PDA

View Full Version : best speakers for my money (340$)

cooldudejz
10-30-2005, 07:48 PM
i am looking for a set of components, a 2-way system. either with 4 or 5.25 inch system. these are what i am looking at right now
-CDT HD-42 (325$)shipped with a 10 year warranty
-a/d/s 345cs (295$)
-Diamond Audio S6000s hex (283$)
-Oz Audio Matriz elites (260$)
-Focal k2 136K (333$)
-whatever Ologyaudio has in this price range

can anyone lead me in the right direction, i am just looking for something that will sound really good in my price range.

cooldudejz
10-31-2005, 06:40 PM
anyone

zfactor
10-31-2005, 06:49 PM
out of all of those id go for the cdt's or the oz's, they are very different sounding from one another thoughso it depends what your tastes are... the oz's will be more in your face but still smooth not harsh though and the cdt's are very much laid back kinda soft i geuss not volume wise just in thier response. although i think the cdt hd's would be more efficient than the oz's those are the only 2 i would pick from your list.

Eugenics
10-31-2005, 06:49 PM
i'd get the ology's

also look at the DLS ur6's or ur6s's not sure which one of those is in the price range

bri487
10-31-2005, 06:54 PM
boston pros or type x's.

zfactor
10-31-2005, 06:58 PM
i agree with the dls if they are in your $$ range. after seing the ology x-overs i would not buy em.... id go and make my own but they use dayton drivers from what i know good drivers...

twoohfour
10-31-2005, 07:00 PM
ology for sure.

Eugenics
10-31-2005, 07:05 PM
i agree with the dls if they are in your $$ range. after seing the ology x-overs i would not buy em.... id go and make my own but they use dayton drivers from what i know good drivers...

you're a complete idiot.... dont post until you have a clue what you're talking about

zfactor
10-31-2005, 07:13 PM
man give me a break i saw the x-overs i know how they are made i know how they work i am far from an idiot number one and number 2 why dont we see you with the skill to make your own x-overs ??? i have...... made my own that is and in no offense they look 100% cleaner than those. no i havent heard them but there are only so many ways to make x-overs, i would def listen to them then judge the way they sound but i would never use those in that state and never pay close to 200$ for them. it doesnt cost much at all for a piece of circuit board and a cheap plastic box with some terminals on it.

and yes someone can go to parts express and but the dayton drivers for a whole lot less than that

bimma85
10-31-2005, 07:22 PM
man give me a break i saw the x-overs i know how they are made i know how they work i am far from an idiot number one and number 2 why dont we see you with the skill to make your own x-overs ??? i have...... made my own that is and in no offense they look 100% cleaner than those. no i havent heard them but there are only so many ways to make x-overs, i would def listen to them then judge the way they sound but i would never use those in that state and never pay close to 200$ for them. it doesnt cost much at all for a piece of circuit board and a cheap plastic box with some terminals on it.

and yes someone can go to parts express and but the dayton drivers for a whole lot less than that
Unless you're displaying the xover is it really a big deal? Ill take his xover that is proven over your "pretty xover" :).
BTW as for parts express.... he prefers people buy the drivers from them ;).

cooldudejz
11-01-2005, 04:16 PM
so out of that list the oz elites are probably one of the best and they cost the least. how well would the ozs perform with like 125watts

chinny
11-01-2005, 04:17 PM
talk to OlogyAudio here on the forums

noob with an RS
11-01-2005, 04:52 PM
do yourself a favor and get the ologys. let me sell u with one sentence: they compete with sets that cost twice as much.

OlogyAudio
11-01-2005, 10:06 PM

Hehe you want ugly… -- look at the inside of rainbow's xovers for sets in the price bracket *gag* -- wired p2p as well -- electrolytic caps and like 22awg inductors :) -- there was a pic of a melted one awhile ago :) IIRC

Should never judge a book by its cover... :D

But yea I'll hit ya up and see what kinda prices you can get on quality components -- if that drops the price... I'll just lower the price, and give people the option to have it in a little box and pay me to put it in... or they can DIY and save a few bucks :) -- unless you can get me dirt cheap boxes in low quantities... in which case I'll just get them...

zfactor
11-02-2005, 12:30 AM
i agree with the rainbow comments... i was sorely dissapointed in seeing the quality of components in them when we had a set here. let me know ill see what i can do. i do some business with a few companies overseas and have a few things branded for me. they sell all this type of stuff as well. hey it cant hurt for me to ask them for you....

bikejunkie223
11-02-2005, 12:58 AM
The Dls Up6's are freeking awesome and right in your price range. I wrote a review on mine here:http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=121645 Hope that helps. Tplaya07 sells Dls stuff here on this forum.

Eugenics
11-02-2005, 01:06 AM
dls = bad ***

zfactor
11-02-2005, 01:19 AM
^^^^ agreed well we agree on something eugenics

bikejunkie223
11-02-2005, 01:29 AM
I am stoked, my Solobarics are going away in place of either a Dls Iridium 10 or UR10 in a fiberglass box this weekend. Dls is the ****!

