PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from my Soundlines?

flakko
10-25-2005, 02:50 AM
i dont know... even though i love my soundlines, i think that i may be in for a change....

How does this sound?

CDT ES 600 woofer with an LPG textile tweet?

alphakenny1
10-25-2005, 03:01 AM
funny many people (including myself) are wanting to change from the SLC's. not hating on the component set but just a lil trend i see lately. :crap: .

haven't heard the CDT's but i can vouch for the LPGs. excellent tweets. very smooth. I think i need better quality MP3's because in a few songs the LPGs expose the hissing so bad. but when i put in a normal cd in, these things shine.

going active?

Savstyle
10-25-2005, 03:15 AM
lol, im in the same boat but im gonna wait ology and feandil to realese there comp set, or ill buy some horns havent decided yet

flakko
10-25-2005, 03:21 AM
funny many people (including myself) are wanting to change from the SLC's. not hating on the component set but just a lil trend i see lately. :crap: .

haven't heard the CDT's but i can vouch for the LPGs. excellent tweets. very smooth. I think i need better quality MP3's because in a few songs the LPGs expose the hissing so bad. but when i put in a normal cd in, these things shine.

going active?

wow this is a trend lol

i think thats y i think i should get a silk tweet (maybe sans the LPG)

nah im gonna go passive... active = too much work. :p:

Savstyle
10-25-2005, 03:29 AM
wow this is a trend lol

lazy bones

alphakenny1
10-25-2005, 12:37 PM
wow this is a trend lol

like Niggz89 said, lazy :laugh: .

OlogyAudio
10-25-2005, 02:34 PM
wow this is a trend lol

Pfft passive is 100x more work thn active if you have to design it :)

newho... if you can just pick up the passive assembled and go with it... thats easy as hell...

Instead of the CDT ES you could get the ****** 6.5 ;) it will be a few months though... or you could go with vifa MG series (striking resemblence here?) -- great value for the money (based on spec atleast) -- I have yet to try them ... lpg isn't too shabby ethr :)

flakko
10-25-2005, 03:22 PM
Pfft passive is 100x more work thn active if you have to design it :)

newho... if you can just pick up the passive assembled and go with it... thats easy as hell...

Instead of the CDT ES you could get the ****** 6.5 ;) it will be a few months though... or you could go with vifa MG series (striking resemblence here?) -- great value for the money (based on spec atleast) -- I have yet to try them ... lpg isn't too shabby ethr :)

yea im notorius for my laziness...

i was thinkin about a passive from you ology... by that "******" 6.5 do you mean adire's? that thing sound interesting.

audiolife
10-25-2005, 03:34 PM
upgrading in product only usually doesnt get it done i would suggest a solid eq and playing with slopes curves and enclosures for the mid..

GSteg
10-25-2005, 04:28 PM
upgrading in product only usually doesnt get it done i would suggest a solid eq and playing with slopes curves and enclosures for the mid..

He said he was lazy:D

audiolife
10-25-2005, 04:30 PM
being lazy has nothing to do with adding an eq ond playing with what is in the mid enclosure....as far as laziness im sure i am much lazier lol...i am a capricorn lol

GSteg
10-25-2005, 05:02 PM
I better hope he's good at using an EQ then. Wouldn't want him to spend more money on something he wont be able to make full use of. Watch, he's gonna get a GEQ and the sliders are gonna resemble a smile :D

audiolife
10-25-2005, 05:11 PM
lol

3.5Max6spd
10-25-2005, 05:26 PM

I agree.....so many dont utilize what they have to their fullest capability

audiolife
10-25-2005, 05:30 PM
not only that an eq s a lazy mans audio tool lol

flakko
10-25-2005, 06:27 PM
yea... i was thinkin about an eq... but don't have the equipment to set it properly (i ferget wat its called)

audiolife
10-25-2005, 06:35 PM
ears? rta? lol

zfactor
10-26-2005, 01:42 AM
there is a guy on eca selling a whole cdt comp es set for 315 shipped fyi. and i have the cdt 07 series stuff i think its pretty awsome. the vifa mg IS a great alternative to the yello es driver i have used them and they are almost identical drivers. the mg's are far cheaper than the cdt's. keep the lpg x-ed over kinda high and it'll sound great i agree with going active if you can muvh better overall depth and clarity compared to passive setups. and if you are looking cdt and get the 560 model x-overs remember please there is not tweeter protection circuit on those x-overs so dont overdrive the lpg's....

Decado
10-26-2005, 03:37 AM
You should try the ology set, you really would be happy with it.

flakko
10-26-2005, 03:47 AM
i think i may have to replace my sets...i let some kids use my car for the stereo and they turned it up too high...
when i got in the car i smelled the dreaded burning smell.

Raven
10-26-2005, 11:53 AM
A loss of a fine component set.

I've been considering jumping on this bandwagon and going DIY. It's a not a matter of SLCs being bad, they're the best comp set I've ever listened to, I just feeling like doing something radical.

alphakenny1
10-26-2005, 02:20 PM
^ There's another one. lol.

3.5Max6spd
10-26-2005, 05:35 PM
^ There's another one. lol.

Its the bug...no matter how good it is theres always an itch to try new things..

flakko
10-26-2005, 10:40 PM
oh... wait my speakers arent blown... the midbass actually improved for some reason... maybe they werent bein pushed enough to loosen up eh?

Decado
10-26-2005, 11:09 PM
Its the bug...no matter how good it is theres always an itch to try new things..

Ya...it is definitely the bug, I just got my SX and already want to try something new.

alphakenny1
10-27-2005, 12:05 AM

yes im getting that itch right now :naughty: .

alphakenny1
10-27-2005, 12:07 AM
oh... wait my speakers arent blown... the midbass actually improved for some reason... maybe they werent bein pushed enough to loosen up eh?

lol. i thought you wanted to change cuz you wanted something new but it was because you thought they were broken or something. if so, yea we have a SLC keeper!

flakko
10-27-2005, 12:09 AM
WOO HOO! goin against the grain!

yea.. ima keep them :D

OlogyAudio
10-30-2005, 01:41 AM
WOO HOO! goin against the grain!

yea.. ima keep them :D

By 6.5s I mean the OlogyAudio XBL^2 ;) Excelsior... Think Lambda Acoustics motor -- with the whole XBL^2 thing -- paper -- 11.8 mm of xmax -- paper cone -- phase plug -- high power handling -- figure like 150 watts continuous... Trying for a well behaved FR upto 10khz but we will see when they get measured if they hit that goal... DVC 4 ohm (**** for both home and car audio) -- oh yea... and 94dB/w efficient... yea I do mean WATT not 2.83V -- thats about 101dB/2.83V FYI @ 2 ohm (~4 watts) -- Very low inductance... very low... I'll leave it there for now... Let just say if it comes out as speced it will be one of the best midranges on earth and it will take a little while for us to best it :)

twoohfour
10-30-2005, 10:22 AM
By 6.5s I mean the OlogyAudio XBL^2 ;) Excelsior... Think Lambda Acoustics motor -- with the whole XBL^2 thing -- paper -- 11.8 mm of xmax -- paper cone -- phase plug -- high power handling -- figure like 150 watts continuous... Trying for a well behaved FR upto 10khz but we will see when they get measured if they hit that goal... DVC 4 ohm (**** for both home and car audio) -- oh yea... and 94dB/w efficient... yea I do mean WATT not 2.83V -- thats about 101dB/2.83V FYI @ 2 ohm (~4 watts) -- Very low inductance... very low... I'll leave it there for now... Let just say if it comes out as speced it will be one of the best midranges on earth and it will take a little while for us to best it :)

this is all i want. exactly what i want. exactly. what. i want.

chinny
10-30-2005, 10:59 AM
im feeling a change also :(

Decado
10-30-2005, 06:41 PM
this is all i want. exactly what i want. exactly. what. i want.

Ya, it sounds like one hell of a driver, i'm going to need to get a couple when i get the money.

Raven
10-31-2005, 04:01 PM
im feeling a change also :(
I was thinking Adire/CSS FR125s (sp?), the 60-20K 4.5" speakers, matched with Aura RPM 10s in kicks, and maybe have Ology take care of the crossover network. Maybe Shiva 12s crossed over to 450 matched with the FRs...

Like I said, radical. :evil:

OlogyAudio
10-31-2005, 06:09 PM
I was thinking Adire/CSS FR125s (sp?), the 60-20K 4.5" speakers, matched with Aura RPM 10s in kicks, and maybe have Ology take care of the crossover network. Maybe Shiva 12s crossed over to 450 matched with the FRs...

Like I said, radical. :evil:

Those FR125s beam nicely .. I'd consider a super tweeter ;) unless you can angle them both right at your head (screw the passenger in the front seat ;) lol)

I'd also consider an active transition between the auras and CSS... because its better in this case ;) -- granted I dont get to make any money :( but yea... it is generally a better idea to run things active that low... parts values get huge and expensive in a hurry... not to mention its nice to tweak how much bass-midbass you are getting to taste ;)

Savstyle
10-31-2005, 06:20 PM
since were talkin about it. is there anymore info?

Raven
10-31-2005, 08:27 PM
Those FR125s beam nicely .. I'd consider a super tweeter ;) unless you can angle them both right at your head (screw the passenger in the front seat ;) lol)
I'd also consider an active transition between the auras and CSS... because its better in this case ;) -- granted I dont get to make any money :( but yea... it is generally a better idea to run things active that low... parts values get huge and expensive in a hurry... not to mention its nice to tweak how much bass-midbass you are getting to taste ;)

It's been my goal to get full range with two drivers in the front of a vehicle. If I had the ability to make a driver the same way you can, I would ultimately make a component set with an 6 or an 8 and a nice tweeter that would play flat 20k to 30hz. Before you ask how, just know nowhere in that did I say it would be efficient. ;) An 83dB efficient comp set that you need at least 250rms per side to get moving, but wouldn't have to worry about subwoofers. =p

Apart from that, my plans revolve around a high displacement sub that can play high enough to match them to a full range driver like the FR125. If I could find a sub capable of doing 1500 to 2khz without breaking up, I'd just pair up a sub and a compression horn and call it a day. It's finding that kind of sub that's the problem.

acousticguitar
11-01-2005, 02:04 PM
heh, i must admit i am thinking about changing my SLCs. i like them, but i really liked a focal set i heard at the shop. i guess i do like colored sound in my car, though i like transparent headphones.

and i somehow ran into a set of Focal Mistrals for less than $100. :) 3 way though, i'm likely gonna talk to dylan about some custom crossover. no crossovers w/ the set or i would be set. (such a good deal that i couldnt stop myself... was going to wait for a DIY driver to come out, but oh well!)

now i have: Focal Mistral, Kicker Resolution 56.2 and Rainbow SLC265.03... and only 2 cars. which to sell? sigh.