PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio in Apartment

Miller5103
11-03-2005, 02:19 PM
So I have 2 12" RE SE's in a ported box I built running on a Hifonics BX1500 amp. They bump great in the car but I'm getting an apartment and would like to put the subs in the apartment, does Anyone know what I have to do to make this transformation? Power Source for amp? RCA Inputs? anything would help. Thanks

audioholic
11-03-2005, 02:23 PM
You are going to find buying a DC power supply capable of powering that amp is extremely expensive. You can use the subs off a home audio amplifier, that's what I would suggest. Leave the Hifonics amp in your closet.

JimJ
11-03-2005, 02:23 PM
Hmm, I wonder why I moved this...maybe because before making your first post, it helps to search what's been posted before you? :)

What kind of system are you integrated this into? You're going to need some sort of 12VDC power supply to supply enough current to the amplifier; if you want to run any real power you're looking at 120VAC plate amplifiers...

swimfreak26
11-03-2005, 02:26 PM
It CAN be done with your hifonics amp and a car battery, but it is dangerous, very dangerous. Before anybody says it's not possible, too, I did it last year....look for a post about dorm room stereo or something that I created. It's a bad idea though, don't do it.

Umm, beyond that yes, you're looking at a plate amplifier to get any real power. Also, a car tuned ported box doesn't work well in home, use something tuned MUCH lower, or sealed to get the best results IMHO.

JimJ
11-03-2005, 02:27 PM
The only battery I would even consider using in an apartment is a sealed AGM gel cell...regular lead acids are simply too dangerous to mess around with indoors.

LoudCrownVic
11-03-2005, 02:31 PM
If you put enough junked PC power supplies together... :)

Miller5103
11-03-2005, 02:33 PM
alright.. so basically I can use my subs but it would be best to buy a new amp suitable for indoor use that will supply me enough power and I should look into tuning my box lower or making it easier and just sealing the box? Sorry about the posts.. i tried searching and really didnt come up with much.. Anybody have suggestions on an amp for home audio that would be nice and obviously not kill my wallet? Thanks guys:)

JimJ
11-03-2005, 02:35 PM
For amplifiers...

http://www.partsexpress.com

Search for "plate amps".

I would probably just seal them...gives you maximum low frequency extension for HT and doesn't annoy your neighbors quite as much :)

swimfreak26
11-03-2005, 02:38 PM
I would probably just seal them...gives you maximum low frequency extension for HT and doesn't annoy your neighbors quite as much

x2

Miller5103
11-03-2005, 02:44 PM
k.. looks good.. I've never dealt with plate amps.. but i'm assuming they simply plug into a wall and deliver their amplified power.. simple.. so are plate amps simply amps that are used in all home audio?

JimJ
11-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Not exactly.

They're the most economical for powering subwoofers at lower power levels (under 500 watts). Once you get above that, it starts becoming more practical to use pro audio amplifiers that are built for 19" rack cabinets...these can deliver up to thousands of watts for relatively cheaply.

Miller5103
11-03-2005, 02:53 PM
well.. If i'm running 2 12" SE's.. I'm giving them about 1500 watts right now, so would it make more sense to use a pro audio amplifier? And just for knowledge, what would you tune a ported box too for a home audio set up? 25 Hz?

(I may just end up using my friends 2 12" Type-S subs, takes less power, but not close to as powerful as the SE's)

What would you do If you were me?

JimJ
11-03-2005, 02:54 PM
If I were you?

I'd go on Ebay and look for a QSC RMX850...or whatever Behringer offers that's similar. I'm pretty sure they make a Europower EP1500 that would work as well.

As for a ported box, you could tune as low as 16-17Hz depending on what you want to use the system for...generally, HT systems tune lower than music, as there's a lot more subsonic content in films than in most recorded music.

Miller5103
11-03-2005, 03:02 PM
now that looks like a better plan.. So pluggin those amps into my apartment outlets isn't going to give me a CRAZY electrical bill will it?

Civicslayr
11-03-2005, 03:26 PM
I had a headunit, a 6x9 kicker, kenwood 450 amp, and a 12 inch nitro bmx sub in a bandpass box in my room. I Wired the amp and head unit to a spare optima battery i had lying around, and left and automatic battery charger on the optima 24/7. Never had any problems.

noob with an RS
11-03-2005, 03:33 PM
bacc in the day i used my dad's eckler (sp). its basically a battery charger.. not AA batteries though the big ones i guess not sure what kind of batteries it was designed for but i think car batteries? anyway i hooked that thing up to my amp directly. the amp was getting its source from my boombox LOL (using an RCA to 1/4" adapter). i couldnt control the volume of the subs really though. my room would shake.