PDA

View Full Version : 2-way vs. 3-way

infamousZ71
11-06-2005, 09:41 PM
I was curious about if anyone knows what the difference between 2-way and 3-way speakers is. I have been unlucky so far on finding a site comparing the two. Help me? :emb:

Bake
11-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Two ways have one tweeter, three ways have two tweeters, If you are shopping for speakers stay with the two ways. Three, four and five way speakers usually sound like ***.

jollymantv
11-06-2005, 09:50 PM
i would like to know also, i jost bought permiers ts-e6990 6x9 3-ways for $38, retail of 190, but i need to know what to put in for my front stage, 2 or 3
way? i was thinking of going with ininity kappas 6.5 3-ways, model 63.7i, i think, whatever it is, its there best 6.5 speaks

DiamondFanatic
11-06-2005, 10:13 PM
i would like to know also, i jost bought permiers ts-e6990 6x9 3-ways for $38, retail of 190, but i need to know what to put in for my front stage, 2 or 3
way? i was thinking of going with ininity kappas 6.5 3-ways, model 63.7i, i think, whatever it is, its there best 6.5 speaks
I would go with a set of component speakers for your fronts... they image better when set up properly compared to coaxial speakers. If you like really bright speakers, then the 63.7i would be for you, otherwise I would sugguest saving the money and getting the 62.7i

To the original poster, a lot of what you are asking depends on the type of speaker. Are you talking about a component 3 way setup or a coaxial one? Either way, generally the dedicated midrange speaker will give you better coverage and more even frequency response. In a coaxial version, most of the time the 3,4,5 way speakers are nothing more then a marketing gimmick (Pioneer, Sony) and sound like crap. My advice would be to just stick with 2-way coaxials, and if you have the time to properly setup a 3 way component system then go that way. A two way component system will sound better then a 3+ way coaxial system any day

JimJ
11-06-2005, 11:10 PM
All things considered, a proper coaxially-mounted system will image better ;) Part of why I'm a fan of component systems that mount like that...

squeak9798
11-06-2005, 11:15 PM
I was curious about if anyone knows what the difference between 2-way and 3-way speakers is. I have been unlucky so far on finding a site comparing the two. Help me? :emb:

Can't imagine your search was too difficult, given the fact the answer is sticky'd at the top of this section: http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=767530&postcount=2

bimma85
11-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Can't imagine your search was too difficult, given the fact the answer is sticky'd at the top of this section: http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showpost.php?p=767530&postcount=2
All that work and he has the nerve to say he's tried to find it :uhoh: :crying:

alphakenny1
11-06-2005, 11:57 PM
OMG! this is like what? 3 or 4 times this week someone has asked this.

infamousZ71
11-07-2005, 12:50 AM
To the original poster, a lot of what you are asking depends on the type of speaker. Are you talking about a component 3 way setup or a coaxial one?... blahblahblah ...My advice would be to just stick with 2-way coaxials, and if you have the time to properly setup a 3 way component system then go that way. A two way component system will sound better then a 3+ way coaxial system any day

I wasnt sure between component or coaxial. Thanks for your help. I apologize that I cant find my way around this huge forum as well as others. I had no idea that many people are confused between 2-way and 3-way. I will learn over time, until then, refill your prescription.

///M5
11-09-2005, 11:44 AM
The real answer might be if you have to ask the question, you really don't want a 3 way setup especially if you are installing it yourself as it will sound like azz. If you are really lost, do what Frosty says and get yourself a set of coaxials.