PDA

View Full Version : rainbow SLC vs ologys

thadman
10-26-2005, 09:14 PM
How would Rainbow SLC components compare to Ologys with Dayton drivers/tweeters?

The Rainbows would be $150 and the Ologys are $350

Also, how much would kickpanels make a difference? they are also $150

flakko
10-26-2005, 09:19 PM
daaang where u gettin the rainbows for 150?

macbethpoe
10-26-2005, 09:20 PM
And since when are Ology's 350!?!?!

XtrmAudioCncpts
10-26-2005, 09:22 PM
daaang where u gettin the rainbows for 150?
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=123358

twoohfour
10-26-2005, 09:24 PM
not even a question...

ology's would be much, much better

but like you said, alot more money too.

thadman
10-26-2005, 09:39 PM
I was just curious as ive heard rainbows are amazing, but I wasnt sure if they were up to the level that ologys are. If they were or near...I could save over $200.

Would kickpanels sound a LOT better than conventional speaker locations?

thadman
10-26-2005, 09:56 PM
And since when are Ology's 350!?!?!

how much did ologys used to be? The tweeters are $90, drivers are $60, and his crossover is $190. Is that a bad deal?

OlogyAudio
10-27-2005, 12:58 AM
how much did ologys used to be? The tweeters are $90, drivers are $60, and his crossover is $190. Is that a bad deal?
thats about right shipped on the xover -- actually $10 less + shipping :) -- they were $150 but costs went up and some improvements were made... :)

Never compared against those rainbows independantly... but I'd say mine win ;)

Decado
10-27-2005, 01:58 AM
Ologys definitely, and also with the ology set you can run IB in your door and don't have to worry about making kicks :) .

flakko
10-27-2005, 02:24 AM
GARRR! he dylan we still up for that comparison thing?

now that im doin wat im doin i have some cash comin in.

6spdcoupe
10-27-2005, 03:23 AM
Ologys definitely, and also with the ology set you can run IB in your door and don't have to worry about making kicks :) .

And you cant run the SLCs in your door???

Savstyle
10-27-2005, 03:34 AM
GARRR! he dylan we still up for that comparison thing?

now that im doin wat im doin i have some cash comin in.
:word: i wanna be in this to!

Decado
10-27-2005, 03:47 AM
And you cant run the SLCs in your door???

I've heard they do much better sealed than IB, just what i've seen/heard...so...ya.

6spdcoupe
10-27-2005, 10:42 AM
I've heard they do much better sealed than IB, just what i've seen/heard...so...ya.

They dont.

Eugenics
10-27-2005, 11:23 AM
ologys will sound alot better no questions asked, but that seems like a good price for the rainbows

3.5Max6spd
10-27-2005, 11:30 AM
ologys will sound alot better no questions asked, but that seems like a good price for the rainbows

have you even had SLC's or heard the a Dayton setup to make an educated opinion?

In competition they've fared against $1k Utopias....can Ology claim that? All i've seen is someone going from Sony xplod coaxs review them...

Eugenics
10-27-2005, 11:34 AM
have you even had SLC's or heard the a Dayton setup to make an educated opinion?

In competition they've fared against $1k Utopias....can Ology claim that? All i've seen is someone going from Sony xplod coaxs review them...

well i guess because you've only read one review you have the right to make a stab.

they beat out a set of Z6's so yes, i'll still stand behind saying they are better then a set of slc's and yes, i've heard a set of slc's.. not bad speakers at all

3.5Max6spd
10-27-2005, 12:00 PM
well i guess because you've only read one review you have the right to make a stab.

they beat out a set of Z6's so yes, i'll still stand behind saying they are better then a set of slc's and yes, i've heard a set of slc's.. not bad speakers at all

Not taking a stab...just seems like you grease up the man's hole very well considering you've never even heard a set of Daytons- its like you have a firm grasp of the man's pocket lining :p:

And Z6's aint hard to beat(by subjective user opinion)...its a love it or hate it set IMO....and 95% of users dont even bother paying attention to a correct install

I'm not trying to claim SLC's are gods gift to audio either...its a solid performing $250 retail set that arguable will put up a fight against many other, more expensive sets. But judging by how ones perception of what sounds good is 90% install...
i find your opinions worthless without personal use of both products to make an educated opinion.

