PDA

View Full Version : Components Vs. Braxial

destruction
10-23-2005, 01:12 PM
I am thinking about tossing my components and getting a 150rms-ish braxial set.
Any reason why comps are better than brax. (other than tweeter placement)
I am getting new door panels and don't want to cut them.

Ignatowski
10-23-2005, 01:20 PM
I run an Aura MR62,which is a braxial comp set - they kick ***
I dont think they offer much advantage at all other than mounting convience
and also they are not very common so selections/choices are limited........

JimJ
10-23-2005, 01:23 PM
I like it how "braxial" is now = to "coaxial"...sort of like "Kleenex" taking over "tissue" :)

[/mini-rant]

Anyway, there are a few component sets out there that offer coaxial mounting of the tweet, I know, because I'm shopping for them now :) ID Chameleons, Boston Pro Series 6.5's, Boston Pro60's, Boston Z6's, Crystal CSX's (I believe) and Morel's are ones that come to mind.

Ignatowski
10-23-2005, 01:27 PM
I like it how "braxial" is now = to "coaxial"...sort of like "Kleenex" taking over "tissue" :)

[/mini-rant]

Anyway, there are a few component sets out there that offer coaxial mounting of the tweet, I know, because I'm shopping for them now :) ID Chameleons, Boston Pro Series 6.5's, Boston Pro60's, Boston Z6's, Crystal CSX's (I believe) and Morel's are ones that come to mind.

The crystals are co-ax I think,good ones at that..........
No one mentions them here much,but they are prolly the best speaker
for the price...........

destruction
10-23-2005, 01:29 PM
would you take some boston pro's over cdt's?

JimJ
10-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Yes, IMO...

bri487
10-23-2005, 01:32 PM
dynaudio would be my first choice.

squeak9798
10-23-2005, 03:05 PM
would you take some boston pro's over cdt's?

Definitely.

squeak9798
10-23-2005, 03:07 PM

[/mini-rant]

Memphis Syncs ;)

OZ Audio also had I set I believe; CX 130 and CX180.

JimJ
10-23-2005, 03:09 PM
Memphis Syncs ;)

OZ Audio also had I set I believe; CX 130 and CX180.

I've been recommended the Memphis's before, but I couldn't find a place to buy them.

Linkage, pleaz?

squeak9798
10-23-2005, 03:53 PM
I've been recommended the Memphis's before, but I couldn't find a place to buy them.

http://memphiscaraudio.com/dealerlocator.asp?offset=580

;)

The Sync8's are what will be in my car (as soon as I get around to installing them)

OlogyAudio
10-23-2005, 04:10 PM

;)

The Sync8's are what will be in my car (as soon as I get around to installing them)

..... 8" kevlar/fiberglass cone mated with a little dinky aluminum tweeter without a nice damped rear chamber??? 2nd order??? What a horrible idea...

That midwoofer is gonna start having issues @~ 1.2-1.5khz for sure -- and I doubt that tweeter could play under 2.5k... unless its got some hidden features :P

Just my .02

squeak9798
10-23-2005, 04:12 PM
..... 8" kevlar/fiberglass cone mated with a little dinky aluminum tweeter without a nice damped rear chamber??? 2nd order??? What a horrible idea...

That midwoofer is gonna start having issues @~ 1.2-1.5khz for sure -- and I doubt that tweeter could play under 2.5k... unless its got some hidden features :P

Just my .02

And yet they have won many world finals :uhoh:

But yes...they must be horrible, when you haven't even heard them.......

OlogyAudio
10-23-2005, 04:20 PM
And yet they have won many world finals :uhoh:

But yes...they must be horrible, when you haven't even heard them.......

I've never rly looked into SQ competition rules... but if they can possibly win ethr the competition wasn't that stiff... or they obviously don't check for THD and energy storage :P -- depending on what exact cone profile they decided on -- there will ethr be some fun peaks or nulls in the FR due to breakup modes improperly dealt with...

Never seen those 8" before... but I'm just saying from a technical standpoint... horrible idea...

Granted some people like distortion...

squeak9798
10-23-2005, 04:24 PM
There are plenty of speakers/sets that look bad "on paper", but sound fantastic.

Which is why spec'ing out "on paper" isn't the only thing matters.

Though you are still drawing a ton of generalizations about a speaker you know nothing about.

OlogyAudio
10-23-2005, 04:37 PM
There are plenty of speakers/sets that look bad "on paper", but sound fantastic.

Which is why spec'ing out "on paper" isn't the only thing matters.

Though you are still drawing a ton of generalizations about a speaker you know nothing about.

I saw some (edit: 5.25" I'm pretty sure it was this series) on a sound board that sounded fine to me :) -- just I have issues with an 8" 2 way with such a tweeter.... possibly with a very very robust tweeter... Thn again at $250 what do you expect I guess... but saying they are the best out there -- I have to disagree...

The best fiberglass 8" mid I've ever ran across would be the vifa MG22wo09... It suffers from a mode at 850 hz which can be overlooked...

Linear distortion goes nuts over 2khz though -- starts to deviate off axis from the on axis reference at 600hz and rly runs into problems at 1.5khz -- this should not be lowpassed any higher than 1.5k .... 1.8k would be OK but pushing it past its limit IMHO (but 1.5 could be worse on the tweeter -- than 1.8 would be on the mid) Pair that with the TBFC -- and you are still under $200 in drivers costs... This is well behaved enough you could rly just run it active...

destruction
10-23-2005, 04:59 PM
components in a kick panel would be ok too. the local tweeter builds kick panels too.

$$mok3d
10-23-2005, 05:10 PM
PG xenon are "braxial" arent they?

zfactor
10-23-2005, 05:33 PM
i have the cdt 07's and they blow the bostons away........

JimJ
10-23-2005, 05:37 PM

;)

You've got PM, good sir.

audiolife
10-23-2005, 06:06 PM
I saw some (edit: 5.25" I'm pretty sure it was this series) on a sound board that sounded fine to me :) -- just I have issues with an 8" 2 way with such a tweeter.... possibly with a very very robust tweeter... Thn again at $250 what do you expect I guess... but saying they are the best out there -- I have to disagree...

The best fiberglass 8" mid I've ever ran across would be the vifa MG22wo09... It suffers from a mode at 850 hz which can be overlooked...

Linear distortion goes nuts over 2khz though -- starts to deviate off axis from the on axis reference at 600hz and rly runs into problems at 1.5khz -- this should not be lowpassed any higher than 1.5k .... 1.8k would be OK but pushing it past its limit IMHO (but 1.5 could be worse on the tweeter -- than 1.8 would be on the mid) Pair that with the TBFC -- and you are still under $200 in drivers costs... This is well behaved enough you could rly just run it active...
my 5.25's have the "dinky tweeter" and i can pull a 37 (no 3 db separations) from 20hz-20k on the audio control rta with the front components only lol. the 8's have the larger tweeter. mount them in kicks and wahhlahhh you have a point sourced speaker that sounds correct. back in the day there were aria (those are memphis now btw) and the "higher end" kef. people would nut over the kef but they IMO colorized the sound the sync's on the other hand are very neutral which allows them to sound great on more than just jazz or classical. just because a speaker looks 100% better on paper doesn't matter its how you use it in the car. i swear alot of people think because a car has "x" speaker in it it must be world class and dominate when in fact it probably just looks nice and has a 20k larger bill attached. the hi end pros use parts they will never talk about or show too often (like diversity circuits) and just because you have those doesn't mean you will necessarily sound better either.

Mackenzie
10-23-2005, 09:16 PM
PG xenon are "braxial" arent they?

yes