PDA

View Full Version : Would This Work?

bsazem22
11-01-2005, 09:48 PM
I had an idea in school the other day and I'm not sure if it would work or not, so I figured the people on here would definatly know so I'll post....

ok here was my plan, I want to take out the back part of my back seat (the part your back would be on) and cut a piece of wood to the same size. Then cut out two holes for my Kicker Comp 12's and mount them in it and then re-upholster it and put it back in and have my subs in my seat like that....ok now here are the problems.

1. people ride in my back seat and i need to do something to protect the subs, I was thinking I could cover them with plexiglass or something, I wasn't to sure what would work.

2. Would it sound horrible or would it still be fine sounding

While I'm posting I have a question I have been wanting to ask also, if I don't do this plan I still have my subs in their box I made, and it doesn't have a bottom, I wanted to know how much of a difference and what kind of distortion (if any) occurs when not even having a bottom on your box.

Thanks for any help.

kotec123
11-01-2005, 09:51 PM
lol....ummm very hard job but go for it

negativezeroz
11-01-2005, 09:54 PM
what truck/suv/car?

bsazem22
11-01-2005, 10:01 PM
lol well I think I can do it, it might take awhile but it'll get done my main concern though is would it be ok to put plexiglass over the front of the subs or would that make the sound horrible or cut down on the loudness of the bass

also, it would be in a 1995 Chrysler Concorde

negativezeroz
11-01-2005, 10:02 PM
do you happen to have a pic(s) of the backseat area? Jw.

Go for it man. Just measure like 2343243 times and cut once. :)

kuijo
11-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Allow for excursion room. Shouldn't cut down on the loudness anymore then having the trunk closed off with a regular box in it. Why exactly would u want to go IB instead of just building a box if ur just going to cover it up.

bsazem22
11-01-2005, 10:15 PM
well "covering it up" with plexiglass I was going to get clear p-glass so you can see right through it and see the subs I just want something there for protection when people or things are in my back seat and main reason to put them there is just to have something that no one else does around here haha, and I think it would look pretty cool

kuijo
11-01-2005, 10:17 PM
What kind of car, do you have a rear dash? If you installed them in that ud save urself a lot of trouble.

bsazem22
11-01-2005, 10:26 PM
I do....but it would be harder I think because its metal and it would be hard as **** to get that right when with this I have a much better chance of getting it right, in my opinion anyway

ruckus
11-02-2005, 08:53 AM
I had an idea in school the other day and I'm not sure if it would work or not, so I figured the people on here would definatly know so I'll post....

ok here was my plan, I want to take out the back part of my back seat (the part your back would be on) and cut a piece of wood to the same size. Then cut out two holes for my Kicker Comp 12's and mount them in it and then re-upholster it and put it back in and have my subs in my seat like that....ok now here are the problems.

1. people ride in my back seat and i need to do something to protect the subs, I was thinking I could cover them with plexiglass or something, I wasn't to sure what would work.

2. Would it sound horrible or would it still be fine sounding

While I'm posting I have a question I have been wanting to ask also, if I don't do this plan I still have my subs in their box I made, and it doesn't have a bottom, I wanted to know how much of a difference and what kind of distortion (if any) occurs when not even having a bottom on your box.

Thanks for any help.
what i would do is buy good speaker grills (thick and tight)and flush mount them with the wood then overlay with a fabric. that way your not creating another "box" on the front of the subs.

Omarvelous
11-02-2005, 09:08 AM
so u want to build.... INTO the seat?

OR!! Make a SEAT that doubles as a Sub box??

**** idea.... lot of work, but don't let that stop ya.

PLAN PLAN PLAN!!

bjfish11
11-02-2005, 09:12 AM
why dont u make like a real thick front baffle like 3 sheets thick and mount the subs down on the first layer. Then put some grilles or something over them and you should be good. Or invert them and use them as arm rests???:naughty:

80INCHES
11-02-2005, 09:14 AM
um just build a bandpass box and port it thru your armrest...u will get all the bass in your car

ramos
11-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Or just leave the seat back intact, and make a baffle behind it and run IB in the trunk. :)

Omarvelous
11-02-2005, 09:58 AM
why dont u make like a real thick front baffle like 3 sheets thick and mount the subs down on the first layer. Then put some grilles or something over them and you should be good. Or invert them and use them as arm rests???:naughty:

that would be retartedly heavy.

ruckus
11-02-2005, 02:09 PM
that would be retartedly heavy.
dopnt think he is gonna be moving it anyways ;)

Zacmc212
11-02-2005, 02:14 PM

That is what i was thinking

I say go for it

swimfreak26
11-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Did anybody else catch that he said his current box doesn't have a bottom?!?

Umm, in my opinion this is just a bad idea...if there is any air leak at the bottom (which, well, there is) you're not getting the compression in the box you need to create worth while sound (and you're probably making the suspension take a bit of a beating if you're putting too much power to them).

IB (infinite baffle) setups like you're proposing are possible, but don't rush into it. You get increased efficiency with it, and increased thermal power handling, but the mechanical power handling goes way down because you effectivly have "no" box.

Also, to make it work properly, you should completely seal off the front wave from the back wave of the driver, i.e. completely seal the opening.

If you see him around (not sure if he's even been on lately) talk to jmac...also, lloyd (bigbassman) knows quite a bit about them I think. I don't know for sure, but I would assume moe lester and ramos are fairly knowledgeable about the concept too (possibly even squeak and jack frost?). So, do some research, and don't rush into it. If you built a box with no bottom and didn't see a problem with it, I wouldn't do this until you've learned a lot.

bsazem22
11-02-2005, 10:06 PM
After reading all this I'm thinking of maybe doing this and putting grills over them and then with what swimfreak is talking about with the "no box" thing I could always build a box around them on the other side (my trunk) to fit around the backs of the subs, would that workfine or is there still something I'm missing?

Thanks for all the replies.

Also my dad told me today that he is gonna help me do this which is a HUGE factor in getting it done, he is a carpenter and can pretty much do anything electrical, upholstering, wood work, so this will be a great help. He also said that he wants me and him to make something to hold a moniter he bought for in his car (which he doesn't use anymore) and put it in my car and then mount my ps2 in it also, so I would say after christmas my car will be lookin pretty sweet (I'll be finishing my system during christmas with components and an amp for all my speakers)

any more ideas and feedback would be appreciated. Thanks again.