PDA

View Full Version : radio cage

Dozy_production
10-26-2005, 01:15 AM
have couple cages laying around the garage and my friend needs a new unit installed in her corrola. She damaged the given cage to her alpine deck she was about to install. i have a old jvc cage from 95', would that work as a replacement cage?

JimJ
10-26-2005, 01:16 AM
Alpine decks lock into the cage via two small pins that slide up and in on the sides of the deck. The JVC wouldn't have these, and thus, no way to lock the receiver into the dash without getting creative :)

Dozy_production
10-26-2005, 01:20 AM
improvision. got to love it. thanks

JimJ
10-26-2005, 01:22 AM
Most shops around here at least will give you a cage or trim pieces for free, or practically nothing at all.

I know I had to get a replacement when I snapped the mounting tabs and trim piece apart putting in my 7894 the first time.

DiamondFanatic
10-26-2005, 01:22 AM
Her best bet is to get an alpine mounting cage, the older alpines mount as jack described, 05 alpines have a different can that use keys to get the deck out (tabs on the sides lock it in place) Wherever you go, make sure you get the right style. If you have a hard time finding one, PM me I have both styles.

zfactor
10-26-2005, 01:44 AM
this will sound like a cheap way out but..... use some black electric tape wrapped around the radio and slide that bad boy into any sleeve itll work and itll be hard as hell for someone to pull out...... old school way ..... hate to say it does work ive had to do it on occasion

DiamondFanatic
10-26-2005, 01:57 AM
this will sound like a cheap way out but..... use some black electric tape wrapped around the radio and slide that bad boy into any sleeve itll work and itll be hard as hell for someone to pull out...... old school way ..... hate to say it does work ive had to do it on occasion
I have done that once before, but if you have to remove the radio for some reason its a real pain in the ***...
Dozy I just read your post again, what year is the corolla, are you sure that it isn't iso mounted?

Dozy_production
10-26-2005, 09:01 AM
its 97 corolla. i havent actually seen the toyota because she just got it. she just told me she screwed over the alpine cage trying to get it out. thanks for the input ill take a look today whats up. thanks again

KaeZoo
10-26-2005, 12:47 PM
If the factory radio and brackets are still there, you can just use the brackets on the new head unit. No need for the cage.

Dozy_production
10-26-2005, 06:06 PM
well thanks for the input found a cage for it