And who said SLC mids need to be enclosed or in kicks to sound best?? I take it who believes in this doesnt spend a dime in dampening a door.....because those mids sound great in about all doors I've heard'm in.

bikejunkie223
10-27-2005, 12:04 PM
I'd do the rainbows because they cost less and are comparable. Ologys are probably a great set, but I just cant get with a 3" tweeter, and having to mod the driver before it will fit in the door, instead of paying less for a great set of comps that will more or less bolt in (iknow, tuning, dampening, etc. but you get my drift)

3.5Max6spd
10-27-2005, 12:13 PM
I just cant get with a 3" tweeter, and having to mod the driver before it will fit in the door, instead of paying less for a great set of comps that will more or less bolt in (iknow, tuning, dampening, etc. but you get my drift)

Thats the draw back in working with non-genuine caraudio oriented drivers....not worth it for some.

squeak9798
10-27-2005, 12:16 PM

How many of these speakers you are commenting on have you listened to side by side......or even at all ??

OlogyAudio
10-27-2005, 12:33 PM

Gimme awhile for some of my sets to end up in competitions ;)

I will go to say that my sets will sound good even in a crappy install (unless its just so **** bad...)

Also that in an equivalent install they would fair pretty well against rainbow platinums... BTW those things are a little bit overpriced... lol

I'd do the rainbows because they cost less and are comparable. Ologys are probably a great set, but I just cant get with a 3" tweeter, and having to mod the driver before it will fit in the door, instead of paying less for a great set of comps that will more or less bolt in (iknow, tuning, dampening, etc. but you get my drift)

Yea that tweeter is a buzz kill for many people... When we get the prototype in for the 6.5" XBL^2 mid (its going to be a little too deep and that will be a buzz kill again... ****) -- but yea it will be an even lower distortion driver, take a ton of power, and have more xmax than many subwoofers... We are looking at 13mm... Preorders in about 2 weeks when we confirm that the driver is to spec... if its not it will take a little longer heh... The best thing is... well it is paper so it has ups and downs because of that but it would be suitable for a 2nd order xover at 3.5khz which opens up a lot of decent inexpensive tweeters... Granted this model will be quite inferior to more expensive units it will simply kick the holy sh*t out of anything remotely near the price (aside from other models in the line using the same midbass driver) -- we are testing a TON of tweeters for suitability... -- should have a line somewhere in the $200s -- one in the $300s -- one in the $600s -- one in the $900s (slightly improved midbass driver) -- just to give an idea... no fixed prices yet...

If specs are meet... the high end should be the best set from a technological standpoint on the market... the subjective aspect still comes into play... some people like accurate sound -- while others swear by focal (eew)

Eugenics
10-27-2005, 01:53 PM
Not taking a stab...just seems like you grease up the man's hole very well considering you've never even heard a set of Daytons- its like you have a firm grasp of the man's pocket lining :p:

And Z6's aint hard to beat(by subjective user opinion)...its a love it or hate it set IMO....and 95% of users dont even bother paying attention to a correct install

someones starting from the bottom up, making a great product for an amazing price, he stand behind his product and is very knowledgeable. i've read a few reviews now and am even more convinced. i've been planning on a set for a while but with school money has been tight. you can call it whatever you want, say what it is. but thats how i stand.

Eugenics
10-27-2005, 01:54 PM
How many of these speakers you are commenting on have you listened to side by side......or even at all ??

side by side? i have yet to compare two speakers at the same time

mega1268
10-27-2005, 04:55 PM
right now i have the Dayton Rs tweets with the Dayton 6 inch mid powered by a kicker 800.4 I have to say the tweets are pretty amazing really hard to mount tho they are ****ing huge. I think the midrange/midbass lacks alittle this could be because its 8 ohm and the tweets are 4 ohm and the tweets are much more sensitive. I dunno. you wont be upset with them thou. U dont really need kick panels Just lots of sound deadening.

mega1268
10-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Ill sell u 2 Dayton Rs 6 inch drivers for 40 bucks shipped

Decado
10-27-2005, 11:18 PM
And who said SLC mids need to be enclosed or in kicks to sound best?? I take it who believes in this doesnt spend a dime in dampening a door.....because those mids sound great in about all doors I've heard'm in.

Hey, that's just what I've heard so :p: .

All i've seen is someone going from Sony xplod coaxs review them...

And as for that, if I can get together with foxpro5 sometime here I'll be able to compare them to MB Quart Premiums and Boston Pro 60's also. And just because I upgraded from Sony coaxials doesn't mean I don't know what good and detail sound like, although it's reasonable to say so seeing as how I haven't heard much else to compare it to as of yet.

You don't always have to mod it to fit it in the door, I didn't have to do anything to the mids to fit em in my door. This would be something that's subjective to whatever car you're putting it in.

someones starting from the bottom up, making a great product for an amazing price, he stand behind his product and is very knowledgeable.

