PDA

View Full Version : would this work (well)?

AndonD454
10-30-2005, 10:17 PM
i need sq asap. but before i buy anything i need an idea about what i should do. i have a 96 ford explorer.. and it comes with 5x7/6x8 speaker holes right where my knee is when i drive (not exactly optimal imaging).

SO, i need to figure something out. i want components. here are my thoughts..

mount tweets in the dash, or maybe a pillars.. i dont know i could put them anywhere but i would like to find an easy spot that would still sound good.. and im kinda particular abotu how the tweets sound too..

mount up a thin MDF ring for mids in the doors where the stock coaxials came. i would probably use 6 1/2s btu if they wotn fit well im nto opposed to 5 1/4s.. dont need tons of midbass beacuse:

i would mount midbass drivers in the kicks in custom enclosures. prolly some eu700s, extremis, xxxs, rli 8, soemthin that works well as a dedicates lower midbass driver.

just wondering if this would make for an OK soundstage. im going to have to do a lot of custom work for this so i want it to sound as good as possible. would the tweets sound ok on the dash away from the mids or should i find a way to mount them in the doors at the top of the panels or make custom pods or what?

and its cool to have midbass by your feet right, as long as i have a left and right driver?

squeak9798
10-31-2005, 09:22 AM
would the tweets sound ok on the dash away from the mids or should i find a way to mount them in the doors at the top of the panels or make custom pods or what?

Generally you want the tweeter as close to the mid as possible.

As for your other ideas.....you'd need a lot of time alignment to make it stage and image correctly.

Better idea, IMO, would be to just go with a prebuilt 2-way and mount both the mid & tweeter in kicks.

AndonD454
11-01-2005, 12:09 AM
ok.. i was thinking abotu that too... but if i mount tweets and mids in kicks would my legs in the way muffle the sound? as it is im tired of getting more out of my right speakers because my legs are kinda blocking sound...

i would probably look into those q logic kicks.. even though theyre really expensive they would match my interior pretty well and i wouldnt have to go through learning how to glass.. are those any good?

and also, if i did this, would you recommend just leaving my door panels empty? or should i mount a midbass in the doors? or would this also take a lot of effort to time align liek you said before? cause i wouldnt knwo the first thing about going active.. or whatever it would take to do this.. im always willign to learn though.

id rather learn as much as i can and do this right the first time, rather than going through dozens of different setups trying to make it sound bvetter. what would you suggets as the optimum setup for my situation?