PDA

View Full Version : 5/8 birch

nismboy6986
11-03-2005, 04:06 PM
where can i find some 5/8 birch plywood? i coudn't find any at lowes. I want to make my avalanches 3rd home (actually 2nd since the last one was just the first one "remodeled")

vosschs
11-03-2005, 04:55 PM
try home depot, they might not have it in stock, but they'll order a sheet, why not use MDF?

iagrdshaka
11-03-2005, 04:58 PM
birch? are you kidding me?

InhumanAcura
11-03-2005, 05:00 PM

why, just built a box out of birch last weekend..its alot lighter than mdf

JimJ
11-03-2005, 05:00 PM

Nope.

Baltic birch plywood is commonly used in home audio apps...actually is recommended for horn-loaded designs.

It's sold at No's or Home Despot, at least around here.

InhumanAcura
11-03-2005, 05:01 PM
idk about 5/8 though..

bimma85
11-03-2005, 05:02 PM
whats some differences between birch plywood and mdf?

idk about 5/8 though..
it is a pretty massive sub

JimJ
11-03-2005, 05:04 PM
MDF is a composite of glue and sawdust...while birch plywood is constructed like any other void-free ply. Generally easier to finish, especially if cabinet-grade.

I wouldn't use 5/8" for a sub enclosure, unless it's a horn or something where there's going to be a massive amount of lateral bracing. The possibility for flex is high...

iagrdshaka
11-03-2005, 05:05 PM
I remember Dan talking about the differences between the two....(I think it was between birch and MDF) but still it seems too thin to me.

bimma85
11-03-2005, 05:06 PM
MDF is a composite of glue and sawdust...while birch plywood is constructed like any other void-free ply. Generally easier to finish, especially if cabinet-grade.

I wouldn't use 5/8" for a sub enclosure, unless it's a horn or something where there's going to be a massive amount of lateral bracing. The possibility for flex is high...
any pros and cons you can think of besides weight?
Not trying to jack the thread...but I believe the original poster's ? has been answered :).

InhumanAcura
11-03-2005, 05:14 PM
mdf is much easier to work with..

birch is easily scratched, much harder, and when youre routing it some of the layers will break apart..all in all you work and pay more for a better overall product

vosschs
11-03-2005, 05:17 PM
birch plywood,

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8553/birch6xc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

i wouldnt use it for a car audio sub box, house i guess, not for a 12 or 15 or something if its a sub, 5/8 and plywood isnt as strong as MDF iirc, and more expensive

InhumanAcura
11-03-2005, 05:47 PM
birch plywood,

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8553/birch6xc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

i wouldnt use it for a car audio sub box, house i guess, not for a 12 or 15 or something if its a sub, 5/8 and plywood isnt as strong as MDF iirc, and more expensive

its not going to look like that at lowes or hd i assure you..

id use birch ply over mdf in the same thickness everytime if it wasnt 2x as expensive..5/8 is too small though

InhumanAcura
11-03-2005, 05:49 PM
from hd...it is all dusty though

http://img493.imageshack.us/img493/1157/p10100319xm.jpg

vosschs
11-03-2005, 05:52 PM
i wonder if all those layers are birch, cuz most of the time they name the plywood for example. birch plywood, red oak plywood, mahogany plywood, is just cuz of the layer of vaneer on top and bottom , in which case its still plywood, the kind wouldnt matter, but if its solid birch plywood, even the layers its made of, then its different, anyone understand what im trying to say?

InhumanAcura
11-03-2005, 05:55 PM
i wonder if all those layers are birch, cuz most of the time they name the plywood for example. birch plywood, red oak plywood, mahogany plywood, is just cuz of the layer of vaneer on top and bottom , in which case its still plywood, the kind wouldnt matter, but if its solid birch plywood, even the layers its made of, then its different, anyone understand what im trying to say?

yes..idk what we used but its alot harder to route than mdf/normal plywood..not 100%, but i think birch is a hardwood?

jgarcia9102
11-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Does the wood effect the tone at all?

Im a drummer, and for drums different woods are all about tone.

A lighter shell will usually ring longer, and using woods like birch, make the tone brighter. i dont know if it effects the sound of a subwoofer, but play 2 identical bass drums made of different woods side by side, and its like night and day.

nismboy6986
11-07-2005, 05:03 PM
the reason why is i want to make the enclosure as light as possible. i want a 150lb limit on the weight i want to add to the car of the whole audio system(i really want a 100lb limit but i'll stretch to 150) would 3/4 birch be lighter than mdf buy a worthwhile amount amount? i wouldn't be routering the birch. even though its going to be a fiberglass box i'm going to make the trim ring out of mdf. have you seen the multicomposite enclosure they built in car audio magazine in the "tricks of the trade" department the last couple of issues? the enclosure will be similar to that

liar2
11-07-2005, 05:13 PM
Does the wood effect the tone at all?

Im a drummer, and for drums different woods are all about tone.

A lighter shell will usually ring longer, and using woods like birch, make the tone brighter. i dont know if it effects the sound of a subwoofer, but play 2 identical bass drums made of different woods side by side, and its like night and day.

Using the drum analogy, you have to also remember that the heads make a difference, and it is extremely hard to get the same tuning. But using the different wooden shells does indeed make a difference in drums. I'd assume it would as well in the subwoofer box as well because of how the sound will resonate.

eisenhower
11-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Lol, just becuase mdf is the commonly used wood doesn't mean its the best. Baltic birch play wood (the good 9 ply stuff) is SOO much better than mdf. Way stiffer, way lighter, and it won't warp under moisture. You have to realize that mdf is saw dust and glue, its not stronger at all, its just cheap.

Anyways, Ive built a few boxes out of both, and birch plywood is the ****. Its overkill for regular apps, but if you have the $$ (its 2x more than mdf), its worth it IMO.