my father for his anniversary and would like to stay in the ~$1500-1800 realm. What is best DLP?LCD? or just plain old rear projection? Can anyone recommend me a unit that I could buy, local would be a plus.

netherland24
11-06-2005, 10:54 PM
YES SAMSUNG DLP kicks ***, or a NICE panasonic PLASMA would be nice 42inch or something.
and get him satalite with TIVo

thylantyr
11-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Whatever you get, make sure it has HDMI input or at least DVI so you can feed
a digital signal right into it from your source {which outputs HDMI or DVI} for uber PQ.

Wildcard: Projectors. Even $1000 projectors are nice to throw a nice 100" diagonal
screen {or bigger}.

The problem with televisions seen at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc., is they daisy chain
the feed to display on all those TV's, picture quality is poor. I have not seen
a good rig at these stores. I went to high end store which had a nice upsampling
DVD player feeding the 'new technology' TV's directly with HDMI and the PQ is awesome,
almost HD in quality from the new upsampling DVD players. Don't judge these TV's
if you see them on display at consumer electronic stores, mostly likely it won't look it's
best and it may confuse you into thinking they aren't that good. Go check out a high
end store to see what they really look like.

PhatTonyDeMarco
11-06-2005, 11:25 PM
YES SAMSUNG DLP kicks ***, or a NICE panasonic PLASMA would be nice 42inch or something.
and get him satalite with TIVo

Yeah, a 42" Plasma wont break a $1500 budget...

saywhat?
11-08-2005, 08:08 AM
2 grand is all it takes for a 42 inch.......

thadman
11-12-2005, 11:36 PM
Id prefer a larger screen...opposed to having a thinner screen (plasma) what are the best in my price range? Is it cheaper to get online (shipping is lk $300 i suppose)

04redmach1
11-12-2005, 11:41 PM
I have a Sony 42 or 46 inch with stand. Not tooooooooo big but not small. VERY good picture. It was $1399 i think. the real big ones have crappy picture unless you spend $6000 on a **** plasma.

Xekutr
11-13-2005, 12:09 AM
The LCD Rear Projection sets are really nice, no burn in, relatively small cabinet depth, GREAT picture quality, very large sizes avail. I just checked Crutchfield, and they aren't too much out of your budget, but I have seen the 50+" models, and man, it is a very enveloping experience. Even on the smaller models the quality is pretty much second to none

Ignatowski
11-13-2005, 05:44 AM
Im looking for a large TV as well...BUT CANT FIGURE OUT WHAT I WANT
I have no idea what to buy,At Costco your on your own as far as models and what to buy
I walk in to BB with 5Gs cash and not one mutha F'er comes over to assist me...
I go to CC after that and the snot nose kid knows less about TVs than I do.......

ALl I want is a simple 43-50" TV thats middle of the road ,good bang for your buck
non overpriced plasma

Ignatowski
11-13-2005, 05:51 AM
Pick up the November issue of Consumer Reports ... They did another large feature on TVs that's probably worth checking out ...

No Offence but Consumer reports is a bunch of bullshit
written by people who dont have a clue..........

thadman
11-14-2005, 10:48 PM
so what are my options?