PDA

View Full Version : Break-in time on high-end comps

Hoot
11-05-2005, 01:58 PM
What is the typical break in time on components? How much tender care must be taken during the break-in period, or does it really matter? What sound improvements can be expected once speakers are broken in?

I just installed a set of Eurosports and am wondering what I have to look forward to - I can say, however, that at first listen they are *far* brighter than I expected. Being silk, I figured they would be "laid back," and they aren't.

Beat_Dominator
11-05-2005, 02:03 PM
No such thing, just don't clip the amp and cause distortion. Be smart with it and everything will work out :)

adam71
11-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Well, this is one of those arguments that will most likely never be settled. Some people think there is a break in period while others think there is not. Me personally I don't really believe there is a break in period but I've never pushed a brand new set of speakers over half volume til after 4 or 5 days of normal listening. Its not that I thought I had to but it was just better for my peace of mind. So I would say its up to you. If you choose to take it easy on them you sure won't lose anything. If you decide to get on them right away and blow them (which is unlikely but not impossible) then you'll know better next time.

I say just don't get crazy for a while and you'll be fine.

squeak9798
11-05-2005, 03:12 PM
There is no need to designate a "break-in" period. Just use them as you normally would.

Hoot
11-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Some say the break-in period refers to the speakers actually sounding better after break-in... loosing-up, smoothing out, etc.

kotec123
11-09-2005, 12:23 AM
Well, this is one of those arguments that will most likely never be settled. Some people think there is a break in period while others think there is not. Me personally I don't really believe there is a break in period but I've never pushed a brand new set of speakers over half volume til after 4 or 5 days of normal listening. Its not that I thought I had to but it was just better for my peace of mind. So I would say its up to you. If you choose to take it easy on them you sure won't lose anything. If you decide to get on them right away and blow them (which is unlikely but not impossible) then you'll know better next time.

I say just don't get crazy for a while and you'll be fine.

hahahah u basically said "yes there is a break in period of a few days..."

Eugenics
11-09-2005, 12:46 AM
tplaya07 told me it would be best to go easy on mine for the first 15 hours. he mentioned that i would be more happy in the long run and be less likley to damage them. He knows his stuff, i trust him on thi

kuijo
11-09-2005, 12:47 AM
I don't think you have to go any easier on them, but they'll sound better after the mechanical parts of the speaker break in... or so i've read.

bikejunkie223
11-09-2005, 12:50 AM
I didn't do anything out of the ordinary, but I noticed after about 5 hours of use, the midbass noticeably increased and the tweeters smoothed out. I just got my Dls Iridium 10 and am told to expect it to take a couple days to give me full output.

Eugenics
11-09-2005, 12:51 AM
writeup or die

tplaya07
11-09-2005, 01:55 AM
tplaya07 told me it would be best to go easy on mine for the first 15 hours. he mentioned that i would be more happy in the long run and be less likley to damage them. He knows his stuff, i trust him on thi

I just want to clarify that this may not be the case for every brand, just what DLS recommends. And I do not know 100% either way the effects of "break-in", whether it will actually contribute to a different (hopefully better) overall sound..but their has to be some premise to it, if it is recommended by more than just one manufacturer.
I know some manufacturers say to be easy for a week, others say a few hours. A well respected site (www.bcae1.com) stated that
"Some speakers need to be played a while before they obtain a stable compliance.Fresh out of the box, the suspension may be somewhat stiff (mainly due to the material that's used for the spider)." ....
..while other respected members state that it will make no difference at all.

Eugenics
11-09-2005, 01:56 AM
safe > sorry

DiamondFanatic
11-09-2005, 02:01 AM
I didn't do anything out of the ordinary, but I noticed after about 5 hours of use, the midbass noticeably increased and the tweeters smoothed out. I just got my Dls Iridium 10 and am told to expect it to take a couple days to give me full output.
I noticed the same thing with my Hex's, just left em below around half volume for the first few days, and then they started to sound better. More mid, and warmer sound. Just use your judgement, if your gains are set right you shouldn't be able to do damage to them

squeak9798
11-09-2005, 08:28 AM
I noticed the same thing with my Hex's, just left em below around half volume for the first few days, and then they started to sound better. More mid, and warmer sound. Just use your judgement, if your gains are set right you shouldn't be able to do damage to them

Maybe it wasn't the sound of the speakers that changed.....but rather your ears getting used to their sound ;)

nadroj81
11-09-2005, 10:47 AM
for home audio, i usually do low volume on all my new speakers for 24 hours, then keep upping the volume by a few notches each 24 hour period. do this for abotu week and they really open open. over time they open up even more.

just don't crank the volume on new speakers righ away, they don't like that.

squeak9798
11-09-2005, 11:07 AM
just don't crank the volume on new speakers righ away, they don't like that.

