PDA

View Full Version : What speakers do you recommend?

KingDiamond
10-22-2005, 02:48 AM
I am starting to get the parts for "part 2" of my sound system in my 2005 Mazda 3. I have an IDQ10v2 subwoofer powered by a 250W Memphis MCD-250 amplifier. The bass is great, just how I like it.

My system is SQ oriented, and it needs to have tight but powerful lows, and not harsh but smooth highs. I had Focal Polyglass 165V2 comps in my last car and I liked them but the highs might have been a little too harsh for my tastes.

For the speakers I bought a Memphis 16-MC300 amplifier, it's rated at 150W x 2 at 4 ohms. Although one review says they tested it at 165W. This is the most powerful 2-channel amplifier I have ever used for front components, and I don't listen to music that loud, but I got a good deal on the amp. My last car had the Focals powered by a PPI PC275 and it was plenty loud but I got this amp for the same price as a used PC275.

Anyway, what component system will work well with 150W of power? I'm trying not to spend more than $300 on the front components. I'm not sure if I should stay away from CDT speakers or not, because I helped my friend install some CDT CL-61's in his Eclipse and they didn't sound that great. It was probably the amp though (Profile). I have used Boston Acoustics in the past and I really liked their speakers, and I like Eclipse speakers too, although I haven't heard any of their new stuff.

How are MB Quart's speakers these days?

flakko
10-22-2005, 02:57 AM
Rainbow or PM ologyaudio . I can vouch for rainbows! :)

edit: looks like mbq got bought out once again by Maxxonics.

acousticguitar
10-22-2005, 05:06 AM
ditto on the Rainbows.

audiolife
10-22-2005, 05:11 AM
where are you wanting to put the speakers?

KingDiamond
10-22-2005, 10:39 AM
The Mazda has the stock system with a tweeter flush mounted on the top of the door near the sideview mirror area and a mid at the bottom of the door. I'm probably going to have the same locations. I know that might mess up the imaging because the tweeters are so high but there are no aftermarket kickpanels available for the car yet and I don't feel like making custom kickpanels. I don't want to sacrifice legroom anymore and I want a stock appearance.

I can still use this amp to power some speakers that are rated at 100W RMS can't I? Because I always hear that it's better to have an amp with more power than you need rather than less power.

Also where can I buy Rainbows? I can't seem to find an online retailer.

audiolife
10-22-2005, 12:03 PM
sounds a ok look into a deadener mat or liquid as well.

KingDiamond
10-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Has anyone heard Image Dynamics components? I'm thinking about those.

JimJ
10-23-2005, 01:59 PM
Has anyone heard Image Dynamics components? I'm thinking about those.

Very, very good speakers.

OlogyAudio
10-23-2005, 02:31 PM
PM ologyaudio

x2 ;)