That's another reason to go with an ology set, he knows what he's doing and is VERY helpful. He's put up with alot of questions from me, :laugh: . I doubt rainbow is going to have near that great of customer service ;) .

slain93gsr
10-28-2005, 12:05 AM
dylans a super good guy once i get out of my slump of bad luck i'll be trying out a set of ologys

bikejunkie223
10-28-2005, 12:59 AM
I have just read a few reviews on installs involving the dayton mids and having to cut off the sheilding to fit them is what I'm referring to. I'm not saying it's difficult, just something that likely will need to be considered. Man, you try to write an intelligent post without bashing anything, and people get all bent out of shape. Dylan, your gear must be great to have all these e-thugs to have your back like they do. Recomend something else, and you get post-hounded! Yikes!

Eugenics
10-28-2005, 01:04 AM
I have just read a few reviews on installs involving the dayton mids and having to cut off the sheilding to fit them is what I'm referring to. I'm not saying it's difficult, just something that likely will need to be considered. Man, you try to write an intelligent post without bashing anything, and people get all bent out of shape. Dylan, your gear must be great to have all these e-thugs to have your back like they do. Recomend something else, and you get post-hounded! Yikes!

e-thug is hardly a justifyable term

and i happen to own a set of COUGH iridiums COUGH

bikejunkie223
10-28-2005, 01:11 AM
this is the internet, justification has nothing to do with anything

Eugenics
10-28-2005, 01:12 AM
this is the internet, justification has nothing to do with anything

in that case your an e-thug too

for shizzle

bikejunkie223
10-28-2005, 01:33 AM
I'll beat your e-*** nOOb! Don't you make me use this keyboard! I just think it's funny that there are the defenders of Ology waiting to bash anyone with an opinion other than "they rule" They may indeed rule, I was just pointing out some issues I have read about that are worthy of consideration in this question. YOU GOT THAT PUNK?!!

Eugenics
10-28-2005, 01:38 AM
I'll beat your e-*** nOOb! Don't you make me use this keyboard! I just think it's funny that there are the defenders of Ology waiting to bash anyone with an opinion other than "they rule" They may indeed rule, I was just pointing out some issues I have read about that are worthy of consideration in this question. YOU GOT THAT PUNK?!!

i have never debated that a 3 inch tweeter wouldn't be a pain in the *** to install in many cases and couldn't make someother speakers better canidates in some cases

beyond that i have never debated that i wont bash my keyboard through my monitor in hopes of it flying out of yours and harming you

i mean that in the kindest of ways

Decado
10-28-2005, 02:40 AM

Lol, what the fvck are you talking about? I said that not all cars the drivers have to be de-shielded and debucked, I wasn't bent out of shape, lmao, I think you need to calm down and stop thinking people are talking **** when they're not, :laugh: .

beyond that i have never debated that i wont bash my keyboard through my monitor in hopes of it flying out of yours and harming you

i mean that in the kindest of ways

Ohh man...:hilariou:.

flakko
10-28-2005, 03:56 AM

sounds a lot like the type-r fan club goin on rite now...

OlogyAudio
10-28-2005, 03:58 AM

Hopefully it will be more worthy after Mark K, Npdang... others -- measure and review the new 6.5" drivers in ~2 weeks :)

Decado
10-28-2005, 03:59 AM

Except we're cooler :p:, :laugh:.

OlogyAudio
10-28-2005, 10:56 AM
Except we're cooler :p:, :laugh:.
:D

Raven
10-29-2005, 08:04 PM
It's my opinion that speakers get to a point where the improvement over $300 set X and $500 set Y is nowhere near the difference between $200 set Z and $300 set X. if you're going between two very high quality speaker sets, you will notice much less of a difference than going from a low/mid quality speaker to a high quality one.

What I'm getting at is while from a technical point Ology's set may be superior to the Rainbows in places, and inferior in others (After all, he only made the crossovers, not the drivers themselves) the differences are not palpable enough to clearly make one set better than the other. So it's all down to preference. Since you can't listen to both side by side, it's a matter of he said / she said and possible flipping a coin once or twice. Not like you can go wrong either way.

azazel
10-29-2005, 08:09 PM
It's my opinion that speakers get to a point where the improvement over $300 set X and $500 set Y is nowhere near the difference between $200 set Z and $300 set X. if you're going between two very high quality speaker sets, you will notice much less of a difference than going from a low/mid quality speaker to a high quality one.

What I'm getting at is while from a technical point Ology's set may be superior to the Rainbows in places, and inferior in others (After all, he only made the crossovers, not the drivers themselves), so it's all down to preference. Since you can't listen to both side by side, it's a matter of he said / she said and possible flipping a coin once or twice. Not like you can go wrong either way...

I agree. There comes a point when the amount you get for your dollar diminishes and the differences between competing products become a non-issue. Think twice before buying a component set for $1000 when a $300 one would likely be 99% of what the more expensive set is.

Dozy_production
10-30-2005, 06:28 PM
:yes: :handclap: