PDA

View Full Version : Resonant Engineering Tweeters

acura2005
10-30-2005, 08:33 PM
Hi !
i have used RE 6.5 comps for about 3 months, i love them overall but i think that their tweeters are little bit harsh, do you guyz have any idea if changing their location might help or if there are any other good tweeters that will work best with unadjustable re crossovers. plz give me some advice how to make them smooth at high levels of sound.
Thanks

GSteg
10-30-2005, 08:37 PM
I know someone with the same set and problem. He spoke to RE and I believe they said the crossoverpoint for the RE tweeters are too low. You'll probably have to change the capacitor and/or coil in the passive crossover (less than $10 in parts). Using an EQ won't help as much (been there done that). Crossover point is crucial.

dak0ta_g33k
10-30-2005, 10:42 PM
i put mine in kickpanels. even tho the floormats partially cover them up, they get pretty harsh...

02Corvette
11-02-2005, 10:42 PM
RE said they cross over the tweeters at 3K hz

Logikalliquid
11-03-2005, 01:21 AM
I coulda sworn I read that the RE crossover used a point in the 2khz range.

The cheapest route to go would be to try the crossovers from the Adire Koda set, they are in Adire's ebay outlet store for $20 a pair, they have a 3.5khz x-over point(not too much different) with a 36db/oct slope(RE used a 12db/oct) on them that should clean up the sound a bit.

loserpunk
11-03-2005, 10:44 AM
dave posted somehwhere about them having breakup issues w/ more power than rated if they were crossed @ the original xover....if you want to use more than the rated 60ish watts, you might want to think about raising your xover point...whether that be by gettin a new xover..or going active and just raising the freq

btw if anyone is looking to sell their re tweets i need a pair....**** theifs :)

Tempe
11-04-2005, 11:19 PM
I honestly do not think you need more than the rated power. I was running just 2 channels from a 60x4 amp. Then for sh|ts and giggles I decided to bridge the amp to 2 channels. I had to turn the gains down all the way; they just did not need the extra power!!!

As far as adding more power to get more midbass, I am finally satisfied with my RE comps in that department. "Banned in the USA" by 2 Live Crew with the sub off. Wow I swear the sub is on!!!

Tempe

adam71
11-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Pitch the whole set and get some good comps.

noob with an RS
11-05-2005, 03:22 PM
dave posted somehwhere about them having breakup issues w/ more power than rated if they were crossed @ the original xover....if you want to use more than the rated 60ish watts, you might want to think about raising your xover point...whether that be by gettin a new xover..or going active and just raising the freq

btw if anyone is looking to sell their re tweets i need a pair....**** theifs :)
hey ill sell your tweets bacc to you for 100 dollars.. why so much? it wasnt easy stealing them from u man. ;)

acura2005
11-05-2005, 05:51 PM
Yeah !!
My question was how to lower the harshness of my tweeters? Speakers are being powered 40 wrms from an ALPINE AMP. can i do something to Crossovers to reduce the harshness or just changing the tweeter will solve the problem? plz be clear as i am a newbie to all this. Thanks!

noob with an RS
11-05-2005, 06:03 PM
cant u use an EQ to cut out the harsh frequencies???

GSteg
11-05-2005, 07:51 PM
An EQ will barely help, well it's just not powerful enough. Essentially, a crossover and an equalizer functions the same way. They can attenuate the frequencies lower. An EQ (graphic) will only attentuate a frequency with a fixed Q factor. A parametric equalizer would work better since you can use a wide Q factor, but you will also be attenuating the same frequency the mids are producing (areas of overlapping), so it'll sound funny or you might even notice a spectrum of sound missing.

The problem is that the tweeters are playing at a lower frequency than they should. It doesn't help that crossing lower will also allow the tweeter to play closer to it's resonating frequency.

You most certainly may be able to change the crossover network to raise the crossover point, but make sure you know what you're doing otherwise I hate you see a passive crossover being thrown away. You can also change tweeters, but find a set of tweeters that are the same impedance that can handle the lower crossover point. Or find a set of tweeters of different impedance so that when you hook it up with the current passive crossover, the crossover point will be right where you want.

adam71
11-06-2005, 01:58 AM
An EQ will barely help, well it's just not powerful enough. Essentially, a crossover and an equalizer functions the same way. They can attenuate the frequencies lower. An EQ (graphic) will only attentuate a frequency with a fixed Q factor. A parametric equalizer would work better since you can use a wide Q factor, but you will also be attenuating the same frequency the mids are producing (areas of overlapping), so it'll sound funny or you might even notice a spectrum of sound missing.

The problem is that the tweeters are playing at a lower frequency than they should. It doesn't help that crossing lower will also allow the tweeter to play closer to it's resonating frequency.

You most certainly may be able to change the crossover network to raise the crossover point, but make sure you know what you're doing otherwise I hate you see a passive crossover being thrown away. You can also change tweeters, but find a set of tweeters that are the same impedance that can handle the lower crossover point. Or find a set of tweeters of different impedance so that when you hook it up with the current passive crossover, the crossover point will be right where you want.

I would get new tweets, ditch the passives, and go active with an active X-over.

Logikalliquid
11-06-2005, 03:41 AM
Raising the x-over point should reduce their harshness. the RE mids play flat off axis fine crossed over up to around 4khz.

DiamondFanatic
11-06-2005, 04:00 AM
Pitch the whole set and get some good comps.
Nice post dump, seems a lot of the things that you post you have no idea about... All he wants is a simple fix that he can do himself, so why suggest:

I would get new tweets, ditch the passives, and go active with an active X-over.
Other people have used these speakers and been very satasfied with them (I do not have personal experience with them) but saying that he needs to buy new speakers and then go active when he just wants a simple way to get rid of the unwelcomed harshness (which can be accomplished without doing what you are suggesting) is opening an entirely new can of worms and most likely more problems and questions for him then simply offering a fix.
I would simply adjust the crossover point on the tweeters by changing the capacator in crossover, or by adding an inline capacator. Or you could get the adire crossovers pre-made as previously suggested by Logikaliquid.

adam71
11-06-2005, 01:53 PM
Nice post dump, seems a lot of the things that you post you have no idea about... All he wants is a simple fix that he can do himself, so why suggest:

Because I want to big boy.:p: :p:

Other people have used these speakers and been very satasfied with them (I do not have personal experience with them) but saying that he needs to buy new speakers and then go active when he just wants a simple way to get rid of the unwelcomed harshness (which can be accomplished without doing what you are suggesting) is opening an entirely new can of worms and most likely more problems and questions for him then simply offering a fix.

Sometimes its better to cut your losses and start over with a decent system. He is having nothing but problems and you want him to operate on a passive crossover.?? That isn't a quick fix. Suppose for a second he's never soldered before?? Suppose he's really new to this and doesn't know how to "fix" this?? What I'm suggesting is ending the headaches of a sub par at best component system and starting over with one that will sound nice out of the box.:) :)