Eugenics
11-02-2005, 01:31 AM
^^^^ agreed well we agree on something eugenics

for shizzle

Eugenics
11-02-2005, 01:31 AM
I am stoked, my Solobarics are going away in place of either a Dls Iridium 10 or UR10 in a fiberglass box this weekend. Dls is the ****!

i really wanna hear those, how do they sound?

bikejunkie223
11-02-2005, 01:41 AM
They are both amazing, though the UR10 is very close to the Iridium in price, and my Dls guy said it is discontinued. It's cool, you look at them both and the only real difference is the cone/surround- the rest (spider, frame, motor, magnet) looks identical. The Iridium has slightly more excursion and the unpressed paper cone, while the UR10 has a magnesium cone with that uber-surround (looks ****** I think) Fortunately, I will get the option of listening to both with my amp in my car and then making the decision on which to buy. I was origionally going with the Dls Mw110, but I just want dual voice coils to maximize my amp. I'll let you know once it's all done and broken in (these subs take a few hours to run in from what I hear, I know my up6's did) A thread with Pix will be forthcoming...stay tuned.

zfactor
11-02-2005, 01:41 AM
the dls subs rock they are super clean and get really loud which suprised me at what they are capable of. i could not believe what they were doing while staying clean as hell. they are really great subs and blow the l7's away. the l7's may get a tad louder but man they sure dont do it anywhere near as clean

bikejunkie223
11-02-2005, 01:47 AM
It's all about the cleanliness of sound for me anymore. I got hooked, by my Dls dealers demo car. He has an Acura TSX with up6's in front and a Dls MW110 mag-cone in a small sealed box run off a dls classic series 4-channel and it is so freeking CLEAN! It is one of those cars that NEVER distorts, always sounds natural, and you can't tell where the sub stops playing and the mids take over- simply amazing. We put his MW110 in my car with my amp and it didn't hit like my Solos, but was so much more detailed- and he says the ur10 and Iridium are far better subs that the MW110....exciting stuff. As for the thread, Hurry up and buy Dls Up6's already! They OWN!

3.5Max6spd
11-02-2005, 08:31 AM
Hehe you want ugly… -- look at the inside of rainbow's xovers for sets in the price bracket *gag* -- wired p2p as well -- electrolytic caps and like 22awg inductors :) -- there was a pic of a melted one awhile ago :) IIRC

A 4yr old set that members here payed under $150 for are in the same price range as your components sets? For a set of speakers that are rated for 80watts...Thats less than you charge for exposed spagetti on a piece of plywood alone.

Have you seen a Diamond Hex or M6 xover? They are appear built well with high grade , yet there's a bucket full of fried ones at the shop.

I think if you need to take some pride in your work and stand behind your so called product if you want some sort of recognition for it. If all you are doing is putting together an xover, at least make it look nice. These newbs deserve at least that for the $200 they are forking over to you.

Dont forget this isn't home audio where you throw that mess inside a cabinet, ITS THE CAR! It requires a clean install, and covered from the extremities of the auto environment. If you are offering an caraudio product, dont be half as s....not like you are even offering a 4ohm drivers. Dont take it as insult, take it as constructive criticism.

6spdcoupe
11-02-2005, 11:49 AM
A 4yr old set that members here payed under $150 for are in the same price range as your components sets? For a set of speakers that are rated for 80watts...Thats less than you charge for exposed spagetti on a piece of plywood alone.

Have you seen a Diamond Hex or M6 xover? They are appear built well with high grade , yet there's a bucket full of fried ones at the shop.

I think if you need to take some pride in your work and stand behind your so called product if you want some sort of recognition for it. If all you are doing is putting together an xover, at least make it look nice. These newbs deserve at least that for the $200 they are forking over to you.

Dont forget this isn't home audio where you throw that mess inside a cabinet, ITS THE CAR! It requires a clean install, and covered from the extremities of the auto environment. If you are offering an caraudio product, dont be half as s....not like you are even offering a 4ohm drivers. Dont take it as insult, take it as constructive criticism.

:iagree: and please at least add a barrier strip. At about $2-3 I think it would make things a bit simpler and avoid having to connect the xovers within about 3" from the amp. Obviously the leads you have on there could be extended, but a cheap barrier strip would eliminate that alltogether.

OlogyAudio
11-02-2005, 12:14 PM

I'm not sure where the parts quality jumps for rainbow -- if its at the profi sets or if it is at the plats...

As for the Diamond hex -- The design behind those xovers is well... kinda shady looking. 2nd order filter for a rigid cone, too high in frequency, breakup modes intact, peak at 1khz that should have been nurfed and wasn't, no zobel so the 2nd order filter becomes more like a 9dB/octave filter in this case with diminishing returns the higher up you go...

Yea for the above price you can have barrier strips... I ask people if they want to save extra money or if they want barrier strips or if they want a box... they have all just hidden them in the doors and said it didn't matter if it would save them a few bucks.

I also do custom work and can offer a set using 4 ohm drivers... The only downside with a higher impedance is you need more amplification power... It will be cleaner power though if nothing else :)

We also have a nice very high end dvc 4 ohm midrange coming out... custom. -- Preorder in 2 weeks when the prototype comes in and mark k measures it...

Eugenics
11-02-2005, 01:53 PM
We also have a nice very high end dvc 4 ohm midrange coming out... custom. -- Preorder in 2 weeks when the prototype comes in and mark k measures it...

im excited about those

3.5Max6spd
11-02-2005, 02:30 PM

Too bad just ordered 5" Revelators for my midranges...

what impedance per coil are we talking? DVC2 or DVC4? i'm confused..

alphakenny1
11-02-2005, 02:37 PM
^ I believe it is 4 ohm.

if you don't know heres the thread. http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=122538

OlogyAudio
11-02-2005, 03:05 PM
Too bad just ordered 5" Revelators for my midranges...

what impedance per coil are we talking? DVC2 or DVC4? i'm confused..

Your pick -- 2 ohm or 8 ohm ;) (aka dvc 4 ohm)