PDA

View Full Version : Less interior volume than manufacturer recommends?

smurph98gt
11-04-2005, 08:19 PM
I just got a 12" Infinity Reference 1240w subwoofer, and am looking to either make or purchase a box. The biggest problem I have is space. I have a 92 Mustang coupe, the trunk is literally about 10" high, so I have very limited space.

Inifinity recommends 1.25 for interior volume for this sub.. whats the worse that'd happen if I had a box that has .85. Would it sound terrible, or still good, but just not as good?

Any other recommendations for me? Thanks everyone.

MrSector9
11-04-2005, 08:25 PM
EDITED

crap i thoguht you said a 1040,that is a .75... Liek stated you coudl go a lil smaller and fibrefill it to gain a little,for the most part it will not hurt the sub but will lack low end extension in a smaller box.

dont need a very big box thoguht ever for 1.25

sealed box for referneces is .75 .. i built one .75 full of fibrefill and it sounds nice :)

1.25 is for a ported box

smurph98gt
11-04-2005, 08:35 PM
What is this fiberfill? Adding it to the inside of the box some how simulates more volume?

It might not be THAT big.. but his trunk is stupid small and he'd like to keep some semblance trunk space if at all possible.

To get close to 1.25, and to fit height wise, we're looking at 24(w) X 8(h) X 16(d).. thats not huge.. but it would take up a large portion of his trunk.

MrSector9
11-04-2005, 08:45 PM
Yeah it makes the sub think there is a bigger enclosure due to the fibres dissapating heat. Most state that you can gain up to 20% in volume by using fibrefill

Search for fibrefill (fiberfill?) on here and there will be more then you wanna know about it :)

JimJ
11-04-2005, 08:49 PM
Yeah it makes the sub think there is a bigger enclosure due to the fibres dissapating heat.

Correct on the first part, wrong on the second :)

The reason it works is due to the fill slowing the sound waves down...not heat dissipation.

MrSector9
11-05-2005, 12:13 AM
and now you know....

well now i know :)

Thanks

mikescanlon
11-05-2005, 09:25 AM
stay sealed with that woofer too, good woofer, didn't like the ported box i made, expecially with your application of limited space..

unless you wanna play with some fiberglass : )

and if you had some cash to throw around, you could get more sound out of an RE 8 with a ported enclosure.

smurph98gt
11-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Yea.. we planned on staying sealed for sure..

The amp that will be running this is a Kenwood KAC-8452 (ftp://docs.kenwoodusa.com/manuals/OM-KAC-8452-2005-KUSA.pdf) He's running a set of 6x9s off the rear channel right now.. I'm thinking we'll attach the sub bridged to the L/R rear channel. Will that be enough to power this thing.. especially if we drop it in a smaller box?

Thanks again everyone.