PDA

View Full Version : Custom fiberglass amp rack pics

customcamaro
11-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Ok here is my Amp rack that I started over a year ago and then just left it sitting around collecting dust. I am about to install all my stereo stuff that I have bought over the past two years into my new car so I figured I better hurry up.
I First started with a piece of mdf as my base. Next I cut out some rectangular frames for the amps to sit down in. Once I had the correct size of frames to match the amp sizes I placed them on the base at an angle so they would be facing up slightly. Once the frames were in place on the base I then stretched the fleece over the piece making sure to get out all of the wrinkles out. layed down some fiberglass to stiffen the piece up and then cut out the holes for the amps to go into. After the piece was covered in fiberglass to give it its strength I then layed down the bondo on the entire amp rack. This is where you can make an easy job hard or a hard job easy. I have had plenty of practice with bondo and body work so I think I had a leg up on this step. Sanded the amp rack with my DA as much as I could and then hand sanded the rest with 80-180 grit paper. Here is what the amp rack looked after my first coat of bondo and shot with high build primer.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/stryker14/frcs001.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/stryker14/frcs002.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/stryker14/frcs003.jpg
I then wet sanded down the primer finding all the high and low spots. For the most part it was decently straight and I only had to add a small amount of bondo to get the real lows. Here is what it looks like after wetsanding the primer and the adding some bondo to a few spots.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/stryker14/frcs004.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/stryker14/frcs005.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d195/stryker14/frcs006.jpg
It is almost where I want it before I go back and spray some more high build. Ideally I would like to get it as smooth as possible before I spray primer again to avoid having to use the bondo, but as long as it is straight a little extra work cant hurt.:rolleyes:

bimma85
11-03-2005, 09:33 PM
looking good man

XtrmAudioCncpts
11-03-2005, 09:39 PM
looks pretty, cant wait to see more pics

customcamaro
11-03-2005, 09:43 PM
I will definately post as I go along. I will also be airbrushing the amp rack as well to go along with the theme of my car.:eyebrow:

XtrmAudioCncpts
11-03-2005, 09:48 PM
d@mn sounds like a lot of work, having a theme to your car and all.

customcamaro
11-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Haha, well when i say theme i just mean to match my hood that I airbrushed
http://www.stryker-paint.com/images/Tahood5.jpg
http://www.stryker-paint.com/images/WS620.jpg

Psyence
11-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Wow, thats fricken sweet dude.

Insomniac119
11-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Thats a hella cool paint job on your car dude.

edit: OH MY GOD IS THAT YOUR ****ING HOUSE?!

customcamaro
11-03-2005, 10:30 PM
hehe no, just an extremely over size methodist church. Better pic of it.
http://www.stryker-paint.com/images/WS63.jpg

quickstopdante
11-03-2005, 10:33 PM
that airbrushing is amazing. I hope you're a tattoo artist cuz you could make BANK!

millerscents
11-03-2005, 10:34 PM
is that the church off of mingo across from union school. looks like it to me

millerscents
11-03-2005, 10:35 PM
that airbrushing is amazing. I hope you're a tattoo artist cuz you could make BANK!

tattoos are illegal in oklahoma

customcamaro
11-03-2005, 11:30 PM
is that the church off of mingo across from union school. looks like it to me
Yep thats the one.

NeverEnuffBass
11-04-2005, 12:02 AM
tattoos are illegal in oklahoma

Is it really?

Those flames are sick btw. My car is at the body shop getting tribal flames on it right now.

ntense702
11-04-2005, 12:14 AM
the car and airbrush design looks great man, the amp rack is coming along nicely too, look foward to seeing updated pics

JAZN
11-04-2005, 01:16 AM
**** looks hot broheimen.

quickstopdante
11-04-2005, 01:21 AM
tattoos illegal? for real? i didnt know that actual happened

bri487
11-04-2005, 01:27 AM
tattoos illegal? for real? i didnt know that actual happened

my thoughts exactly. i am not a big tattoo fan, but hey if people like it why stop them? i dont like dodges either, but i dont see anyone throwing a fit if someone has one.

customcamaro
11-04-2005, 02:04 AM
my thoughts exactly. i am not a big tattoo fan, but hey if people like it why stop them? i dont like dodges either, but i dont see anyone throwing a fit if someone has one.
Yeah its rather retarded. We are also one of the couple states that doesnt sell 6 pt. beer in the grocery stores:mad:

DiamondFanatic
11-04-2005, 02:09 AM
Wow nice airbrush job, can't wait to see the finished product on that amp rack!

saywhat?
11-04-2005, 08:44 AM
are u sprayin epoxy primer? reason i ask is i dont believe filler will hold very well against a urethane primer.....