There's nothing wrong with it.

Only way to "break in" a speaker's suspension is to actually use it. Keeping the volume low while trying to break in a speaker is counterproductive to your goal.

nadroj81
11-09-2005, 11:31 AM
two different schools of thought. Low volume stretches/exercies the cones while high volume rips the cones. you need to stretch before you sprint.

squeak9798
11-09-2005, 11:37 AM
And with music you typically won't approach anywhere near the excursion limits of a driver. Plug 'er in and play it, and it will break in on it's own with normal, regular use.

Also, I believe you are referring to the "spider and surround", not the "cone". I'd hope the cone isn't doing a whole lot of "stretching" at any time.

6spdcoupe
11-09-2005, 04:00 PM
I personally believe in a break in period. Most of the manuafacturers that I carry also encourage doing it as well. I wouldnt say to go "easy on em" just not trying to reach their peak potential out of the box. I recommend to all of my customers to play at a moderate level for approx 10-20hrs.

Of course all products are (or supposed to be) tested prior to leaving facilities, although shelf life can cause them to relax a bit. Run a marathon, then lay in bed for a few weeks, then run that same marathon....lemme know how it feels. ;)

In either event its a subjective moot point to each individual. Some believe in it, some dont. My preference...better safe than sorry.

Sweetride01
11-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Read. http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/loudspeakers/SpeakerBreakIn.php

adam71
11-10-2005, 05:25 PM
hahahah u basically said "yes there is a break in period of a few days..."

My system......My money......my peace of mnd. I always take it easy on my stuff in the beginning because that is my belief and perogative. If you want to disect my statement and tell me what i just said then go ahead it doesn't bother me.

If you were just messin then thats cool too.;)

Hoot
11-14-2005, 11:08 PM
My Eurosports continue to sound better and better, though they still are much brighter than I expected them to be when I purchased them. Hey, the tweeters are silk - they should be laid back - NOPE.

Vestax
11-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Oh boy :rolleyes:

Speakers are not like cars, they don't need a "safe" break in period. Really, how often do you see speakers blow because you didn't break them in properly? :rolleyes:

adam71
11-15-2005, 01:07 AM
My Eurosports continue to sound better and better, though they still are much brighter than I expected them to be when I purchased them. Hey, the tweeters are silk - they should be laid back - NOPE.

What degree off-axis do you have those tweeters facing?? If you don't mind me asking.??:)

audiolife
11-15-2005, 01:30 AM
yuh generally speaking as the suspension loosens up it changes things a little bit. i generally get a few weeks listening time in before i tune it alot of times low end extention from mids increases a tad ans some of the snap goes away as well depends some though

bikejunkie223
11-15-2005, 01:32 AM
yuh generally speaking as the suspension loosens up it changes things a little bit. i generally get a few weeks listening time in before i tune it alot of times low end extention from mids increases a tad ans some of the snap goes away as well depends some though
That was my experience with my up6's. The sub gained about 20% output after 3 days or so. Now I'm ready to go play with the RTA and such.

Hoot
11-16-2005, 08:01 AM
What degree off-axis do you have those tweeters facing?? If you don't mind me asking.??:)Don't mind at all - thanks for asking the question. Originally, I had them with the frame mounting holes N,S,E,W (as pictured on the CDT website in Installs section). This created quite a bit of passenger door bias and pushed the image into the cabin at about shoulder height ('98 Maxima). The braxial bridge in this setup was at an exact 45 degree angle. I now have them mounted with the bridge at about a 20 degree angle from the vertical so that the tweeters are pointed much more upward. The stage is now more in front of me and the right bias is less obvious (the passenger side tweet no longer points *directly* at me). Still bright, though, and much more so than I expected.