PDA

View Full Version : I need advice on components

koin
10-30-2005, 03:26 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here so bare with me. I feel I've become somewhat knowledgable with car audio over the last two or three years...

I have a 2003 F-150 xl with extended cab (so I have that little back seat area to work with). I have a kenwood deck, Kenwood KS68 speakers (speakers are not amplified), Alpine MRD M605 mono amp, Kicker DCVR12 12" Dual Enclosed Woofers @ 2 OHMs (it was one of those package deals at circuit city).

These woofers show some bass but I'm not really pleased with the performance

Now...yesterday I bought a Kicker S12L7 (4 OHM), I'm taking out the other ones and building a box with dimensions I got from Kicker.

MY QUESTIONS ARE:

Is this L7 and the Alpine MRD M605 amp a good combination/Will it pound harder than the kicker COMP VR's?

I might consdider buying a second L7 and MRDM605 for better performance but I'm not really sure what the results will be like..any input ??

I'd also like to know if anyone could recommend a better amplifier, and money is somewhat of an issue

Thanks.

tplaya07
10-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Just hook it up to the Alpine, and if you like it, cool...if not, find a new amp.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kicker-Dual-12-Subwoofer-Enclosure-Package-DCVR12-/sem/rpsm/oid/117529/catOid/-15481/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

^^^Is this the setup you bought? I don't understand why the Subs you have now don't suit you. The CVR's are nice subs. I don't know about the enclosure. It looks ported from the picture, but I can't really tell. You might try putting the CVR's in a different box as well. Who set the gains on the amp (you or CC)? And what exactly is it you don't like about the current setup..not loud enough? Sounds distorted?

mega1268
10-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Where in NY are you? 1 L7 may not be as loud as 2 cvrs sealed. Maybe if you port the L7.

mega1268
10-30-2005, 04:05 PM
o wow those CVR's are ported already? hrm i dunno 1 L7 is def not gonna make that up. Cvrs hit pretty **** hard.

mega1268
10-30-2005, 04:08 PM
I bet those subs are wired retarded and to 4 ohm. they are prolly dual 4 ohms wired in series and i bet each sub is only getting 125 watts. If i was u id take the Cvrs out of the box and see how they were wired. Also i would recommended getting a more powerful amp.

mega1268
10-30-2005, 04:18 PM
ha i just found it. It says on teh website Single 4 ohm load at the terminal Cup. that means each sub is getting 125 watts. open that ***** up and rewire those subs . and ull get 300 watts to each sub instead of 100. that should liven the system right up