PDA

View Full Version : This looks like a good deal

OdieTRP
10-27-2005, 08:30 AM
http://www.woot.com/

I don't know anyone who has ever used Fosgate home equipment but if I had the money I'd be all over this. :crying: The THD ratings are around .005%; that's comparable to Mcintosh. Even if it is a preamp and isn't supposed to have distortion, that's still pretty da** low. Btw, the items change every day so tomorrow the link will show something different.

ballstothewall
10-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Holy crap, that thing costs almost as much as my truck is worth.

JimJ
10-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Hmmm...now all it needs is five tube monoblocks to go with it ;)

OdieTRP
10-27-2005, 02:12 PM
what does that mean?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22Tube+Monoblock%22

Google is your friend; try it sometime...

Over 1,000 hits for "Tube Monoblock"

OdieTRP
10-27-2005, 02:14 PM
Hmmm...now all it needs is five tube monoblocks to go with it ;)

Why stop there? Go for seven. If I see any on Woot.com for $700 I'll be sure to let you know :crazy:

JimJ
10-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Why stop there? Go for seven. If I see any on Woot.com for $700 I'll be sure to let you know :crazy:

I can imagine seven EL34 single ended triode amps...oh baby.

I need new pants.

*edit - oh, I can find them for $700 each. That's the problem, I can't afford five of them, much less seven :)

adam71
10-27-2005, 05:49 PM
I can imagine seven EL34 single ended triode amps...oh baby.

I need new pants.

*edit - oh, I can find them for $700 each. That's the problem, I can't afford five of them, much less seven :)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You and your stupid tubes I swear. I'll admit they have their own distinct warmer sound than solid state but I'm not sold on them.

BTW, just joking on the stupid comment.

JimJ
10-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Actually that was the first thing i did. It was funny you said that. I was just wondering if it was a sarcastic remark and if so why he said it. I was more wondering if there was something wrong/bad about them and the reciever.

Nothing sarcastic at all. I simply meant that because it's just a preamp/processor, it needs amplification to go with it - hence my comment about all-tube channels. I've never seen it done before.

JimJ
10-27-2005, 06:29 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You and your stupid tubes I swear. I'll admit they have their own distinct warmer sound than solid state but I'm not sold on them.

BTW, just joking on the stupid comment.

That's cool...we each have different tastes in audio...otherwise, this hobby would be boring as hell. :)

adam71
10-27-2005, 06:38 PM
That's cool...we each have different tastes in audio...otherwise, this hobby would be boring as hell. :)

Exactly, I was just yanking your chain anyway. I've heard a couple different Sunfire tube amps and they sounded really nice. My only beef with tubes is the price on some of the amps.

JimJ
10-27-2005, 06:40 PM
My only beef with tubes is the price on some of the amps.

My beef as well...the only reason some of those people get away with selling amps for what they do is because idiots will pay it. I've only had experience with one "commercial" tube amp, and it was hand-built by Decware, who makes the only ready-built amp I would ever look into...the rest are simply way too overpriced.

mykeys
10-27-2005, 07:01 PM
I have seen some books on amp building and even go so far as to tell which circuit boards to get and where to get them if you dont mind building your own... Pricey still but far cheaper than name brand.. But then I think you probably have already attempted such things. (Jack Frost)