PDA

View Full Version : adding speakers to home theatre system

jaygeorge1979
10-21-2005, 01:58 PM
I am interested in getting one of the bose lifestyle systems. I heard one demo for the upper end model with 5 surround sound speakers and the acoustimass bass module, but i really wanted a little more volume and power coming from the direction of the screen. I want to add additional speakers, some nice floorstanding ones, to the overall system. What is the best way to do this? i know i could buy a seperate two channel reciever and split the RCAs from the back of the TV to go to the bose system and this seperate reciever. Or do i just need an amp? Can i just buy an amp that is not a reciever? i am really not too familiar with home audio and what the terms mean. I REALLY liked how clean the bose system sounded, so I definately want to keep that, with a couple more speakers added. Can somebody help me out?

kickinaudio
10-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Build it right, and don't buy bose

93 saturn sl2
10-21-2005, 02:06 PM
bose=too expensive!!!!! we have the wave radio though and it does sound good.

93 saturn sl2
10-21-2005, 02:10 PM
forgot to add...Get a 5.1 or 6.1 HT receiver from a good company, then you can either get a speaker package with everything you'll need but it wont have floors, or you can get 2 floor speakers 2 surrounds 1 or 2 center channels and 1 powered sub. I have a Yamaha HTR-5660 receiver with Cerwin Vega RE30 floor speakers, CV surrounds, AR center, KLH rear center, and Sony Powered sub and I love how it sounds!!!!

jaygeorge1979
10-21-2005, 02:13 PM
WOW fast replies...how much did your whole system cost saturn? cuz it sounds like it would be pricey...and if i like how clean bose sounded, what kind of speakers/reciever would you recommend?

Also, if i buy tower speakers with a built in subwoofer, side firing, does that need a seperate power amp or crossover or is it built into the unit and i just add power? would buying towers with subwoofers AND an additional powered subwoofer by overkill, or would that clash?

93 saturn sl2
10-21-2005, 02:17 PM
The receiver was $500 new from BB but it was last years model so I got it for $300 new, the floors were about $300 new I'm not sure though, The rear CVs were like $100, the AR center was $70 used, the KLH rear center was free from my dad, and the Sony sub was like $150 or $200. I didnt get everything at once though.

Im not sure what your saying about the bose though, you could always get just bose speakers if you like them that much and a different receiver etc.

and Im not sure about the side firing speakers.

jaygeorge1979
10-21-2005, 02:26 PM
well the bose did sound awesome, but you said they were too expensive, but i can get a new one on ebay for a couple grand, which is what you spent on your system too...maybe u can tell me some other brands that sound as good as bose but maybe arent as expensive? or maybe u can answer my initial quesiton: do i need an amp or a reciever to hook up extra speakers?

JimJ
10-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Axiom and Ascend Acoustics come off the top of my head for relatively cheap and excellent sounding HT speakers...and if you want to run more speakers correctly, you need a receiver that can handle the extra channels - although if you ask me, 7.1 isn't worth the upgrade from 5.1.

93 saturn sl2
10-21-2005, 02:29 PM
Whats your budget?

Heres a very nice receiver
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Harman-Kardon-Surround-Sound-Receiver-AVR-135-/sem/rpsm/oid/109001/catOid/-12949/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

these speakers are good, do you want a big woofer cause you want floor spekers?
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Infinity-Floorstanding-Speaker-PRIMUS-250-/sem/rpsm/oid/75520/catOid/-12950/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

surrounds
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Infinity-Bookshelf-Speaker-PRIMUS-150-/sem/rpsm/oid/75519/catOid/-12950/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

center
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Infinity-Center-Channel-Speaker-PRIMUS-C25-/sem/rpsm/oid/75521/catOid/-12950/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

JimJ
10-21-2005, 02:31 PM
Infinities always sound very harsh to me...IMHO, but their tweets are way too harsh for comfort.

jaygeorge1979
10-21-2005, 02:58 PM
my budget isnt really an issue...I want clean sounding speakers, with maybe a little more juice than the bose ones were offering...i figured i could add another 2 channel amp to the system to get some more sound coming from the screen...is this not possible?

jaygeorge1979
10-21-2005, 02:59 PM
also, where could i go listen to some good speakers? does BB or CC carry them? or do i have to go somewhere better...like the Axiom and Ascend Acoustics brands...where can i listen to em? cuz i dont wanna buy online without listening to em somewhere first...

PV Audio
10-21-2005, 03:12 PM
Buy
Other
Sound
Equipment

JimJ
10-21-2005, 03:15 PM
also, where could i go listen to some good speakers? does BB or CC carry them? or do i have to go somewhere better...like the Axiom and Ascend Acoustics brands...where can i listen to em? cuz i dont wanna buy online without listening to em somewhere first...

I understand your reticence to not buy something unheard...but...you'll find in home audio, that's going to limit your choices significantly unless you have a high-end shop around you that will actually spend the time to let you audition things properly.

jaygeorge1979
10-23-2005, 07:35 PM
I hear ya mr. frost...so im guessing nobody here thinks bose is a good idea....i can respect that....so who here can tell me a similar speaker manufacturer that sounds as crisp and clean as bose?

Thanks for all the help

PV Audio
10-23-2005, 07:53 PM
everything but

JimJ
10-23-2005, 07:56 PM
Axiom and Ascend Acoustics come off the top of my head for relatively cheap and excellent sounding HT speakers...and if you want to run more speakers correctly, you need a receiver that can handle the extra channels - although if you ask me, 7.1 isn't worth the upgrade from 5.1.

^^^

What that guy said.

Bake
10-23-2005, 10:03 PM
I notice you mentioned a couple of times that you want more sound from the screen area. Additional L/R speakers aren't really going to help you with that when viewing movies and such. You need to make sure you get a center channel speaker that is capable of giving you the output you want on screen. As far as speakers go Definitive Technology has some nice stuff, you might wanna check them out as well.

jaygeorge1979
10-24-2005, 11:26 PM
well im new to the home audio scene...so you are telling me that throwing some towers right next to the screen is pointless if i just get a nice center? is the center really capable of givng me some SOUND or just giving me some sound

i will look into the brands you have mentioned :) thanks for all who contributed...is there a website i can go to learn the basics of home audio? i did car audio for awhile so i know the bare bone basics but i want to know how home audio differs...thanks

JimJ
10-24-2005, 11:33 PM
The center channel is responsible for most of the on-screen dialogue in a 5.1 system...you don't want a wimpy one.

jaygeorge1979
10-25-2005, 12:58 AM
i wasnt aware how important the center channel was...good call mr. frost...i think if im getting some good speakers like the ones you have alerady mentioned, then i wouldnt have to worry about it cuz im sure the center channel is more than sufficient...

PV Audio
10-25-2005, 01:07 AM
invest your money into fronts, center and a sub.