Omarvelous
11-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Love the rack man.

Question.....how are you going to route the wireS??

Hope u took that into consideration b4 u painted, might have to pre drill the holes n such.

customcamaro
11-04-2005, 11:39 AM
are u sprayin epoxy primer? reason i ask is i dont believe filler will hold very well against a urethane primer.....
yeah the primer I am spraying is an epoxy, I only use acrylic urethane primers for sealing.

customcamaro
11-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Love the rack man.

Question.....how are you going to route the wireS??

Hope u took that into consideration b4 u painted, might have to pre drill the holes n such.
Well when I originally started I thought I could run the wires down through the bottom but I am thinking that there isnt enough room to run them without tweaking them too much. I think I will just have to run them down at a slight angle to avoid putting too much stress on the wiring. Yes I will be pre drilling the holes before I go to paint.:p:

Shyne151
11-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Looks good man... can't wait till I get my new car in the spring to start glassing :)

ramos
11-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Ahh very nice my brother . I see we have another fan of a Mr. Lavallee . :)

Omarvelous
11-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Well when I originally started I thought I could run the wires down through the bottom but I am thinking that there isnt enough room to run them without tweaking them too much. I think I will just have to run them down at a slight angle to avoid putting too much stress on the wiring. Yes I will be pre drilling the holes before I go to paint.:p:

:thumbupw: I KNEW u had it covered!!

ALSO! I was wondering if maybe we can talk about painting.

Might start a thread wid ya.

Basically i'm looking for a cheap setup that does a decent job priming/painting/glossing.

someting that will get me above spray paint quality, but not necessarily automotive quality.

We'll talk.

customcamaro
11-04-2005, 11:55 AM

Basically i'm looking for a cheap setup that does a decent job priming/painting/glossing.

someting that will get me above spray paint quality, but not necessarily automotive quality.

We'll talk.
Yeah man I can get you squared away. I have been doing the custom paint thing for about a year now so hopefully I can answer all your questions.

P.S. Ramos, Lavallee is the man when it comes to fire!!!

saywhat?
11-04-2005, 12:01 PM

We'll talk.

a compressor is your biggest expense, and im talking 1000 bucks or so. primer gun=50 bucks lol u want a GOOD color gun, and a GOOD clear gun. both will run u around 2250-300 a piece. i personally LOVE sata guns.

saywhat?
11-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Yeah man I can get you squared away. I have been doing the custom paint thing for about a year now so hopefully I can answer all your questions.

hit me up with what compressor (at a good price) u think would do well for paint. im getting one for christmas and just want it to do everything at a reasonable price. i know most spray guns need around 13-15 cfm for a good constant non stop flow that will last a while, as well as nothing under a 30 gallon tank. any ideas? and correct me if im wrong on my info.

ramos
11-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Not to get to far of topic, but what kind of brush, and paint did you use. Since I got my latest iwata eclipse ( very nice A B ) I have been playing around with createx auto air. This stuff is nice, it's hard to believe it's water based. I love house of colors but with createx coming out with the auto air. I'm not sure I will use hok any more :)

customcamaro
11-04-2005, 12:21 PM
hit me up with what compressor (at a good price) u think would do well for paint. im getting one for christmas and just want it to do everything at a reasonable price. i know most spray guns need around 13-15 cfm for a good constant non stop flow that will last a while, as well as nothing under a 30 gallon tank. any ideas? and correct me if im wrong on my info.
Well for starters I would look at a unit that takes oil..... unless you dont mind an ungodly annoying compressor. I have a 60 gallon craftsman oil- less compressor that is rediculously loud when filling up compared to other compressors that use oil. Once you pick out a gun that you will be spraying with I would buy my compressor depending on its needs. Spray guns will use anywhere from 6 cfm to 15 cfm. My full size gun that I use is a Iwata LPH-400 and takes 9.5 cfm and my compressor is capable of just over 13 so it works well with what I have. Also the large 60 gallon tank is great when you dont want to listen to the compressor filling up the whole time while you are spraying. A 30 gallon will keep up with just about any spray gun out there (of course fill up more often than say a 60 gallon) just make sure its cfm rating is able to keep up with your spray gun. Also dont forget about putting on a moisture trap to keep the water out of the lines. Last thing you want is to be spitting water onto your painting surface. As far as which brand I cant really say because I have only used a craftsman and it has worked great so far, but as long as it meets your specific needs and they offer some kind of warranty I am sure it will work just as well.:naughty:

customcamaro
11-04-2005, 12:29 PM
Not to get to far of topic, but what kind of brush, and paint did you use. Since I got my latest iwata eclipse ( very nice A B ) I have been playing around with createx auto air. This stuff is nice, it's hard to believe it's water based. I love house of colors but with createx coming out with the auto air. I'm not sure I will use hok any more :)
Ramos, I use an iwata hp-c+, and eclipse hp-bcs. All paint that I use is house of kolor (distributer in town) along with my primers and clears. To be honest I have never tried auto air. I have heard both good and bad things, but as long as I am set up to spray uros I will probably continue to. The one thing that I am not too keen on auto air is having to heat set every layer to ensure it sticks. Heard way too many problems with people not doing this and having problems. Paint however seems to be a good quality that can achieve great results. I am sure I will give in someday and try it out to see what the fuss is all about:crazy:

saywhat?
11-04-2005, 11:11 PM
i used to spray RC bodies with a badger brush. it was the nicest one though, i forget the name. i hated it lmao. only gun ive ever TOUCHED and like was the eclipse hp-c and the eclipse detail brush....possibly the bc. ive done body work for a year, with hardly anything on my side other than common sense. and if ur doing the labor work before paint, i can honestly say that common sense and sand paper is all you need to get it right.

care to tell me a compressor model that might fit my needs man? im kind of on a limited budget but would atleast like to spray primer. get it completely ready for paint, and send it out for that.

///M5
11-05-2005, 01:45 AM
You can spray with a lesser compressor, but it requires some waiting and different managing of your time. Really ***** actually, but if you are only doing a little work.

Wow! Nice Fire! I really don't like flames, but I love the fire. You did a stellar job.

millerscents
11-05-2005, 07:59 PM
looking good might get you in touch with a couple tattoo people i know, they might be able to find some air brush work for you. or you could get a flyer to them and they can put it up in there shop. never know might get some work from it.

bonesninja
11-05-2005, 08:10 PM
are you gonna change your name to customfirebird now?

SAG3
11-06-2005, 01:08 AM
nice car

customcamaro
11-06-2005, 02:44 AM
looking good might get you in touch with a couple tattoo people i know, they might be able to find some air brush work for you. or you could get a flyer to them and they can put it up in there shop. never know might get some work from it.
Yeah that would be cool. About 99% of the stuff I am doing now is for people out of state that send me stuff to airbrush for them. Starting to wonder if there is anybody in this state that actually needs anything airbrushed:uhoh:

customcamaro
11-06-2005, 02:46 AM
Hehe, still have the camaro as well...just kinda has taken a back seat to the trans am for right now. I have some big plans for the camaro though :naughty:

ramos
11-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Ramos, I use an iwata hp-c+, and eclipse hp-bcs. All paint that I use is house of kolor (distributer in town) along with my primers and clears. To be honest I have never tried auto air. I have heard both good and bad things, but as long as I am set up to spray uros I will probably continue to. The one thing that I am not too keen on auto air is having to heat set every layer to ensure it sticks. Heard way too many problems with people not doing this and having problems. Paint however seems to be a good quality that can achieve great results. I am sure I will give in someday and try it out to see what the fuss is all about:crazy:

I haven't had any problems as of yet. It is a pain to bake everything. But a heat lamp in the garage works pretty well. I still use HOK primers and clears. I just like the ease of the auto air when it comes to clean up. Water and a little soap and your done. :)

bonesninja
11-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Hehe, still have the camaro as well...just kinda has taken a back seat to the trans am for right now. I have some big plans for the camaro though :naughty:
cool keep us updated. good work by the way!

DFW40
11-08-2005, 05:12 PM

changing it to firecrotch I heard

negativezeroz
11-08-2005, 05:15 PM
Rep the TUL :)

Nice job man