PDA

View Full Version : MDF/Trupan????

bjfish11
11-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Hey guys, i was just wondering. I know you all use MDF for your boxes, but have any of you ever heard of Trupan MDF? I work at a local family owned lumberyard (owned by my great uncle) and we no longer sell regular MDF (for the past couple of years). All we carry know is Trupan MDF. Its the same exact thing as regular MDF except a little bit more pricy and a hell of a lot lighter. I just wanted to get your guys' opinions on this and see if anyone else has heard of it. Lets hear it cause im kinda curious.

saywhat?
11-06-2005, 11:36 PM
coat it with some resin and try it out. of course build it, then coat it. can u tell if its pourus ?

bjfish11
11-06-2005, 11:38 PM
huh? i already use the stuff...i just wanted to see if any of you guys have ever heard of it or used it.....

Moe Lester
11-07-2005, 12:03 AM
ive heard of it, i know snova has used it before. He built some big *** box out of 2" trupan.

Omarvelous
11-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Found this.....http://www.schallerhardwood.com/new_page_2.htm

TRUPAN

THE MERCEDES OF MDF

Trupan is a double refined medium density fiberboard produced from only fresh debarked Radiata Pine logs harvested from sustainable forests. By using only fresh Radiata Pine logs, no other species, or wood waste, Trupan is able to produce a very light colored medium density fiberboard. The use of Radiata Pine in the production of Trupan produces a fiberboard that is extremely easy to machine. The Radiata Pine content of Trupan tends to prolong cutter life. The double refining produces a board that is very consistent throughout its core, thus making it the perfect choice for edge profiling, moulding, and routing. Trupan is produced in Chile and imported into the United States. Because of the longer lead times it is important to have a supplier that carries an adequate inventory. At Schaller Hardwood Lumber Company, we carry perhaps the largest most diversified inventory of Trupan in the Midwest.TRUPAN ULTRA LIGHT---weighs approximately 60% of a standard mdf or about 60 lbs per sheet of 3/4" 4x8. Trupan Ultra Light is the best choice for any use where weight is a factor. Trupan Ultra Light will machine very well.

TRUPAN LIGHT---weighs approximately 80% of a standard mdf or about 80 lbs per sheet of 3/4" 4x8. Trupan Light is the best choice for producing moulding, raised panels, and edge profiling.

Man i'm liking it! the 20-40% weight diff will REALLY help with bigger boxes.

NeverEnuffBass
11-07-2005, 12:01 PM
I've used trupan on a some of the bigger installs I've done. Soooo much lighter than regular MDF from Home Depot.

snebes
11-07-2005, 01:06 PM
I have heard of it, just never found it. I would love to be able to find some of this stuff as I will be doing a huge install in my new car once I get it (screens/computer/nexus gauges in the dash, big *** box in the trunk, possibly door pods, or just kicks). Would be nice for my mileage....

bjfish11
11-07-2005, 01:14 PM
ill ship some out for ya, dont know what shipping cost would be, or you could come on out to ole' Fisher Lumber and pick you up a few sheets.

vosschs
11-07-2005, 01:48 PM
i use ULMDF at work all the time, very nice to handle with, but i dont know about using it with a box

el rafa
03-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Sorry folks for bringing up a old *** thread.

Anyways, I bought a cple sheets of Trupan(thought it was MDF till I got home and actually saw the sides of it) awhile back. Read this thread and it talks about it being lighter, well it's pretty light and a little pricier than MDF. Only thing is it durable as regular MDF? I got a sheet left and it's going to be used for my box. It will be 1cf sealed w/500 wrms hooked up to 10W6v2 at 2ohms. Design is courtesy of IONSQL. Recommend him for designing your boxes. Cool guy and VERY PATIENT(sorry for headaches).

IonSQL
03-30-2007, 11:35 AM

Trupan is just as durable as regular MDF. In fact, BJ (bjfish11) uses it for ALL of his builds, including the box he built for me, so I can definitely attest to it being good quality.

el rafa
03-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Cool, just checking.